Boeing B-52H Stratofortress, Revell 1:144

neilg

1 minute ago, binbrook87 said:

That's really nice mate. Great finish. You don't see too many of these built up but the scale is perfect for this aircraft size. I've got the Italeri 1/200 one in the stash that i really must get around to making one day. 🤔

Thanks, I've had this one about 5 years, always meant to get round to building it!

I've never seen the Italeri version but I'd love to see your build of it.

I used Humbrol satin varnish to finish it, which has given it a nice smooth sheen, but I've just noticed in the pictures a bit of the dry white residue on the port leading edge.

I have no idea why that happens - it nearly ruined my B-2!

IMG_0442

22 minutes ago, neilg said:

I used Humbrol satin varnish to finish it, which has given it a nice smooth sheen, but I've just noticed in the pictures a bit of the dry white residue on the port leading edge.

Yes I've had that before with some matt varnishes when they're either too old or not shaken enough. Try going over the affected area with some gloss varnish then when dry.... back over it with the satin again. 

Edited by binbrook87
  • Like 1

Lovely build, this is a beauty and pretty big even in 1/144.

Academy have a new tool B-52 in 1/144 coming as a follow on to their B-1B, if its as good as the B-1 it should be well worth a go! Good reason to build another!

Eng

• Like 1

You have a serious Airprox problem in the last picture!

😆

Sorry.  I'll get my coat and go....

Edited by FatFlyHalf
Spelinge
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Lovely mini monster.

I've had residue issues with humbrol spray varnish in high humidity.

I've never had a residue issue with the sprays, but I used the bottled stuff this time.

The gloss spray is impossible to control - the valve is sticky and it keeps spraying for a bit after I release the button, and tends to fizzle out, resulting in larger drops spattering onto the surface.

i noticed I had more of the residue where I had applied Decalfix after - I wonder if it's reacting?

2 hours ago, woody37 said:

Wow, that was quick! Great finish :)

There's not really much to this kit to be honest - but I suppose you could really go to town with detailing and weathering on a machine of this age.

My weathering skills are really not good - I've been practising on some small 1:72 kits and knew I would have ruined this B-52 if I had attempted it.

6 hours ago, kapam said:

That's a great lookin' B-52.

I applaud your clean, precise building & finishing skills; so important with this scale!

:clap::clap:

Thanks, I haven't seen a B-52 this clean!

But I thought if messed up the weathering, it was not going to be easy to hide!

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2020 at 10:10 PM, kapam said:

That's a great lookin' B-52.

I applaud your clean, precise building & finishing skills; so important with this scale!

:clap::clap:

I agree! The B-52s that deploy from Barksdale AFB are often quite clean and it's fairly rare to see them dirty. On the other hand, I recently saw a picture of one of the Air Force Reserve Buffs and that bird looked pretty rough.