MkV "Lady Jane" (1/35 Meng)

APA

I thought I would take some 'Artistic' shots of this for this one :)

20200912_115006-2

20200912_115037-2

20200912_115234-2

20200912_115143-2

20200912_115204-2

20200912_115309-2

20200912_115221-2

20200912_115256-2

20200912_115128-2

20200912_115059-2

And for size comparison here is Lady Jane next to the Whippet..................

20200912_115401

See what I did there? 😉

And for a like or like comparison.....

20200912_115401-3

This was my second go at the black and white effect. The first didn't work as I tried to create various shades of grey. This turned out a bit blue using Vallejo Black and White Acrylics. I then went on the hunt for 'true' black and whites. It turns out there isn't one!!

I purchased Windsor & Newton titanium white, Ivory and Mars Blacks in both acrylic and oils. In the end I used Vallejo Black and AK White which is closer to a Titanium white than the Vallejo. The process is to paint it pure white then layer the black gradually to create the shading rather than mix. A black wash as per usual for contrasts then AK white then black built up pigments for the weathering in the same way as the base hues. The only other ingredient was a rub over with AK Polished Steel Pigment for highlights particularly on the tracks.

Build pics are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143851440@N06/albums/72157715501842432

As far as I know I cannot find any other example of this which I can't believe no one as tried it before??

As usual I have gone OTT on the weathering grrrrrr.

A

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Haha, wrongfooted as well. Trying to figure out the clever digital trickery you used for the split picture.😀

Really well done on an impressive model and paint job. I'm sure you've already thought of it, but it would look great in front of photos of the battlefields of the time.

Top job.👏

• Like 1

This is very good indeed. When I first started scrolling down I thought I was looking at a reference picture from a book!

Great photography and excellent finish on an interesting subject. For my tastes  it is not overweathered...it looks just right for this type of vehicle.

Well done 👍

• Like 1

Thanks all for the replies and glad you like it!

The more I look the more I think I like the weathering amount as well. It grows on you I suppose.

Just to make things clear all the pics are 'colour' with no trickery involved.

A

Edited by APA

22 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Haha, wrongfooted as well. Trying to figure out the clever digital trickery you used for the split picture.😀

Really well done on an impressive model and paint job. I'm sure you've already thought of it, but it would look great in front of photos of the battlefields of the time.

Top job.👏

Thanks. I have ordered a set of WW1 tank figures and I'll add one to make the effect stand out more.

There are a few options you could do. Add it to a B&W diorama or do a half B&W and half colour with a Challenger II and two crewmen looking at each other etc.

A

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, APA said:

There are a few options you could do. Add it to a B&W diorama or do a half B&W and half colour with a Challenger II and two crewmen looking at each other etc.

Or for a more contemporary subject like the Challenger, or as in this image, an M1 Abrams perhaps finish it in shades of green as if it were being viewed through a night vision device ?

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Amazing painting! I haven't seen too many models using the B&W technique- there was one of a Spanish civil war BT tank in a ditch that sprung to mind but certainly not a technique you see every day! I wouldn't have the guts or skill to do this- have you done this before? 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 6:44 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

I've seen a Hurricane done like that, but that's the only one.

So someone has done it before! Drat!!

22 hours ago, GRK said:

Amazing painting! I haven't seen too many models using the B&W technique- there was one of a Spanish civil war BT tank in a ditch that sprung to mind but certainly not a technique you see every day! I wouldn't have the guts or skill to do this- have you done this before? 

So someone has done it before again!! Double drat!

Thanks GRK. This was a one off. Thought it would be fun and it was. The shading was relatively easy as every photo out there is an accurate reference 😁. The trick was to use only blacks and whites as any greys had a colour tint since there is no such thing as true black or white. All paints are either a very very very dark or very very very pale colour. I have a couple of figures I want to add to both this and the Whippet when I pluck up courage to try a figure!🤡

Andrew

I've been studying your photographs again. I see things in this model that I would miss in a coloured one.  You have done it really really well. I'm even tempted to think that you just took B&W photos of a regular model. LOL.

I also remembered the term Grisaille in art which is what you have done. It dates back to at least 1304 in a fresco by Giotto. So yeah, it HAS been done before. But that takes nothing away from your independent invention of the technique.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grisaille

• Like 1