1/700 trumpeter 19941 missouri

decided to finally attempt this thing, but am running into lits call it conceptual issues. I want to use a wooden deck. The kit is made up of a three part hull/deck . the majority of the superstructure is molded  onto the deck.   There is a stern and bow insert.  My concern here is that its not really possible to tell  if any of the wooden decks out there leave a lip of sorts  for PE to be attached to.  if the wooden decks only cover  the area of the deck parts (inserts) then the hull side forms a natural lip for the PE  and there really isnt any conflict. However, if the wooden decks cover the kit edge to edge, then the issue becomes how do  traditional model finishing  steps interact with these wooden decks that are out there? Do clearcoats and the like discolor them, how does PE work with them etc? Some of these are self adhesive and I dont want to accidentally pull one up  while trying to apply PE.. which I am admittedly a novice at.....(trial and error and 4 kits resulted in one complete 1/350 afv club gato)