Tamiya M10

Dads203

It's really good to see how your figure painting is coming on; it's an area I've been working on too. Yours are definitely improving and look really good now. I tend to find acrylics a bit troublesome when it comes to washes as they dry so quickly. They often seem to dry nefore they've ponded in the shadows. I do the large shadow areas (clothing folds etc.) in a darker version of the base tone, but it's more a deliberate brushing than a wash. I'll then dry brush and/or deliberately paint highlights, finishing off the whole thing with a very thin brown oil wash and targeted black oil pin wash seems to work quite well on top of the acrylics.

• Thanks 1

Cheers guys, it’s getting there slowly. I’m building up very thin layers to a consistency of a wash in very localised areas.

Basically the same process as painting the face, the difference being the colours used on the face are much lighter than the uniform so you can see the subtle changes quicker. I think that my blending or stippling technique needs a bit more work. Using two tones on the uniforms initially- two lighter and two darker to map out the high spots and recesses and then onto blending in.

More later folks 

Dan 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Cheers guys, it’s getting there slowly. I’m building up very thin layers to a consistency of a wash in very localised areas.

Basically the same process as painting the face, the difference being the colours used on the face are much lighter than the uniform so you can see the subtle changes quicker. I think that my blending or stippling technique needs a bit more work. Using two tones on the uniforms initially- two lighter and two darker to map out the high spots and recesses and then onto blending in.

More later folks 

Dan 

Hiya Dan I'm no expert but what i notice when I look at the figure is that the colours used on the trousers are more subtle shade differences whereas with the jacket the difference between the highlights and the shadows is less subtle and stands out a lot more. Don't get me wrong id be very happy if I could get anywhere near your standard but maybe more blending of slightly different shades is what you're looking for 🤔

• Thanks 1

Wow they look great Dan and now I can see what a big difference the figures make to a build. Thanks for all the tips you've provided i hope to have a crack at figure painting myself soon i now feel really inspired 🙂👍

• Thanks 1

Looks so good with the crew in situ, pity you can't appreciate the work that went into the gunners face.

However the commander looks great.

Great work, as ever!

Atb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a lot of space in that turret I would certainly not like to be in there if it was in action!

Loader looks at risk if the main armament is fired. 

As others have said stunning work on both figures and vehicle

Stay safe            Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Longbow said:

Now, stop dragging your feet, there's a good Chap ;)

You do know you can not hurry perfection just look at how long it takes to pour a pint of Guinness  :drink:

and it will be well deserved when it is done 

Cracking job Dan

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Micro update time chaps, really not had much bench time and work has taken me away from the bench once more :frantic:

Cheers for all the likes and comments, all appreciated :thumbsup:

So moving on slowly, a couple of ready rounds are now stowed in the turret, commander figure is done and I've equipped 

him with some bars on his helmet and removed the rank from the stowed helmet. All the crew have had the unit badges 

and rank applied now. 

Decals on the rest of the rounds are drying off now and the indirect fire gun sight added. 

P1090459

P1090454

P1090450

P1090463

P1090464

P1090461

Just the side skirts, crew seats, antenna and stowage to add, tie in the weathering, blast of matt varnish and it's done. Easy 

• Like 22