Tamiya M10

Dads203

Last crewman "The Commander "

Just blocked in with no highlights or shadows applied at this stage. 

Jacket -base  - Panzer Aces 314 Canvas 

Trousers- base - Vallejo 70843 US Dark Green 

Belt and gaiters- Panzer Aces 318 US Army Tank Crew 

Boots - Vallejo 70872 Chocolate Brown 

Helmet -Vallejo 70843 Dark Green 60% + Vallejo 70871 Leather Brown 40%

Flesh base- Vallejo 70876 Brown Sand

Holster Straps  - Vallejo 70871 Leather Brown

P1090390

P1090391

P1090392

P1090394

Lets bring him to life now ... Or try :frantic:

• Like 11

Basic face done,

A very thin wash of Vallejo Cavalry Brown 70982 added to the flesh base and left to dry.

Then added Panzer Aces Highlights Flesh 342 to Vallejo 70876 Brown sand and made a light mix of the base coat, this was applied in 

the highlight areas and blended in. You can see some character coming out of the face now. Still loads more highlight and shadow to add to this,

it's very much the first steps. 

Helmet was weathered and chin strap painted up.

P1090396

P1090397

P1090399

More to follow ;)

• Like 12

11 hours ago, Andy J said:

Well I've a confession to make 🙄....I've been looking closely at.......WWII Battleships  though I haven't opened the wallet.....yet 😉👍

Don't do it Andy, it's the top of a slippery slope!

Have to confess I've a handful of the Tamiya 1/350 battleship in the stash, look at them occasionally but I'd want to be fitting etch handrails and brass barrels etc etc. You know the OCD trap of which talk.

I still have the Revell Titanic in progress which I should really finish off...

11 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Falkland Para with “That Rifle” and a IWS, made by Imperial Gallery or Fort Royal figures. I did these as leaving presents for guys on the Sqn, very popular but painting DPM is always fun. I’ll sling up some pictures tomorrow of one I made back in 1995 which I’ll refurb. Reckon I can do a slightly better job now :frantic:

Thanks Dan be nice to see. 

As a change of scene I could be tempted English civil war or Napoleonic era..

Saves awkward camo but could introduce bare metal blades and armour....

A lot of these figures I've seen come from China and I'm a bit sceptical about importing anything at present particularly figures from China!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Face is coming to life, done with the new 000 brush, great improvement over the Tamiya Ultra fine?

Yeah, the Series 7 is really really good for detail work and it keeps its point extremely well, I'll get more for sure, The Tamiya brushes

are still very good and I'm still using them for a lot of things atm but more general stuff.

Gunner gets his sidearm ;)

P1090406

P1090407

Commander, the highlights and shadow have started on his clothing. Some work done on his boots and some shadows added to around his belt, Trousers look 

messy at the moment but more shadow and highlights will tie it all in later. 

P1090402

P1090404

P1090405

• Like 16

Another masterclass in figure painting Dan your crew look superb!

Think I might have to consider subcontracting the crew of my M32.............................................................................

Stay safe           Roger

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Smashing job , The Figures are looking good dan, I've been swotting up looking at you tube videos on painting them

Have a look at this chap, it’s a long vid but worth hanging in for the long haul mate. 

Just makes me realise that I have a long way to go ! 
:frantic:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Have a look at this chap

I'm  on it

7 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Just makes me realise that I have a long way to go ! 
:frantic:

Not as far as me by a mile🤯

Cheers dan 👍

• Thanks 1

Cheers guys for the like and comments :thumbsup:

Right, one for the die hard figure painters, I'm struggling to get a smooth transition from my highlights to shadow,  

to me it looks like I've dry brushed the highlights to hell and back on this chap? 

Any tips on how to make it subtle, I kind of get it but in practice it's very different to execute and achieve a nice feathered blend.

Warts and all now chaps no hiding anything. 

The Real Deal - M41 jacket. 

M41 Jacket

Before :- Base coat with minimal work, no highlights and only the jacket zip area with some dark shadow. 

P1090402

And during the process. Some shadow and highlights, looks like a badgers bottom at the moment, and starting to look a bit muddy or chalky which isn't good to me. 

I think that the shadow areas might be too opaque and large -not tight enough? Possibly it should be a bit more translucent in these areas ? I dunno ? 

P1090408

P1090409

P1090410

P1090411

P1090412

So any tips-advice would be good chaps, I'm struggling with this ATM :shrug:

• Like 8

Cheers chaps, food for thought indeed. I did try a glaze with a lightened base mix with this one but I might revisit the idea. As for oils I’m trying to move away from them on figures, but I might try a localised shadow brown wash -  I actually gave most of them away a few months ago :frantic:

• Like 1

Dan, as a struggling figure painter myself, I feel your pain.

While I don't have any answers there are a couple of things that might be the trouble. To me, it looks like your shadows have gone a bit more brown then they maybe should be? Like you said, it may be that they are too big as well? I wonder if the combination of those two factors is what makes the coat look more dirty then shadowed? What water are you using to thin the paint? If you are using tap water that might be what is causing the chalkiness.

The flesh tones, by the way, look fantastic and I fully intend to try the initial wash you employee next time I've got a face to do.

Matt 

Edited by Matt Parvis
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Guys,

Using tap water as my thinning medium, we are very lucky here as the local water is very soft indeed, We have a hot tub so I test the water everyday, I know the natural PH and Alkalinity for when I balance the water. It’s not the calcium that's causing it to mud up or chalk up but probably my colour choice that’s off :frantic:

I've started to infill the shadow somewhat and blend in a bit more to try and balance the transitions of shade. 

It's looking slightly better now and a bit more unified on his right hand side, above where his chest rig is going to go and around the collar. 

P1090416

P1090414

P1090415

Cheers

Dan 

• Like 7

For me Dan I think he looks tremendous!

Afraid I probably can't add much more than has already been said, way above my abilities already! 

I suppose looking at the Alpine packaging the transition appears to go from deep shadow, poss very dark green blending/merging into pale green almost white for the highlights.

spacer.png

Saying all that, still think he's looking really good!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cheers chaps,

Time again to bore you with the latest update, more working of the shades I'm afraid.

I did manage to do more on the face, hands and belt, it's looking better but I have a long way to go 

yet with this figure painting business. His bino's are yet to be painted up and added and unit decals added. 

P1090434

P1090429

P1090435

P1090436

P1090431

P1090430

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Never boring, it’s fascinating watching the evolution.

It’s certainly an evolution Jon, I’ve struggled a bit with these figures but I’ve learnt a hell of lot in the process. Hopefully I’ve given a bit of an insight for you chaps ;)

• Like 2

He looks good Dan, and the holster really adds to it.

Going back to earlier posts. Again, I'm not figure painting expert, but this was told to me by someone in the IPMS branch that I used to belong to. He used to paint excellent figures and they were all done with acrylics. He said that the secret behind his method was to keep building up the colours with well thinned layers until you got the desired result. For the shadows in the creases on the uniforms, he added a darker colour to the base colour, increasing the amount with each well thinned coat.

HTHs.

John.

• Thanks 1