Tamiya 1/48 F-14D Tomcat WIP

ZHOU Kun

I am also trying out some loadouts with spare GBU-24s from Revell Eurofighter kit and TARPS pod from AMK F-14D kit (the Tamiya pod parts are still in the sprue)

GBU-24s are loaded in a diagonal pattern

spacer.png

Test with AMK Tomcat TARPS pod

spacer.png

spacer.png

Final try out with the KASL Hobby resin flaps and slats

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

It is the start of painting!

Mask and paint Galaxy Model masking tape 

I used Tamiya masking tape for the outside of windshield and canopy, while the inside was masked with Galaxy Model pre-cut masking tapes. The tape was intended for #amkmodels F-14D kit, yet it fitted well with #tamiyamodel F-14D clear parts. 

There was also a green transparent film for the center piece of windscreen, which facilitates the painting procedure 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

the painting began with the black paint (with a drop of white) in the inside of the frames, since i am not going to glue the canopy that i can remove it to display cockpit

spacer.png

And this is the outside, a low visual painting scheme of VF-2 Bounty Hunters, 2003

spacer.png

The transparent pieces without the green film

spacer.png

This green transparent film is quite interesting. It was intended for AMK model F-14D, yet still compatible with Tamiya windshield

spacer.png

Done! Green film on!

spacer.png

Try it on the airframe

spacer.png

spacer.png

WIP .vs. WIP, Tamiya .vs. AMK

spacer.png

• Like 4

I tried spare AMK decals against the Tamiya airframe, the size of vertical tails matches perfectly while the bands on the nose needs some trimming. The only worry is that the color seems too deep on the base paper. I look up some AMK Tomcat builds in VF-2 livery, it seems the decal worked well including the colors so I am still going to try this on

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 1/31/2021 at 23:10, SaminCam said:

Same scheme as I've just finished! Your model is looking great 

thank you! I don't log onto britmodeller forum often, so there is always some delay in my WIP update. Thank you for keeping following this thread!

• Like 2

Preshading, I used a mixture of semi gloss black and ship hull color to depict the dirt, oil leakage, water stain and so on. As this project is going to be another low vis F-14D Tomcat at war, I am going to put more dirt on top of middle and aft fuselage, nacelles , also the side of nose section

here's the effect

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

As for the 3 tone painting for the airframe. I stuck to Gunze's Mr. Color, the solvent based paints. 

Bottom of fuselage: C308 FS36375

Side of nose section and vertical tails: C307 FS36320

Top of fuselage and wings, empanage: C337 FS35237

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 1/31/2021 at 3:19 PM, ZHOU Kun said:

This green transparent film is quite interesting. It was intended for AMK model F-14D, yet still compatible with Tamiya windshield

spacer.png

Done! Green film on!

Looking great!!!

Where did you get the green decal from? Is that part of the AMK kit or an aftermarket piece?

On 2/11/2021 at 09:02, coneheadff said:

Looking great!!!

Where did you get the green decal from? Is that part of the AMK kit or an aftermarket piece?

Thank you! I used the masking set for AMK F-14D Tomcat from Galaxy Models, it worked well on Tamiya F-14D also. The set includes masking tapes for multiple parts (airframe, ordnance, and so on), transparent film for windshield and one nose tip metal pitot tube 

On 2/11/2021 at 11:45, JJ2016 said:

This is a truly amazing build mate, and its given me some ideas on how I can expand my display space with in-flight builds ! 

Enjoying this...

Cheers

JJ

Thank you! I can store 5 to 7 1/48 scale aircraft on one floor in my cabinet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Time to move onto the walkways over port and starboard intakes

The first step is to mask the edge of each walkway.

spacer.png

And then, mask the neighbourhood to prevent stray paint contaminating. Apply gunship gray (Mr.Color C305) to the walkways unevenly, the walkways on real aircraft wears a lot

spacer.png

Then, the starboard walkway is done

spacer.png

Then, the port walkway is done in the same way

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 2

Painting of main landing gear bays: it is easier to paint it after you finish the airframe camoflage painting

First, remove the fuel tanks and main gears before painting. Mask the edge of main landing gear bays.

spacer.png

Second: apply white paint by airbrush

spacer.png

Put the fuel tanks and landing gears back on

spacer.png

Now it comes to left main gear bay

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 3

Fuel dump pipes, Chaff/Flare dispenser boxes are painted

spacer.png

spacer.png

The lights viewed from the bottom of wing and fuselage

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Most of the paintings are done, now it is time to takeoff!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 3

A little update on decaling. I used the spare decals from my previous build, an AMK F-14D kit. The decals worked perfectly in the AMK build but did not this time.

I usually have one or two hour per night build my models, approximately two or three days per week. At the first night I applied some large decals such as the VF-2 Bounty Hunter bands, rolled it with some cotton sticks, then leaving it over night after applying some Mr. Marker Setter.

Yet I found a lot of bubbles the second night. What a disastrous view on the starboard 

spacer.png

The bands on the left side worked better but bubbles were still clearly visible 😞

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 2

I tried slicing the bubble open with a sharp knife and then applied more Mr. Mark Setter, yet it was too late. It seemed the decals had already been dissolved. I had to sand the bubbles out with a piece of fine sandpaper:-(

This was what the aircraft was like last night. The decal was combination of Tamiya and AMK markings. Some of the decals was still wet. I am waiting until the Marker Setter dries

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 2

On 28/10/2020 at 12:18, ZHOU Kun said:

Nose gear bay assembled. I am wondering if the wires are supplying electric power to the AN/APG-71 radar and its processing units. Since power lines are vulnerable to hydraulic fluid that leaks, are they put in bundles and covered with yellowish tapes for protection? I freehanded the wires and clips with Tamiya acrylic paints, also freehanded are the piston of the hydraulic actuators for gear and doors retraction/extension

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope this aircraft-in-flight fleet would expand soon

spacer.png

Your photos and most of all your models are excellent.  Well done.  Please may I ask where you purchased those model stands from/what/how have you made them?

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FredmeisterPNE said:

Your photos and most of all your models are excellent.  Well done.  Please may I ask where you purchased those model stands from/what/how have you made them?

Regards

Martin

Hello:

this is a wood board. I bought it at a local online shop (www.taobao.com) in China. I drilled a hole and added a steel tube to it.

Regards

kun

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 1