M35 Gun Truck

JeroenS

A little bit of progress to report, the chassis is about 3/4 done. 

20200920201449-a75829dc-me.jpg

When compared to the fueler, this one has a different subframe and a low exhaust. For the rest it's exactly the same. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice work on the chassis Jeroen, looks like a complicated assembly.

It's not that bad, but in my opinion the construction order of the rear tandem axle is unnecessarily complicated, where you build up one side of the chassis and the tandem first, with all kinds of parts hanging in thin air, before completing it with the other side's beam. I'm following a different method, I prefer closing up the chassis first, then adding leaf springs and axles. I like it better when I have fixed reference and attachment points. 

• Like 1

I'm building up the load bed. After having sanded close to 20 pin marks on the insides of the upright parts of the bed while putting it together, I discovered a whole lot more on the various armour plating. 

I mean, who needs this many? 

20200925202550-15e5db19-me.jpg

Just look at that... 

20200925202549-81b4dc8d-me.jpg

Come on, it's Friday night, I'm running on fumes so to speak, and this takes away all the pleasure of putting stuff together. I can handle a pin mark here and there but I'm mentally broken now. 

OK maybe I'm overreacting just a little 🙂 But you get my point, there's too many! They're basically on every part with a flat surface. I've never seen so many. 

Edit: and I've never used the word "many" so many times in 1 post 😇

Edited by JeroenS
Counting words....
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

23 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I'll tell you who Jeroen, nobody!!!!

That amount of pin marks would take the wind out of anybody'd sails, it certainly would me. I hope you get the energy to sort them soon and carry on with your excellent build.

Things always look better in the morning :-)... But they're quite terrible.

• Like 1

I haven't touched any plastic since discovering these pin marks, I was seriously put off. So during lunch just now I almost literally kicked myself in the bee-hind and played this nice game called "hide the sink hole". 

20200930132201-ec9ba52c-me.jpg

Of course now I need another kick tonight to sand the filler away... And then I can finally start some building again. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Well, that's done... of course the sanding and the cleaning is actually worse than the filling itself. 

20200930205935-b8b1f6a3-me.jpg

Not perfect, but then again I don't do perfect so that doesn't botter me much 🙂 

Now, where did I put that glue bottle

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

after that I'm surprised there isn't a shortage of filler around your way!!!

I only have a little bit left so a trip to the LHS is needed this weekend! After all I still have one more of these trucks to build. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

At least if you have to pop to the LHS there's always the chance of coming out with something extra kit wise.

Nooooo don't say that! We're planning a house move so I'm banned from buying more stuff 😆

• Haha 3

visit to LHS = impulsive buying!!!!  

One of the laws of nature....you know you're powerless to resist.

Mmmm just think of that latest new truck model...just pleading with you to "please take me home kind sir.......I need a stash to call my home!!!" 🥺

:D

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I did some work on this one. For one thing, the Heller Classic GB has been keeping me busy. Also, in the past six weeks we've managed to buy a new place and sell our current house, and this has meant almost no bench time, especially this month so far. I was preoccupied with all that, plus most of my stuff was in hiding so I couldn't have done anything even if I'd wanted to 🙂 

So. I've resumed work on the chassis. I've added the wheels and the winch and front bumper. 

20201025161929-7f3c593e-me.jpg

But I'm confused. Look at the position of the exhaust on this drawing. 

20201025161930-2046a63e-me.jpg

Clearly you can see the vertical support should be glued onto the bottom of the chassis beam, and the exhaust itself is snaking up on the inside of that beam. 

But how?? Looking at the real thing there's just no way that's going to happen. 

20201025161930-8639cc8b-me.jpg

And it's completely against how the exhaust is shaped, clearly it's supposed to go round the outside of the chassis. 

A little further there's a drawing that I recognize from the fueler, which has a vertical exhaust. There's no vertical exhaust on this gun truck.

20201025161930-a49ea948-me.jpg

And as you see here, there's not even a hole in the front right mudguard, although it's there on the box art. 

20201025161931-ae8b3703-me.jpg

Finally, the weird shape of the exhaust, protruding from the top of the chassis, makes it impossible to fit the mudguards and "engine". 

20201025161929-e1041b1f-me.jpg

I'm just going to cut off the tip of the exhaust, levelling it with the chassis beam, so that I can properly fit this part. Weird. 

• Like 3

Ah, the joys of trying to interpret modelling instructions!

I agree with you completely about what to do with the exhaust, your solution is completely logical, as opposed to the instructions which make no sense at all!

Good to see you back at the bench Jeroen even if it is only for limited times, which we can completely understand.

• Like 1

I managed to finish the chassis and build up the cab for the most part today.

20201025210225-0df35aeb-me.jpg

20201025210224-35357a48-me.jpg

And, where the fueler is still in three major parts, I decided to glue everything in place this time. 

20201025210225-84a3fe2b-me.jpg

Why not. Painting is a little more difficult but I'll just pull a "what you see is what you paint' on it. I think it'll be fine. 

• Like 4

great to see this one is still progressing.......not that the instructions seem to be helping at all! There's not some other unidentified part somewhere that you are meant to use instead? I found that a couple of times on my Blackhawk build!

Even unpainted she looks good!

I came very close to buying one of these at our club meet on the weekend........only thing that stopped my was I had already spent too much! :D

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Really taking shape now.

It will be interesting to compare the two painting techniques and their results.

I may have to adjust camera angles 😉 

Obviously, for the best result I should have painted the main parts separately. But I found that it was quite a bit of work to get that load bed glued onto the chassis correctly, and having paint everywhere probably wouldn't have helped. Plus, airbrush time is limited as it's getting cold and damp in the shed where I have to paint. I'm hoping for a relatively warm and dry day in the near future and then I'll just paint everything in one go. I was thinking black primer, OD base and then brush painting black to get that "painted in the field" look. Between these coats I'll probably have enough coverage of the hard to reach spots. Hopefully. 

• Like 2