England Expects... or not... - 242 squadron Hurricane Mk1

37 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I'd double check, as from what I can see,  they look the same size as the roundels

X48146_4.jpg?t=

36 inch in 1/48th is 3/4 of an inch,  or 19mm.   30 inch in 1/48th  are 5/8ths inch or  about 16 mm high for comparison.

Now gone, there was a thread on the creation of this sheet, started by the decal designer, where i had to draw lines on a photo for him to understand the port side F on UF-S had a longer stroke.... 

No, I don't have the sheet, I should have asked Hannants for complimentary copy for helping though.

A small aside,  there is a photo of a LE-T about, V7203,

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049865-fabric-wing-hurricane-v7203/

and this post

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235005804-hurricane-p3886-uniqe-fabric-wing/&do=findComment&comment=3737491

which confirms V7203 had a fabric wing, so can'r be built from the Airfix 1/48th kit, but maybe of interest.

HTH

spacer.png

spacer.png

So looks like they went with 30" codes and 36" roundels. Back to square one for me.

9 minutes ago, PinkThorn242 said:

So looks like they went with 30" codes and 36" roundels. Back to square one for me.

Oh, sugar.  That I didn't know.   Also was not not picked up on when the profiles were posted,  though Xtradecal do seem to do stuff like this on a fairly regular basis. :fraidnot:

As I said, I pointed out the UF-S glitch, designer said no, it's not, and I had to draw lines onto a pic to prove the point.

Only then did it get redone.

Assuming you are not some kind of raving detail obsessed anorak loony (like the one that stares out the mirror at me on occasion) then maybe easier to just live with the 30" codes, or re jig the LK-A codes,  you have the L, the A becomes the V and done with care, the K could become an E, if the stoke width on the RF codes is the same, you can use some of those bits as well. 

It's a bit of messing about, but do-able. 

HTH

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, PinkThorn242 said:

Need to get some more Loctite gel to put the etched bits in since my normal superglue's just a bit too thin and imprecise.

I use a cut-off sewing needle eye to place small drops of superglue in small/tight locations. 

27870158927_5892864c01_c.jpg

27870158947_fd0e5bbe2d_c.jpg

I just put a small puddle of glue onto something I can either clean or throw away after. I then dip the eye into that so a tiny amount gathers on the vee.

Chris

• Like 1

So it took a lot of swearing at my tweezers and nearly losing it in the carpet twice but the compass bracket is finally into place. I don't know if I'm going to fully detail it since it might not be visible on the finished model, but it's a start.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so after some thought and considering the fact I've had a hard time staying motivated I probably won't have this done in time for the end of the GB. It's probably better for my sanity if I stick to doing builds at my own pace rather than trying to hit GB deadlines.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry to hear that mate, but you're probably right, there's not a huge amount of time left and there's no point in rushing or stressing yourself out. It should be a fun and relaxing hobby, I hope you have a good build with your Hurricane and maybe do a 'Ready for inspection' post when you are done.

Cheers,

Stew

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

Sorry to hear that mate, but you're probably right, there's not a huge amount of time left and there's no point in rushing or stressing yourself out. It should be a fun and relaxing hobby, I hope you have a good build with your Hurricane and maybe do a 'Ready for inspection' post when you are done.

Cheers,

Stew

Yeah, I'm planning to pivot this into a regular build thread and take it at my own pace.

• Like 2