Jump to content

Spitfire MkVa Airfix 72


Recommended Posts

Very nice! I still have not purchased this little gem of a kit. Seeing yours makes me want to acquire one for myself.

 What type of paints did you use for this?

                                                                                

                                                                                                    Todders

Link to post
Share on other sites

A truly excellent Spitfire with a finish and weathering that looks very convincing!

 

Since the Mk V was introduced in early 1941, it almost certainly didn't have an aerial wire. Already during the autumn of 1940, Spitfire I:s and II:s had their HF radios exchanged for VHF radio sets, with its shorter aerial integral to the antenna mast. In many cases, the mast prong and the rudder attachment were left in place, even though they were now superfluous.

 

Very good modelling!

 

Kind regards,

 

Joachim

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Sorry for digging an old thread up, but did you confirm that this aircraft had the yellow leading edges ? I'm building the same aircraft and have been given mixed information.

 

Many thanks 

 

Phil

Link to post
Share on other sites

All the late features are there: Ocean Grey, C1 roundels, Sky tailband and spinner... Why shouldn't it have the yellow leading edges?

 

(Pedantic detail - they would usually taper out towards the wingtip.  But I can't say that was an absolute rule.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

All the late features are there: Ocean Grey, C1 roundels, Sky tailband and spinner... Why shouldn't it have the yellow leading edges?

 

(Pedantic detail - they would usually taper out towards the wingtip.  But I can't say that was an absolute rule.)

Airfix makes no mention in the painting scheme or on the box art, on a Facebook group I asked the same question and came up with 2 saying yes and 2 saying no

Link to post
Share on other sites

Excuse me for being unimpressed by the opinion of two unidentified people on social media without knowing their identity, credibility, nor reasons.  Though only their reasons actually matter.  However, Airfix have come up with some unusual markings in the past that have been justified by photos, so without seeing the photo(s) this is based on we should keep an open mind.  But it would be odd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Excuse me for being unimpressed by the opinion of two unidentified people on social media without knowing their identity, credibility, nor reasons.  Though only their reasons actually matter.  However, Airfix have come up with some unusual markings in the past that have been justified by photos, so without seeing the photo(s) this is based on we should keep an open mind.  But it would be odd.

This why I'm asking if anyone can confirm it for this particular airframe

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys, for the yellox leading edges i'm not sure at 100%, i don't found any photos of this plane but with the ocean grey i've decided to put them.

Don't make the same mistake as me with the aerial, i'm wrong on mine, Spitfire31 there explained well.

 

Good build to you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/09/2020 at 20:46, Spitfire31 said:

A truly excellent Spitfire with a finish and weathering that looks very convincing!

 

Since the Mk V was introduced in early 1941, it almost certainly didn't have an aerial wire. Already during the autumn of 1940, Spitfire I:s and II:s had their HF radios exchanged for VHF radio sets, with its shorter aerial integral to the antenna mast. In many cases, the mast prong and the rudder attachment were left in place, even though they were now superfluous.

 

Very good modelling!

 

Kind regards,

 

Joachim

 

Most interesting information regarding the aerial wires and the mast prong being left in place.. You learn something new on this forum every time! Thanks - i had no idea about this so will consider this point on future models. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...