Hawker Seahawk FGA. Mk6

Hi all

Here is another shelf of doom build, which has been ongoing for a while.  The kit is not too bad overall but there are some areas that need correcting.  After seeing Basilisks excellent WIP on the same.  I have shortened the nose shortened the front U/C bay behind the front wheel leg, added the vents just in front of the cockpit and corrected the air intake vanes. The Cannon ports are at an odd angle as they come so they have been altered.  The main U/C bay is a Pavla item as is the ejector seat.   The rest is out of the box.  Model is brush painted using Humbrol and Revell enamel paints and decals are from the Kit to represent a Machine from 801 Squadron on HMS Centaur in 1959, which is the same year my Dad joined the ship.

Hope you enjoy

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 66

Superb build and finish! She looks the biz.

As a fellow hairy stick user myself (well, 80% of the time as I only bother with the airbrush on bigger builds), what's your secret on applying the white? I actively avoid subjects that require large areas of white if I'm brush painting.

Steve

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

Superb, your brush painting skills are to be admired, that’s a lovely finish, good job!

Thank you very kind of you 

47 minutes ago, Vultures1 said:

That is very nicely done and a superb brush-painted finish - well done!

Thank you too

33 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Superb build and finish! She looks the biz.

As a fellow hairy stick user myself (well, 80% of the time as I only bother with the airbrush on bigger builds), what's your secret on applying the white? I actively avoid subjects that require large areas of white if I'm brush painting.

Steve

Hi Steve thanks for your kind comments,  I thin the enamels down a bit to avoid brushmarks as best as possible, but with the white I don't thin as much, this took 5 coats.  I use a wide flat brush too.  I am  soon going to build an all yellow  FAA Avro  Anson  which will take a few coats too, i do love to punish myself!!!

19 minutes ago, chris148 said:

Really nice build,great brush work.As a fellow brusher i appreciate your finish

Thanks Chris for the kind comments. 

4 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Steve thanks for your kind comments,  I thin the enamels down a bit to avoid brushmarks as best as possible, but with the white I don't thin as much, this took 5 coats.  I use a wide flat brush too.  I am  soon going to build an all yellow  FAA Avro  Anson  which will take a few coats too, i do love to punish myself!!!

Thanks for the tip! I'll give that a go soon. Don't envy you an all over yellow Anson. Yellow is probably even worse than white to brush. I often find that subsequent coats can drag the previous coat even after 24 hours of drying. I tried an experiment recently where I sealed each coat in with Future before applying the next layer. Worked a treat, and I got a solid yellow after three coats.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fightersweep said:

Thanks for the tip! I'll give that a go soon. Don't envy you an all over yellow Anson. Yellow is probably even worse than white to brush. I often find that subsequent coats can drag the previous coat even after 24 hours of drying. I tried an experiment recently where I sealed each coat in with Future before applying the next layer. Worked a treat, and I got a solid yellow after three coats.

Hi Steve, is that enamels or acrylic paint?  I have never got on with acrylics for that very reason. I usually leave at least 8 hours minimum between coats, but have never thought of doing the klear coat  between coats  so thank you for the tip too that could speed things up.

Chris

3 minutes ago, Daedalus72 said:

That's a great looking Seahawk, lovely finish

Thank you very much, very kind 

Chris

14 minutes ago, Airgunner said:

Brush painted you say? Wow, I can’t achieve that quality with an airbrush. That’s a lovely model of a lovely aircraft. 

Thanks Airgunner, I have always modelled in the bedroom or longe or in the loft (above the kids bedrooms), so havd never been able to use one due to the paint fumes.  So always brush painted and too set in my ways now to change.  Thanks for your kind words. 

Chris 

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Steve, is that enamels or acrylic paint?  I have never got on with acrylics for that very reason. I usually leave at least 8 hours minimum between coats, but have never thought of doing the klear coat  between coats  so thank you for the tip too that could speed things up.

I'm using exclusively enamels, usually either Humbrol, Revell or old Gloy paints.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

I'm using exclusively enamels, usually either Humbrol, Revell or old Gloy paints.

Oh crikey,  i did have a small area of the white drag up a previous layer,  that was a Revell paint . I had better edit the first paragraph. I don't usually use the Revell paints, but  had a pot from a visit to a local model railway shop.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Brigbeale said:

I’ve just found this while I was looking for another of your builds.

All I can say is WOW. This is simply an outstanding result.

Top marks on this one.

Thanks Brian  that's very kind of you, it's a nice kit to assemble   just needed correcting in a few places and good news that was an HMS Centaur machine was included in the decal options. This was my Dad's first ship so just had to do it.  Really enjoyed this one.

Thanks For bringing back this old build.

Chris

• Like 1