Tamiya M10

Dads203

Cheers Guys ;)

Mini decal session tonight, adding some of the small details to the kit. looks like the crew commander is a Rodney   :o Gentleman. 

U.S. stencils that seem to adorn all US kit were from Passion Models, I'd like to see more companies provide these overlooked details.

Passion models only give you 4 in the pack which is a real let down. 

Blast of flat varnish next once dry. 

P1090227

P1090226

P1090228

P1090229

Enjoy folks 

• Like 19

Well Dan if the devil is in the detail then you sir are Lucifer himself 😈. Fantastic work and something that will catch people's attention when you finish the build....this really is excellent work mate great stuff 👏 👍 👌 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Somewhere the other side of exquisite by now Dan

3 hours ago, Dads203 said:

U.S. stencils that seem to adorn all US kit were from Passion Models, I'd like to see more companies provide these overlooked details.

Passion models only give you 4 in the pack which is a real let down. 

Perhaps a call to @Paul @ Parkes682Decals to see if he could produce a suitable set ?

• Like 1

And yet again you raise the bar.....

Decals have gone down really nicely.

Quite right too more of this sort of stuff would be really nice, ammo boxes, crates, packs, uniform badges etc

Atb

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dads203 said:

I'd like to see more companies provide these overlooked details.

Couldn't agree more. These small items really give a model some life. Those packs and the lieutenant's bars on his helmet (stop sniggering at the back) really work. There are a few producers who do some stencils. Archer do some, as does Sabingamartin, but the latter are all IDF ones.

Great work Dan.

John.

• Thanks 1

That is what I keep missing the small details just take it so much further than I could get to in the past but now i will have to remember these tips  :book:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1

Cheers Guys, so on the home ward leg of the build now, last few bits getting done and sorted. 

Crew next up after the last few bits so still a while till the end. 

Indirect fire sight painted up. 

P1090237

More packs being done, I still have another two in paint, I've done one in a green colour as they seem to have a range 

of colours.  Needs a matt coat yet. 

P1090230

P1090236

P1090233

First three ready rounds get decaled up, a satin varnish once they have dried off.

P1090235

And the side skirts get primed, painted tomorrow as I have booked the rest of the week off :frantic:

P1090234

Enjoy 

• Like 17

7 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Cheers Guys, so on the home ward leg of the build now, last few bits getting done and sorted. 

Crew next up after the last few bits so still a while till the end. 

Indirect fire sight painted up. 

P1090237

More packs being done, I still have another two in paint, I've done one in a green colour as they seem to have a range 

of colours.  Needs a matt coat yet. 

P1090230

P1090236

P1090233

First three ready rounds get decaled up, a satin varnish once they have dried off.

P1090235

And the side skirts get primed, painted tomorrow as I have booked the rest of the week off :frantic:

P1090234

Enjoy 

Coming together nicely Dan what a superb build this will be when finished 👏 

• Thanks 1

Cheers Guys, 

2 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Dan - those shells are first rate!

What metallic did you use for the brass?

Rob

I used this for the cases Rob:- 

P1090239

First set of three was done with Mig Ammo Brass but I wasn't convinced with the finish so stripped them back and re painted them with Alclad.

nothing really wrong with the Mig Ammo brass but I felt that Alclad was better. 

P1090240

Regards

Dan 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Moving on with the build albeit slowly chaps, tie to get my hand in with figures,

Real love and hate relationship I have with these, they really do make a build but getting them to where 

they complement he build is another thing. So this one will probably get stripped at some point. A few pointers 

if you are going to have a go, only my experience so don't take this as gospel :frantic:

I have been asked before about dry brushing the figures to help with the highlights, personally I don't, they come out very chalky looking and very forced. 

I do like dry brushing with oils for small areas, the finer pigment does go on very well but you have to pick the colour you are dry brushing very carefully. never pure white 

unless it's on snow cam!!   Shadow should be a shade or two darker than the base colour and highlights again a shade lighter or two for the highlights, don't use white to lighten 

the base coat as it will be too stark and look chalky - A buff colour is a good way to start. 

