M35 Gun Truck

JeroenS

I totally blame @trickyrich for leading me astray with this one 😉 

It was pretty hard to find actually, I think I got one of the last ones in stock for many, many miles around.  

20200911165541-42a8c9e7-me.jpg

But there it is... I think I'll let this one take precedence over the other, "regular" M35. But, if I manage to finish all three, they will look pretty darn cool in my cabinet.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

I love the quad 50's on the back

Me too! It first I thought I'd rebuild my Deuce to a gun truck with a quad .50 of some sort, but there's no such thing to get. Or at the same price of this Gun Truck kit itself. 

• Like 1

hahaha....I strike again! :D

How could you have not built one of these, it'll go perfectly with the others.

Plus you may even tempt me into buying one....though I currently have my on on a few more additions....

Good luck with this one, it's going to be fun to watch.

• Like 1

If the truck's a rocking, don't come a knocking....  :D

Can you imagine the shake, rattle, and roll of that rig w/ the quad going off?  

This will be another spectacular build I'm sure.  :beer:

• Like 1

I couldn't resist making a start with the "Meat Grinder". The 3 trucks share a lot of parts but the quad .50 is one of the few items that I don't need to build at least twice 🙂 

I have no idea how all the parts of a quad .50 are named but these are the sides which contain the mounts for the guns and the ammo canisters. Lots of small parts. 

20200913115404-e8ecdd1d-me.jpg

The rotating mount. Not at all done yet.

20200913115404-79018a8f-me.jpg

Ammo canisters. 

20200913115403-d52a42b1-me.jpg

And the four business ends. 

20200913115403-1ecbe47f-me.jpg

I've drilled the barrel ends. 

20200913115403-74ae71d1-me.jpg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Very cool. I can't find it now, but there was a lot of great info on modeling guntrucks over on armorama

Yes, I saw it a while ago. Lots of video's and pictures on the subject as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoftScience said:

I imagine its going to be quite a large model. too.  

The fueler model is about 20 centimeters front to back and this one has the same measurements, so it's not that bad. I read that the M35 gun trucks were replaced with the larger M54 trucks where possible, sooner rather than later.

Some more work done on the quad .50. Built up the seat and gun mount. 

20200915220425-adaf15a4-me.jpg

A bit of detail at the back, battery and compressor or generator.

20200915220425-383dd453-me.jpg

On the swiveling mount. 

20200915220425-daeb0b56-me.jpg

Seat dry fitted, it will need to be painted separately, as will the shield.

20200915220424-4dcdef63-me.jpg

• Like 4

gosh it must have been a noisy place to sit when in operation.......with all those .50 cals going off and that generator..... but boy it would be fun!!!!  :mg:   😊

looking good!

• Like 2

Here's the actual M-55 of which there's one on this truck, in action in Khe Sanh. Quite impressive and look at them burning through those ammo cans. While it's fun to watch, let's not forget it's something else entirely when you have to fire one of these things in anger. 

• Like 3

OK here's the whole thing with all the bits and bobs. 

20200919104615-bd2eafa7-me.jpg

The guns are dry fitted. It can rotate and the barrels can move up and down. Since the plan is to paint the truck black I reckon in this case the quad itself would also have received a coat of black paint. So the mount and the shields will be painted black, the ammo cans will be green, the guns will be... gun colour. I'm not really an expert on this kind of stuff so we'll see how things turn out. In the meantime, I guess I'll start throwing together the chassis. Maybe I'll do the other M35's chassis at the same time, since this is not my favourite part of the build. Best to get it over with.

• Like 5