Fairey Firefly MkI - 1/72 Frog

Eric Mc

Despite lockdown etc , my completion rate is no better than any "normal" year. I started this at the end of May and have finally managed to get it done. It's a typical Frog kit of its era (1972). Overall external shape is good - the raised panel lines are finely done  and the fit - with the odd exception - is quite good.

I built one of these not long after they came out which is, of course, long since gone. I had another go with a Novo version a few years ago but that build stalled - so it's nice to have an example back in my collection after almost 50 years.

The model represents DK438 277/N of 1771 Squadron RN on board HMS Implacable at the end of the Pacific War.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 44

They entered service in 1944 and were used in North Sea operations and later in the Pacific. They had a long post war career and only left Royal Navy service in the early 1960s. Their last major role was as a target drone on places like Hal Far, Malta and Llanbedr, Wales.

I would not have been able to guess at the history of the kit by looking at your photos. Great to see such a nice result from such an old kit (just shows that you don't have to have the latest hyper kit to get a good result).

Duncan B

• Like 1