Tamiya XF-51 Khaki drab for the base coat, airbrushed on on the trouser area, nice and easy.  then the shadows and highlights - for the dark shadow I used Mig Ammo Olive Drab Dark shadow

and mixed up Mig ammo Olive Drab Shine and  Mig Ammo Light Green Khaki for the highlights. These were thinned down - right down with tap water and layered onto the areas required slowly blending  

them out in the process ( Add some retarder with the mix) .  Boots were blocked out with dark grey soles and Mig Ammo Red Primer for the leather uppers. They are just in the basic colours at the moment, more highlights and shadow to follow. 

P1090241

P1090242

P1090243

Side skirts are now painted up, same colours as the main hull.  

P1090244

P1090245

Enjoy 

• Like 8

Great work going on Dan, shells look particularly nice.

Interested in your approach to the figures too, I'm doing some some similar ones myself at the minute. 

He's looking very smart with his shiney brown shoes though.

Atb

• Thanks 1

Blocking in the main colours with the crew member,

Just the first pass with some shadow and highlights now, more to de done to add to the effects. Some very rough darker shadow around the zip and the bottom of the Jacket,

This will get worked on and slowly get blended in the rest of the jacket.  Hands are just base coated at this point in time, overall its rougher than a badgers bottom. 

Needs some time to dry off now.  Jacket is again airbrushed with Vallejo Panzer Aces 322 - US Army highlights. Shadows mixed from base colour and Vallejo Iraqi Sand

Highlights are the base colour with Vallejo Panzer Aces Stencil -313. Dark shadow is Citadel Nuln Oil.

P1090259

P1090260

P1090258

• Like 11

Hi Dan, nice work, the hands inparticular look great, brown base with a pale flesh tone over the top?

I've seen both AK and Lifecolour do US army uniform paint sets, any experience of either? Never used to like Lifecolour from the days of wingy things but be nice to have something that will brush paint. (Call me lazy but breaking out and cleaning the airbrush for one jacket is a PITA!).

Btw, how you sprayed panzer aces is beyond me...all I have to do is threaten the airbrush with the stuff and it clogs up and dies!

Still think he looks very smart, as if his pub lunch has been interrupted!

Cheers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, base coated with the AK flesh base and then worked up with the tones, key here is to really thin and I mean really thin the paint with tap water, I’ll say it again - really over thin it and build up the layers. The key is not to rush and blend it out. It does work, good quality paint brush is also a must and I use the Tamiya HD paint brushes. 

Vallejo panzer aces paint will just go through my brush, you have to use the Vallejo own thinners and the newer clear stuff not the old milky looking stuff. I sprayed it all up with an Iwata TR1 with a 0.3 needle and added a drop of Vallejo retarder to reduce tip dry. I wouldn’t try a multi cam scheme on a tank with the stuff as it suffers badly with tip dry, life is too short for screwing around with the stuff for big jobs - but it is the Dogs for brush painting. 

I have used Life Colour, it’s okay for spraying but not the next best thing so I tend to stick with what I know to be fair. I’m sure it’s a good paint system but like everything you need to put in the effort to iron out any issues.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Wow excellent work Dan and those hands look very realistic indeed....quite spooky actually as the figure has no head 😉👍

His-head will be sorted tomorrow mate, I use the hands as a bit of a practice run for the main event :D 

• Haha 1

Cheers Dan, big fan of the Tamiya brushes since you recommend them ages ago particularly the ultra fine one for small stuff.

Bit like the Vallejo flesh paint set brushes on well, for an acrylic at least, I'm trying to find a suitable one for brush painting uniforms.  Silly old me thought, I'll have another go at brush painting Tamiya....stupid, stupid, stupid!

Might have a go with the Ak set, usually like Ak stuff so..🤞

(The standard Ak brushes ok if well thinned and multiple layers so why not!).

8 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

I use the hands as a bit of a practice run for the main event :D 

Sure there's a filthy joke in there somewhere...😉

• Haha 3