1/48 Airfix Mustang Swedish Air Force (Svenska Flygvapnet)

Hi everyone

I have just finished the Swedish option in Airfix’s boxing of the F-51D Mustang, namely the J26. I was attracted by the bright colour scheme and the over-sized roundels. I am also quite fond of WW2 aircraft in post-war schemes – Airfix’s markings are based on a 1946 machine.

J26_1

It’s a very nice kit overall. Good levels of detail, a couple of beautiful clear canopies and a great decal sheet. The only rub points were the fit of the gun inserts and the lack of definition in the tread markings of the tyres. I opted to replace the wheels with an Eduard resin set. I also had trouble getting the fuselage halves to connect at the back end – I think that was down to ‘user error’ rather than any inherent problem with the kit.

J26_2

I decided to experiment with filling in the panel lines on the wings and replicating the painted lacquer finish. I opted to use Mr.Color C8 Silver thinned with their Levelling Thinner for the wings. This thinner is brilliant for metallic paints as it really pulls in the particles. For the natural metal areas, I used Mr Color Super Metallic Super Fine Silver. For the rudder I chose Revell Aquacolor Aluminium to simulate the doped fabric.

I know there is lots of heated debate about panel lines on Mustang wings. As the Swedish Mustangs came from ex-USAAF wartime production, I reasoned that they would have come from stock that would have gone through the standard factory process of putty and lacquer.

J26_4

I wanted to sit the aircraft on an icy base. Not freshly fallen snow but frozen slushy stuff. My starting point was Woodland Scenics Soft Flake Snow topped with a light sprinkling of Deluxe Materials Icy Sparkles. I then misted on a thin coat of gloss varnish to give a wet look.

J26_3

Thanks for looking

Richard C

• Like 12