Heinkel He 111 G-3 (radial engines!), Luftwaffe trainer, Denmark 1943-44,scratch conversion from Roden C kit, 1/72,

JWM

Hi

I have just finished my second He-111 done within He-111 STGB. This is very rare variant G-3. From what I've learnt only a few of them were originally build few next were converted from C during WW2 times. 

Similar was in my case - the model was done by rather massive scratch conversion of Roden He 111 C kit. I said "massive" because it was not only about engines and props but also about wings, which in case of "G" were already not old style elliptical but newer style with straight sloped leading edge and also almost straight trailing edge. More about the build is told here, including problems with terrible whitening of varnish which happen in the end...

The scheme presents machine from used as trainer for blind flying in school FFS B 34 located on Castor airfield near Copenhagen in 1943-44 (she crashed in 1944).

Decals are from Hasegwa He-111 Z (crosses and swastikas), number "28" is from Hasegawa D-520, the emblem (a styled bull) is hand painting on decal, the code letters are by Fashion (edit: sorry, I mix the name, should be "Fantasy" ) Printshop (I have found them in net and after four days decals were on my desk in Poland!).

Here is the model:

50334285037_e8df4126d8_b.jpg

50334285352_c14f0c09ed_b.jpg

50333439908_2e5de7f958_b.jpg

50334285802_b2c69d4848_b.jpg

50333440353_32639a48ef_b.jpg

50334286232_e35f80c27b_b.jpg

50334286417_aece0f42e5_b.jpg

50334126791_8bb5610cdf_b.jpg

50334126956_ab244436c1_b.jpg

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
correction of error
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, fredsopwith said:

Neat Conversion, really nice. Just in passing, does anyone do a Spanish CASA version of the 111 in 1/72 ?

John.

Thank you! :) 

Regarding CASA 2.111 - I have checked on Scalemetes and there is Dekno conversion set 

calemates.com/pl/kits/dekno-models-k-0300-casa-2111b-pedros--169788. 

169788-11185-pristine.jpg

However, the CASA was He 111 H 16 with RR-Merlin egg-plants,  so the engines you can take (copy in resin) from any Lancaster Mk I/III kit and longer (closed) upper gunner position fro Hasegawa Zwilling kit... I even have spare engines from Lancaster (Revell) since I was converting once it into Mk II...

As a post war variant I will not go for it but it could be a nice subject to do.

regards

J-W

• Like 3

9 hours ago, billn53 said:

Nicely done, especially for a kit with a reputation of poor fit.

Please post a link for Fashion Printshop.  My google search is coming up empty.

Tnak you! :)

Sorry, I mixed up the name, it is (like in tags) "Fantasy Printshop"

https://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/decals/aircraft-decals/1-72-scale/

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Really nice that Jerzy, very much the slimmer sleeker prettier version of the he 111 family. I'm quite taken by it. I've just bought a Italeri Ju 86 kit, maybe the engines from that would work on one of these?

Steve.

Steve, thank you! :) 

The engines in G-3 was the BMW 132 H engine, so exactly it is from Junkers 90 (early) and FW 200 B. The "H" variant was a concept of power egg plant, like RR Merlin in Lancaster. In general BMW-132 was developed from Pratt-Whitney Hornet engine. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_132).  The Ju 86 E and Z (civil) were driven by BMW 132. I have used spare cowlings found in model of RS Do 17 P kit, with some modification (added two small inlets on top and bottom of it, removed some bulged structures on cowling not seen  here, filler some openings, added some other linear bulge ...). 

Regards

J-W

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

It is Fantasy Printshop Bill, try here.

Steve.

Steve, thanks for correction :). In tags was right name I do not know why I mixed it. Perhaps Dr Freud will tell something about it :)

Regards

J-W

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very interesting conversion! I didn't know about this variant, so thank you very much for this pedagogic model!

Excellent work, too.

Kind regards,

Joachim

2 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Great work on producing a type of He111 that I had never heard of (I bet I'm not alone in that). It looks so different from any other He111 with those radial engines.

Duncan B

Joachin and Duncan, many thanks! I've bumped on this variant some years ago in Net, but also I have found that in China they converted one or more their "A" variants into radial Write engines (AFAIR). I have bought the He-111C in intention to build the radial He-111, but I decided only few weeks ago, whane I came int STGB  that it will be G-3, not the Chinese in-filed modification...

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

On 9/13/2020 at 10:17 AM, Vulcanicity said:

Excellent conversion, and the G-3 is definitely new to me! You learn something new every day...

Thank you! 

I recalled, this is the page, when I got acquired with "G-3" variant for the first time some years ago:

http://www.luftarchiv.de/index.htm?/flugzeuge/heinkel/he111.htm

On 9/13/2020 at 10:32 AM, Mig88 said:

Great job on a little known variant! Looks good too :winkgrin:!

Miguel

Thank you!

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek