F/A-18 STGB Chat

Anatol Pigwa

12 hours ago, exdraken said:

Hmmm Kinetic or Hasegawa for a 1/48 Spanish  F/A-18M??

I was wondering how they compared. I have a couple of Hasegawa's Hornets in the stash and they look really nice kits to me. A good amount of detail and nicely panel lined and build reviews from a little while back heap praise on them. But I assume that Kinetic have improved on it a but. I did have a Hobby Boss kit a while back and in the box it looked a bit like it was a carbon copy of the Hasegawa kit.

• Like 1

Wasn't going to enter this as I did a Hornet last summer, but having had the urge to do a USN Tomcat but have not able to source the decals I want, I think a similarly colourful f/a-18 will be a nice consolation instead, have the Academy boxing in mind in estore basket, shame my local only has a different boxing without the such colourful markings. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

36 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Wasn't going to enter this as I did a Hornet last summer, but having had the urge to do a USN Tomcat but have not able to source the decals I want, I think a similarly colourful f/a-18 will be a nice consolation instead, have the Academy boxing in mind in estore basket, shame my local only has a different boxing without the such colourful markings. 

Stu, my kit-on-order is this https://www.scalemates.com/kits/academy-12534-us-navy-f-a-18c-vfa-82-marauders--1003797 and I will do nothing with the decals. Would they be colourful enough? V-P

8 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Stu, my kit-on-order is this https://www.scalemates.com/kits/academy-12534-us-navy-f-a-18c-vfa-82-marauders--1003797 and I will do nothing with the decals. Would they be colourful enough? V-P

Very similar, was looking as the golden dragon boxing academy issued after that, will let you know later either way :) 

• Like 1

Like there was actual doubt I've picked up the VMFA-212 boxing, the Golden Dragons colored tail from the more recent issue is still my first choice so if others want to offer them and make  VP's kind offer redundant I'm all ears. Though have to say actually warming towards the lancers over the Mauraders one VP offering so got a decision to make anyway.    1006274-26441-85-1080.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu

1 hour ago, Sierra Mike Sierra said:

The cradle is set up to receive new life (ignore the altricial F-4C)

Off topic but where did you get the right dark grey tube? Mine is broken and can't seem to find a replacement one!

22 minutes ago, Lex77 said:

the right dark grey tube

I bought it some time ago from this shop: WilTec Wildanger Technik GmbH

https://www.wiltec.de/airbrush-zubehoer-abluftanschluss-fuer-absauganlage-wiltec-420.html

They still seem to sell it. It looks a bit like white in the product picture, but I think it is what you are looking for.

Best

Stefan

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 5:35 PM, Anatol Pigwa said:

The only thing missing is a cool F/A-18 quote for the GB thread. If someone has an idea I'd gladly appropriate it for the GB 😉

On 12/31/2021 at 3:03 PM, Alan P said:

My favourite F-18 quote was from the rambling, bizarre Charlie Sheen radio interview from 2011:

"I'm an F-18, bro. I will destroy you in the air and deploy my ordnance to the ground"

So glad to see that this suggestion was taken up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/09/2020 at 00:30, trickyrich said:

Gosh I had forgotten about this aircraft myself. I'm not a fan of the earlier models, but do like the Superbug......which reminds me I must finish mine! :doh::whistle:

Funny that,

I prefer the older legacy Hornets .

• Like 3

I'll join in if I may? My plan is to build this jet using the 1/72 Hasegawa Growler kit. Decals and some Eduard etch are already on their way. I'd like to drop the flaps but I'm having no luck finding the Wolfpack set- is it OOP? I have dropped them myself in the past on an F/A-18F but with far less finesse than using the resin replacements, so they might have stay up this time....

Edited by Seamus
  • Like 3

Anyone happen to know the sand colour used on this https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Navy/McDonnell-Douglas-F-A-18A-Hornet/1717432/L particular scheme?  My decal sheet lists it as very helpfully "pale sand", and the only other one I can find lists the FS code for desert pink which it clearly isn't being far paler and less brown/pink. This will be the one I choose should I build the second kit.  

edit: seems the decal in modelling minions build answers it as fs33531, which is in the AK interactive range I'm going to put in an order for soon 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Well a relative newb on here. Got a couple of builds on the go but I love the Hornet and it would go with mine / my son's carrier based aircraft project. Tempted to press the button on a cheapo Italeri 1/72 F/A 18 C/D kit for this GB and build OOB. What could possibly go wrong...?

7 minutes ago, Freester said:

Well a relative newb on here. Got a couple of builds on the go but I love the Hornet and it would go with mine / my son's carrier based aircraft project. Tempted to press the button on a cheapo Italeri 1/72 F/A 18 C/D kit for this GB and build OOB. What could possibly go wrong...?

