Canopy tinting

Deano353

Hi guys does anyone know of any manufacturer that makes a clear brown? I haven't seen any online on websites to buy so I wondered does anyone know where I might get some or how to make it? 

I've noticed a lot of tinted canopies have a brown tint instead of a green/blue windshield and want to replicate it.

If you don't want to mix one or Future plus tint solutions Gunze (GSI Creos) have one Mr. Clear Color GX: Clear Brown (GX-109)

Ray

• Like 1

Tamiya's clear "smoke" X-19 is a brownish-gray hue that's a pretty good starting point for the color of modern tinted canopies.  You can also mix in the other clear Tamiya colors to suit if you have a unique shade you're trying to match.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CT7567 said:

Tamiya's clear "smoke" X-19 is a brownish-gray hue that's a pretty good starting point for the color of modern tinted canopies.  You can also mix in the other clear Tamiya colors to suit if you have a unique shade you're trying to match.

There is a very good demo of what can be achieved with this process here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QJYqIPdGos

Ray

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ray_W said:

There is a very good demo of what can be achieved with this process here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QJYqIPdGos

Ray

Nice video.  His technique is technically a bit more complicated than I was suggesting, since he's airbrushing separate coats rather than mixing colors. 

Also, I haven't done a tinted canopy recently myself to test it, but I believe you can mix the Tamiya clear colors directly with Future/Kleer/Pledge/whatever it's called in your country this week (similar to @72modeler's suggestion of food coloring).  There are several advantages of this: first, fewer steps as you're applying the color and "gloss" coats in one; Second, the Future is self-leveling so minimizes concern with the paint/pigment coat being uneven; and third, you can safely strip the whole thing with Windex (a mild amonia solution for those who may not have that brand-name product available).

• Like 2

My experience with Klear/colour mixed isn't very positive. I find the klear collects wherever gravity takes it which isn't a problem if it's just to gloss a canopy, but causes uneven colour distribution if used mixed for tinting. 

I find spraying the Tamiya colour first (orange and smoke mixed to make brown) because it clings better than Klear more suitable. Then once dry, dipping in plain Klear to take advantage of its self levelling properties and resulting high gloss finish. 

I'm open to the idea that I'm just doing it wrong though 😄

Edited by Avgas
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I never got notifications for your replies guys thanks for the advice I'll check out the links. I've also heard food colouring works as well so I'll give that a try as well.