Hawker Typhoon - 3 Blade, D-Day Stripes, Short Tailplane - Marking Options?

wellsprop

Hi all,

I have the Edaurd overtrees of Hasegawas 1/48 Typhoon Mk Ib with 3 blades, bubble canopy and early tailplanes.

I want to model it as a rocket armed, D-Day striped machine, with the shorter tailplanes (there were some - I think in the JP serial range).

This looks like a contender, I particularly like the red nose, (looks like the serial number is in the J range) but I have no more information about it.

typhoon-image-2-e1585517996324.jpg

I think MN570 had the larger tailplanes (you can see the taiplanes overlapping the tail fishplate stiffeners), so despite the interesting scheme, it's not an option.

WC_Brooker_123_Wing_MN570.jpg

EU2UyUxXYAAC4EG?format=jpg&name=large

Any help/ideas?

Thanks!

Ben

• Like 1

Chris Thomas, who often posts here, is the utter zen master of all things Typhoon/Tempest.

This nifty "Airfix Modelworld" magazine supplement he penned for their 1/24 bubble top Tiffie has one good scheme, as well as a complete list of which serial numbers had which props, tails, and other features:

https://www.airfix.com/us-en/hawker-typhoon

Mr. Thomas also wrote, among many other things, the "Warpaint" title on the Typhoon; excellent articles in "Model Aircraft Monthly" magazines, vol. 3 no. 11 (November 2004), and  vol. 8 no. 7 (July 2009); and co-authored the superb Classic Publishing four-volume series on the 2nd Tactical Air Force. With the serial number "key" in hand, all of those are rich sources for your quest.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to one of Chris’ many publications, the new ‘Large tailplanes‘ appeared on the production line from serial number MN307. Four bladed props were then introduced from MN601 to the mid PD series. Hope this helps and adds to the research. 

The Osprey Publishing book ‘Typhoon units of the 2nd TAF’ is also a great resource to have whilst building any Tiffy. 

Cheers.. Dave 

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

According to one of Chris’ many publications, the new ‘Large tailplanes‘ appeared on the production line from serial number MN307. Four bladed props were then introduced from MN601 to the mid PD series. Hope this helps and adds to the research. 

The Osprey Publishing book ‘Typhoon units of the 2nd TAF’ is also a great resource to have whilst building any Tiffy. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks for the reminder to check the other end of my disorganized library, LOL! Chris Thomas wrote "Typhoon and Tempest Aces of World War 2," "Typhoon Wings of 2nd TAF 1943-45," and "Tempest Squadrons of the RAF" for Osprey Publishing. All are excellent.

Searching his name here at Britmodeller will also provide hours of educational entertainment!

As noted above, the combination of small tail and 4-blade prop was aerodynamically unstable, and apparently never seen in action. Mr. Thomas points out that Typhoons were repaired/rebuilt at a furious pace in the last year of the war, though, and could often be seen with other combination of details that varied from their original production standard.

Edited by MDriskill

• 5 months later...
On 9/12/2020 at 8:39 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Four bladed props were then introduced from MN601 to the mid PD series. Hope this helps and adds to the research. 

Faced with a similar conundrum, the original reboxing by Eduard had resin parts for the conversion. 
Would the 4blader be the same (size) as the later Tempest prop?

Looking to build MP126, and I do have the overtree Tempest Mk.V boxing which comes with two tailplane sets and two 4bladers.

Asking for a fren :P

• Haha 1

Hi @MDriskill

The link you posted;

On 9/11/2020 at 8:08 PM, MDriskill said:

This nifty "Airfix Modelworld" magazine supplement he penned for their 1/24 bubble top Tiffie has one good scheme, as well as a complete list of which serial numbers had which props, tails, and other features:

https://www.airfix.com/us-en/hawker-typhoon

doesn't work for me. Might I ask you to check it?

Many thanks,

4 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Would the 4blader be the same (size) as the later Tempest prop?

I can’t see why not, however that’s not exactly the best answer without consulting some proper reference material. I’m sure this information can be found online. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Typhoon In MN234 137 squadron, retained for anti shipping patrols but also flying anti diver ( V1) patrols in June 44. 

https://www.staplesandvine.com/index.php/aircraft/struck-off-charge/struck-off-charge-1-72-scale/hawker-typhoon-mk-ib/

Should meet the criteria for 3 blades & small tail planes & full D-day stripes.

Steve.

I am searching for revers option: four blades, large tail, drop canopy and no rockets.... :) Still interesting to watch for resources suggested by BM fellows ...

Regards

J-W

21 hours ago, Johnson said:

Hi @MDriskill

The link you posted;

doesn't work for me. Might I ask you to check it?

Many thanks,

My apologies. That did work back when I posted it, but apparently Airfix has taken it down. I believe hard copies are available, though, and I've just learned that a similar supplement was done for the "car door" version of the kit.

• Like 1

Aviaeology has an information packet and decals for 'Tiffies' assigned to Canadian squadrons. There are three three-bladed, small tailplane examples documented: JR249 / F3-P, JR500 / 5V-X and MN957 / F3-N.  Of these, JR500 is shown with AEAF stripes on the lower wing and lower fuselage.

I'll be doing one of these three in 1:72 starting with the Academy kit.

Chris