Chep but there are better kits out there both in terms of shape but buildability, spend a few more quid on the academy one, you will have more fun 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Chep but there are better kits out there both in terms of shape but buildability, spend a few more quid on the academy one, you will have more fun 

+1 for Academy, although that said without getting to actually building one yet, but my kit arrived today and it looks fabulous!

48 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

11 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

+1 for Academy, although that said without getting to actually building one yet, but my kit arrived today and it looks fabulous!

Ahh well button pressed. No backing out now... 

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

I've got 2 Academy and 1 Italeri on my shelf right now.

My stash has 2-3 more Academy Hornets and zero Italeri's and that's not likely to change.

• Haha 1

Someone here mentioned the resin dropped flaps AM kit. I found this among my hornet kits. A leftover of the one I built using this set.

bPDQUg.jpg

The basic instructions. And below the end product in use

0425nr.jpg

Depicts one of the hornets used to visit Libya in 2011.
WlgVgL.jpg

I built this some years ago and used decals by Leading Edge Models as all my Hornets .

And finally my entry readied for Saturday.....

mTRDPw.jpg

Not decided on scheme just yet but will have by the time it come t painting and decalling.

• Like 5

Please count me in.

I've decals for the CF-18 1992 Tiger Meet special (188768) & the 1/72 Academy kit waiting for an opportunity to be started so this is as good a reason as any. Will add to my ever growing collection of Tiger Meet jets. 🐯

Thanks

Martin

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, what hasn't we seen yet?

In terms of operators:

Kuwait (Legacy and Super, although I doubt decals exist for the Supers which only started delivery a few months ago)
Malaysia (D)
NASA (regular F/A-18's plus the F-18 HARV & X-53)

In terms of variants, I think we're just missing the YF-17 Cobra and the F/A-18D 'Night Attack' ATARS operated by the USMC, as well as the HARV and X-53 for NASA.

1 hour ago, Adam Maas said:

Out of curiosity, what hasn't we seen yet?

In terms of operators:

Kuwait (Legacy and Super, although I doubt decals exist for the Supers which only started delivery a few months ago)
Malaysia (D)
NASA (regular F/A-18's plus the F-18 HARV & X-53)

In terms of variants, I think we're just missing the YF-17 Cobra and the F/A-18D 'Night Attack' ATARS operated by the USMC, as well as the HARV and X-53 for NASA.

Was there not also the rather obscure Photo Recon version of the legacy Hornet kitted by Italeri as RF-18?

3 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

I've decals for the CF-18 1992 Tiger Meet special (188768) & the 1/72 Academy kit waiting for an opportunity to be started so this is as good a reason as any. Will add to my ever growing collection of Tiger Meet jets. 🐯

Nice one! Seen this one on my first airshow at my nearby airbase and was a possible build for this GB.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

Was there not also the rather obscure Photo Recon version of the legacy Hornet kitted by Italeri as RF-18?

That's the Night Attack D model with the ATARS fitted, the ATARS is the Advanced Tactical Airborne Reconnaissance System and the D models the USMC had fitted for it were the replacement for the RF-4.

No idea where Italeri got the RF-18 designation from.

Note Night Attack itself indicates nothing about the F/A-18D other than being a USMC operated aircraft. If fitted for ATARS, they are F/A-18D (RC)'s officially. ATARS is the combination of pods and certain equipment fitted to the nose, the latter being a permanent installation.

28 minutes ago, Adam Maas said:

That's the Night Attack D model with the ATARS fitted, the ATARS is the Advanced Tactical Airborne Reconnaissance System and the D models the USMC had fitted for it were the replacement for the RF-4.

No idea where Italeri got the RF-18 designation from.

Note Night Attack itself indicates nothing about the F/A-18D other than being a USMC operated aircraft. If fitted for ATARS, they are F/A-18D (RC)'s officially. ATARS is the combination of pods and certain equipment fitted to the nose, the latter being a permanent installation.

This is where the Hornet designations get interesting: 

Let's start at looking at Wikipedia (sorry I have no better sources at this time):

F-18(R)

This was a proposed reconnaissance version of the F/A-18A. It included a sensor package that replaced the 20 mm cannon. The first of two prototypes flew in August 1984. Small numbers were produced.[124]

RF-18D

Proposed two-seat reconnaissance version for the US Marine Corps in the mid-1980s. It was to carry a radar reconnaissance pod. The system was canceled after it was unfunded in 1988. This ability was later realized on the F/A-18D(RC).[124]

The F/A-18D(RC) is a two-seater as per the D designation, while the Italeri Kit shows an A (single seater) and should probably be the F-18(R) kit designation RF-18A

However Testors kitted the RF-18D Two Seater which is probably the F/A-18D(RC) you are reffering to.