Tamiya 1/48 F-14D Tomcat WIP

ZHOU Kun

15 hours ago, mark.au said:

Might be just me but I'm not seeing any pictures ?

Maybe you can try refreshing the page several times. 😀 I also experience similar problems reading posts in this forum, but refreshing the pages works everytime

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 1

Test fitting with airbags and air seal plates, it seems OK. 

The plane is supported with a steel tube whose diameter is 3 milimeters. No inner tube added yet, this is going to be planted in the fuselage later on.

Next I am going to wait till putty dries, then sand the wing until it is neat and clean. Also ahead is assembly of fuselages and intakes. I am also waiting for my replacement exhaust cones from Res-Kit, hope those cones work better than the ones from KASL Hobby. 

Steel tubes are ready for modification to main landing gear shock struts, really looking forward to the finished piece!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 3

A little update on the canopy jettison handles. I cut the handles out of some plastic sheet

spacer.png

And then simply painted them yellow. Yes I know for the real thing only the hand grips are yellow, yet this is too tiny for a model airplane:-)

spacer.png

This is what the cockpit looks like now

spacer.png

spacer.png

I really missed the AMK decals since they are of decent quality, yet I have to check if the edges of large decals matches Tamiya airframe. Also some stencils are absent since I used them when building the AMK Tomcat

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

For the scale mates who can not see these pictures, please wait before I update on www.scalemates.com. I am really sorry for the inconvenience

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 2

Hello today! I am keeping up with my work in progress. Finally closed the nose section with the nose gear bay and crew compartment inside. For mates who can not see the pictures, sorry for inconvenience but I would be grateful if you click the link below and take a view at the pics I uploaded there!

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=67957&p=albums&album=65250

Here comes the updates:

I saw the GWH F-14D VF-31 post by @viperbite at arcforums.com , it was a very  brilliant build and a former maintenance crew relied so I learned that F-14s from March 2003 in combat cruise might have their refueling probe covers removed after an IFR accident. I became interested and took interest in VF-2 Bounty Hunters since AMK has the NE106 decals. Although there may be some fitting problem if I place latge AMK decals on a Tamiya Tomcat, since the nose  and tail shape are somehow different, I would give it a try:-)

spacer.png

Masking tapes used to make seat belts

spacer.png

The design by Tamiya is really nice and neat, when compared to its AMK counterpart

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Mask and paint: intake trunks and perhaps the first stage of F110-GE-400 Turbofan engines. If you can not see the images please click the link below:

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=67957&p=albums&album=65250

I am also updating on scalemates, or you can vist me on Instagram. My account is 'rraptorr'

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A little update: WIP ResKit F-14D closed exhaust nozzles for Tamiya

spacer.png

Ref: Danny Coremans, Uncovering the Grumman F-14A/B/D Tomcat, DACO Productions, 2006

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

For more pictures, please visit my album:

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=67957&p=albums&album=67829

I have also been updating on IG and Facebook

Instagram: RraptorR

Facebook:Kun Zhou

• Like 3

A little modification was done to the main gear legs. I added a rotation adaptor to the front of each of main gear shock strut, and the hydraulic lines for main wheel brakes

Now: it is the updates on landing gears painting and weathering

Basically I am using Mr.Color C107 gloss white for the gear struts, drag struts and the launch bar. For nose gear, inner tube piston was painted with Mr. Color SM204 super stainless steel over a base of gloss black, so as to achieve a shiny look. The inner tube pistons of main gear are made of steel tubes, I just masked them when applying white paint to shock struts

For the tyres, I painted them with Mr.Color C33 flat black with a drop of white. All parts are masked and airbrushed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 3

More... updating before applying primer... Tomcats AMK and Tamiya

spacer.png

spacer.png

Landing gear with color and weather effects are on the airframe. The TCS/IRST dual pod is also dry fitted on. This time it begins to look like an F-14D, when compared to AMK Tomcat, the nose of Tamiya Tomcat is just slim. There are also some components needed to clean up, such as the leading edge slats, resin wing flaps.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 2