Hawker Hurricane MkI

Ray S

Hello all. Just to break an increasing habit of mine, I decided to build a 'new' kit. I had the Arma Hobby Hurricane MkI in stock for a year or so, and it was time to build it, especially as I have read and seen so many good things about this kit. I had the simple boxing with just plastic parts, transfer, and a masking template printed on the instructions. Well, what can I say? It was an absolute delight to look at when I unpacked it, the instructions were pretty good (I do not think I got anything in the wrong place or upside down), there was very little in the way of flash, seam lines or sink marks. I found I did need to open up location holes in many areas (shock! horror!) but I think most of us can cope with that.

In addition to that, just before I started, I ordered a load of Colourcoats paint from @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies, and had a wonderful time experimenting with their paints. I have used plenty of Colourcoats with Naval subjects subjects, but this was the first serious application for aircraft. Using their naphtha thinners and a wide, flat brush, I ended up with some of the best brush painting I have ever had. Thanks Jamie!

Anyway, here is what I ended up with:

DSCN6408

DSCN6397

DSCN6396

As you may gather, I was very impressed with this kit, and the paints.

Thanks for looking, all the best,

Ray

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

That's brush painted? Wow. You've a gift!

Jamie, you supplied the important bit - the paints! Thanks for the comment though, very much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Except, the aerial wire leads to nowhere… 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

Joachim, I know...but I am trying to pluck up courage to fit that little piece of rigging thread, but getting it to look right is tricky for me! I promise I will add a photo if it works out.

Thanks everyone else for the very kind comments.

Ray

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

A lovely model Ray, great work I may have to look at those paints as a brush painter myself I would be interested in an alternative source of enamels.  

Great work fella 

Chris

You would not regret it!

I use a paint pallet, stir the paint with some spare runner, let the paint drip off the runner into the pallet (I usually try and get about five to six drops off the runner), and use a dropper to pop about two or three drops of the Colourcoats naphtha thinner in, stir it and off I go. The thinner seems to evaporate quickly, so I sometimes add another drop later if I am doing quite a bit or if it is hot! This aircraft had three coats on top, two for the sky undersides.

Give them a go!

All the best, Ray

Edited by Ray S
Tidy the post
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Ray S said:

You would not regret it!

I use a paint pallet, stir the paint with some spare runner, let the paint drip off the runner into the pallet (I usually try and get about five to six drops off the runner), and use a dropper to pop about two or three drops of the Colourcoats naphtha thinner in, stir it and off I go. The thinner seems to evaporate quickly, so I sometimes add another drop later if I am doing quite a bit or if it is hot! This aircraft had three coats on top, two for the sky undersides.

Give them a go!

All the best, Ray

Thanks Ray, I will have a look.  I use beer bottle lids to hold my paint mix and glue, I have a lot, hic!!! Not all mine really, honest.  I like them as I can re use as when paint has dried in the lid I coat it with Klear  and then it's ready to be re used.

Thanks for the info 

Chris

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2020 at 7:08 PM, fredsopwith said:

Brilliant job on an absolute classic kit ! these Arma offerings must be the best Hurris in 1/72. Just wish they would do a hooked FAA version (moan, gripe 🤨🤨)

John.

John there is a Royal Navy mk1 that Arma did,  it is a lovely kit.