Tamiya M10

Dads203

Cheers chaps,

So its on it running gear for the first time. still loads to do so don't expect to see paint any time soon ;)

Aber metal gun barrel, a tad disappointing really, I thought it might have the rifling in the muzzle but it didn't, so the 

kit version is just as good.

P1080695

P1080694

P1080696

P1080697

Debating on using these for this build, it will add a humongous amount of build time to the project though ? 

Jury is still out at this point.

P1080698

P1080699

P1080700

P1080701

Cheers for looking in 

Dan 

• Like 10

Some turret detail going in, just the kit stuff, some ejector pins have been cleaned up 

on in the inside face of the turret. Also more work on the hull 

P1080704

P1080702

P1080708

P1080711

P1080706

P1080707

P1080705

I'll be adding the foundry casting markings to the turret and hull, these are from Archer Decals,

on a side note to that Archer are stopping the dry rub down decals which is a real shame, they cannot get the chemicals to manufacture them any more. So stock up gents if you want any. 

Only impacts the dry rub down decals. 

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

I'll be adding the foundry casting markings to the turret and hull, these are from Archer Decals, on a side note to that Archer are stopping the dry rub down decals which is a real shame, they cannot get the chemicals to manufacture them any more. So stock up gents if you want any. 

Only impacts the dry rub down decals. 

Making good progress Dan, on Archer, it looks like they are planning to convert their dry transfers to normal waterslide decals: Archer's Press Release

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Making good progress Dan, on Archer, it looks like they are planning to convert their dry transfers to normal waterslide decals: Archer's Press Release

It’s a real shame though, I liked the dry rubdown decals over the normal water slide types, no sealing in or glossing required. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dads203 said:

It’s a real shame though, I liked the dry rubdown decals over the normal water slide types, no sealing in or glossing required. 

It's called progress: with the rubdown decals you need a pencil or burnisher and with the water slide decals you need a whole box full of different varnishes and setting solutions,

Anyway - back to modelling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dads203 said:

I liked the dry rubdown decals over the normal water slide types, no sealing in or glossing required. 

well that sucks...love rub down ...talk about taking a huge step backwards in ease of use and realism

• Like 1

More progress being made this morning. 

Gun breach gets more parts added, the counterweights are added to the rear of the turret. 

Basic construction is almost done now. Then onto the detailing.  I've removed the blobs on the engine deck and drilled some holes 

ready for proper handles, likewise for the drivers and radio operators hatches. 

One question, to me the drivers periscopes look like they haven't been fitted here, the armoured covers are down and no scope 

can be seen, probably a question for @Bullbasket ? I'm no Sherman expert but I think Tamiya have kitted this based upon a vehicle 

that has missing periscopes?  Struggling to find some decent pictures to see the setup but I think its a bit of an oversight, with out scopes 

you can't see where you are going  when closed down :o

P1080713

P1080721

P1080722

P1080720

P1080717

P1080716

P1080715

One of the next things to add will be these casting marks. 

P1080723

Found these in the decal stash, they will get put to good use.  some graffiti for the backs of the tank crew jackets. 

P1080724

P1080725

Cheers for looking in.

Dan 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Dads203 said:

One question, to me the drivers periscopes look like they haven't been fitted here, the armoured covers are down and no scope 

can be seen, probably a question for @Bullbasket ? I'm no Sherman expert but I think Tamiya have kitted this based upon a vehicle 

that has missing periscopes?  Struggling to find some decent pictures to see the setup but I think its a bit of an oversight, with out scopes 

you can't see where you are going  when closed down :o

'Morning Dan.

I think that Tamiya has taken the lazy way out with all three periscopes, and moulded them in the closed down position. I've got some photos of an Achilles (same animal, different turret/gun) which shows them in exactly the same positions. I could only find one photo of an in service vehicle with the periscope in the raised position. Give me a while, and I'll upload a couple of piccies. I'll also have a look at the AFV Club kit that I have of the Wolverine.

John.

• Thanks 1

OK, as promised, here are a couple of photos. In the first one, you can see the periscope in the open position.

86c32ed9-8c1f-4daa-aa5e-3e333836a314.jpg

And these are some photos of a museum example, showing the periscope open and closed.

1a527ed0-b730-4bfa-9764-96be5c4115a8.jpg

Finally, this is the instruction sheet for the AFV Club Wolverine. You can see that they have been more adventurous with the periscopes than Tamiya have.

fbe2b4d0-65ba-4980-be54-5ac41d3cf773.jpg

Hope that has been of some help Dan.

John.

• Thanks 1

Guys, cheers for those ref pix, they are a real help indeed :thumbsup: proper good stuff.

I’ll have to scratch them up I think, shouldn’t be too difficult. I found this morning a pair of periscopes from an old Tamiya Sherman so it’s just the armoured covers that I’ll need to set about with.

Much appreciated with the Ref pix. One other question for you chaps, what type of track would of been common on the M10 during D-Day. I’m leaning to use the kit pattern rubber blocks as these look to be the most common? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dads203 said:

Much appreciated with the Ref pix. One other question for you chaps, what type of track would of been common on the M10 during D-Day. I’m leaning to use the kit pattern rubber blocks as these look to be the most common? 

T51 or T48 the above pic is a DDay M10 as can be seen from the cullin hedgerow device

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, M3talpig said:

This might also help ......used on or in the M4.M10,M36 and probably more i do have the tech manual somewhere that shows the fittings as well if i find it i will post the pics 

spacer.pngspacer.png

That's a blast from the past: I was gifted a couple of periscopes like that when my grandfather cleared out his workshop many many years ago and I think they were eventually incorporated into a den roof; sadly, I don't know what their ultimate fate was.

• Like 2

Thank you chaps, the ref material is great and very useful indeed. 

Been Working in the figures, they are all together and cleaned up at this point 

just awaiting the Hornet heads. I’ll post up pictures later for you all to see. 

Dan 

• Like 2