Tamiya M10

Dads203

Cheers guys :thumbsup:

Just adding the radio antenna, this is made from 0.3mm carbon rod so pretty 

strong stuff. I buy it in bulk from a UK supplier for around 3 quid per metre so a hell of a lot 

cheaper than Accurate Armour who charge about £10 for 5 small bits. 

Added the whip section joins from some micro insulation just slipped over the rod, not 100% accurate but close enough for me.

Each section should taper down toward the tip but doing this in 35 scale is a bit of task. Each section base joiner is colour coded on the real thing.

P1090467

P1090466

Its massive and really looks out of place but I have checked and its correct 4 sections would make the antenna over 15ft long so only 3 on mine.  

Before someone gets wise it's not glued in place yet so looks a bit wobbly !! 

P1090468

P1090469

In Primer 

P1090470

P1090472

Blast of OD green and pick out the base sections and the job is jobbed. 

• Like 19

The antenna base was spring loaded so the gun tube would of pushed past it with ease, they did issue a tie down for the whip which could be pulled back almost horizontal. It would of reduced the range but would stop the whip from hit hitting power lines and snagging in trees. The base is positioned right next to the radio itself and this was done to keep the coax from the radio to the antenna base as short as possible to reduce feeder loss. 

Same as the Sherman, with two radios fitted, one radio in the turret bustle so the antenna base is on the turret roof and the other in the sponson side up front next to the bow machine gunners position - antenna base on the front right position. The second location I think was only on the early Sherman’s with the older radio sets. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That is quite a length creation !

You're really dragging this out, you can't put off the Tiger build for ever just by making an enormous aerial! 😉

Great work, now crack on!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

You'll have someone's eye out with that.

Nice work on those aerial joins Dan. Where did you get the carbon rod from?

John.

Here you John 

https://www.carbonfibreprofiles.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_72&products_id=25&zenid=j0akseam8hrboro6vbmv0fuf44

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Have I read this right that delivery starts at £20, seems to push the price of a rod up somewhat

Price to mainland England & Wales is £20.00 for orders under 15kg, and £0.50 per kg thereafter; mainland Scotland £27.00 for orders under 15kg, and £0.50 per kg thereafter (excluding VAT).

• Confused 1

Try these guys, this company was the last place that i bought from about 4 years ago 

Back then they were about 3 quid in postage and I ordered about 3 metres of the stuff. 

https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/0-28mm-carbon-fibre-rod

Some of the other companies have by the look of it banged up the postage costs but if you use google you can find plenty of others

that sell the same product.  

It was just to point out the fact that rather than buying from a model company who charge a premium that its far cheaper to buy direct for a fraction 

of the price.. Plus you get a lot more ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Chaps, so the last few bits now and then Tiger build time ;)

Crew seats, these will get folded away as the crew are in action poses. One more of these to add.

P1090481

P1090474

P1090479

Antenna painted up. Not yet glued 

P1090482

P1090483

P1090484

Hopefully finishing this week chaps.

• Like 15

Superb, outstanding what else is there to say - you have most definitely raised the bar again!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Tiger now

Stay safe             Roger 

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

My brush cleaner turned up yesterday, a recommendation from Rob @robgizlu and its very good, ran some old Tamiya brushes 

through it and they have come up like new. they were consigned to the not quite good enough for detail painting but now back in front line use.

You can see the crud that have come off my clean brushes on the second pic, I thought they were quite clean tbh but this stuff is very good. 

P1090485

P1090486

Working on the last few bits of crew stowage now. just to busy it all up. 

P1090487

P1090488

P1090489

Enjoy 

• Like 7