Finnish Comet and StuG III

alloydog

• 1 month later...
On 01/11/2020 at 15:17, Orso said:

For Finn StuG's look here: http://www.andreaslarka.net/sturmi.html

That's a good link, thanks!

Here's on of Ps531-21:

tttc.png

It was taken about 10-years ago, when Boy No.2 was doing his national service in the Armoured Brigade.  That's Boy No.5 "playing" with the tank.

When No.2 started, they get asked what position would they prefer.  After the "69" jokes have died down, most say they want to be the commander.  2 said main gunner - he reason: The commander only get a 7,62 to play with, he would get the 120 mil!

On 01/11/2020 at 13:30, daldroflas said:

Very good interesting photos.

I would like to see more here please.

Thanks!

https://alloydog.neocities.org/comet/index.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alloydog said:

That's a good link, thanks!

Here's on of Ps531-21:

tttc.png

It was taken about 10-years ago, when Boy No.2 was doing his national service in the Armoured Brigade.  That's Boy No.5 "playing" with the tank.

When No.2 started, they get asked what position would they prefer.  After the "69" jokes have died down, most say they want to be the commander.  2 said main gunner - he reason: The commander only get a 7,62 to play with, he would get the 120 mil!

https://alloydog.neocities.org/comet/index.html

Hello alloydog,

thank you for posting the Comet photo's. I really like Finnish armour and have spent years looking for info on Finnish half tracks and 88's since seeing a few photo's in a very old Finnish IPMS magazine. Do you have any info on either or both of these or could you tell me where I might get such info?

cheers,

dave

Funnily enough, I was recently thinking of going back there to see if they are still there and also contact the army offices there to try and get a bit of history on both the Comet and the StuG.  I usually commute to work by bus, but on the occasions that I drive, I go past the army base where they are located.  I actually found them by accident, when I had to visit there for work.  I had to drive past three signs, which effectively read: "STOP!" Live firing range, you could get shot", "STOP!!! Go beyond this point and you'll probably get shot!" and "If you get killed, don't come moaning to us..."

I will let you know what else I can dig up.  If I can get there again and if they are still there, then I can more close up pictures.

Each tank has a small plaque with a short description:

COMET

In 1961, 40 vehicles were acquired by Finland as training vehicles. The Comet tanks were taken out of service in Finland in 1970.

(Suomeen vaunuja hankittiin vuonna 1961 koulutusvaunuikksi 40 kpl. Comet-panssarivaunut poistettiin Suomessa käytöstä vuonna 1970.)

STUG III
The StuGs were brought into Finland in two batches during 1943-1944. A total of 59 were imported. They took part in the battles of Kuuterselä and Ihantala, among others, where they destroyed 82 enemy tanks, with a loss of 8 of their own.

This StuG, Ps no. 531-26, took part in the battles of Vuosalmi in the summer of 1944. At that time, the vehicle was used for artillery fire control.

This vehicle was restored in 1990, in Sarrijoärvi. The restoration was attended by: Lieutenant Kari Broström, Corporal Jari Kivimäki, Infantryman Risto Nyrkinen and Infantryman Timo-Jaakko Yli-Kiikka.

(Sturmit tuotiin Suomeen kahdessa erässä vuosien 1943-1944 aikana.  Yhteensä niitä tuotiin 59 kpl. Ne osallistuivat mm Kuuterselän ja ihantalan taisteluihin, joissa niiden toimesta tuhottiin 82 vihollisen vaunua omien tappoiden ollessa 8 vaunua.
Tämä sturmi Ps n:o 531-26 osallistui Vuosalmen taisteluihin kesäällä 1944. Vaunussa on ollut tuolloin tykistön tulenjohto.

Vaunu on estisöity vuonna 1990 Sarriojärvellä. Entinsöintiin osallistuivat: Ylil Kari Broström, koprp Jari Kivimäki, jääk Risto Nyrkinen ja jääk Timo-Jaakko Yli-Kiikka.)