Royal Navy Phantom - 1/48 scale decals

DOUGHNUT

There is a set of Xtradecal X48186 for sale on that famous auction site, they are not mine, and £9.35 at the moment, includes an 892 machine along with a couple of RAF FG1.

This is why I tell my missus I had to buy that kit/ decal/ detail set  right there and then- you never know when they go out of stock! 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the responses.  It is only a small problem but the Hannants sheet X48186 is for the modified Phantom that visited a US Navy carrier and does not include the words Royal Navy.

Assume this was produced to be use with the Hasegawa kit.  Maybe somebody has a spare Hasegawa decal sheet ?

Hmm. I believe I have two very early UK Phantom XtraDecal sheets somewhere.
Let me have a gander and get back to you.

[edit]

Sorry, it's 48-001 and 48-002 and that's both RAF service.

On 9/11/2020 at 9:25 PM, DOUGHNUT said:

I have the Revell 1/48 Phantom FGR2 but want to build as a Royal Navy aircraft.  I am happy to deal with modifications to the kit but seem to have drawn a blank on 1/48 decals ?

Thought Hannants did a set but nothing on their website ???

Hello DOUGHNUT,

your kit is the "old" Hasgawa kit, right? At least my two Hasegawa boxings are both FG.1s; not FGR.2s. Despite this fact both kits only have decals for FGR.2.

To create this I used decals from several manufactures (Xtradecal, some kit's decals, most of the stencils from Icarus' Luftwaffe RF-4E set, Omega symbol from Cutting Edge and so on). It is one if not not very simple way to create a RN "Cab". Over 340 separate decals on one model...

spacer.png

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

You're right that operational RN markings for the FG.1 in 1/48 are very, very hard to come by. I'd have been very happy with the kit decals, but I've got an FG.1 in a special boxing and have been unable to find any aftermarket for a bog-standard 892 aircraft. I've had to settle for an Aeromaster sheet with a 700P example.

RAM Models make this sheet with an eye-watering price of almost £25: https://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/ram-decals-148-early-british-mcdonnell-douglas-phantoms--48001-83748-p.asp

Jon

• Like 1

Maintrack Models produced a large sheet of their own a long time ago. They were a special type of decal which was placed on the kit and then soaked to remove the carrier and paper parts. I'm sure RN a/c were catered for.

Just found the Almark sheet I mentioned.

It s Almark A48-1 and includes 5 a/c of 700P, 767, 892 and the Phantom Training Flight.

There are also stencils but on my example they are mostly illegible.

Suspect that it may be difficult to find now

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 6:48 AM, DOUGHNUT said:

Thanks for the responses.  It is only a small problem but the Hannants sheet X48186 is for the modified Phantom that visited a US Navy carrier and does not include the words Royal Navy.

Assume this was produced to be use with the Hasegawa kit.  Maybe somebody has a spare Hasegawa decal sheet ?

There is a Xtra Decal sheet of white code letters including the ROYAL NAVY in white. X48045.  Don't forget the Xtradecal stencil sheet as well, the stencils in the Revell kit are for an RAFG machine.

Other than that you are good to go.

PS  don't feel bad about this, I have 3 1/48 Hasegawa RN Phantom kits and they all have thick, yellowed and virtually unusable deals inside.  When I build them it'll be the XtraDecal sheets I use.

• Like 1

On 12 September 2020 at 6:48 AM, DOUGHNUT said:

I'm using X48-186 in conjunction with uncorrupted ROYAL NAVY titles from the Xtradecal Sea Vixen sheet, but note the latter is now oop

We could use a reprint of some of the older stuff and a chunkier NLG leg with the extra scissor link from a firm like Aerocraft.

Tony 

On 9/14/2020 at 4:48 PM, ReccePhreak said:

For what it’s worth, that’s the only decal sheet I’ve found besides the original kit decals that has the correct wing walkway markings for an RN jet.

Also, both of the Aeromaster FG.1 decal sheets I tried for my model were unusable. The red parts were brittle and broke up in water.

Ben