Tamiya 1/48 F-14D Tomcat WIP

ZHOU Kun

Having heard about the shape issues of AMK Tomcat and perfection of Tamiya Tomcat, I was prompt to buy this one. Yet I dont want to make it simply on the ground and have its wings fully swept, I needed some dynamic set up...here are the ingredients:

Tamiya 61118 F-14D Tomcat 1/48

KASL Hobby F-14A/B/D Slats & Wing Flap Set for Tamiya

KASL Hobby F110-GE-400 Exhaust Set for Tamiya

some stainless steel tubes to do some scratch build

spacer.png

The build starts with the mock up of fuselage and the KASL slat and wing flap set

spacer.png

spacer.png

The previous build, the AMK Tomcat, is just sitting in my cupboard supervising my new build😃

spacer.png

Here comes the first difficulty: the hinges on wings and flaps does not align perfectly. Does anyone have any good advices for correcting this ?

spacer.png

just small misalignment, do I need to widen the slot for outboard rail if I already aligned the inboard rail? 

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

Hello ZHOU kun,

Excellent  start.

LOVE TOMCATS   so lookinh ahead to seeing more.

:clap:

Love your TOMCAT in your display  cabinet together with the Hawk..

:goodjob:

In fact there are two hawks: one 2014 version and one 2016 version. I saw them flying during the 2016 Zhuhai air show, they are really professional. I also love Short Tucano, it is a powerful turboprop trainer and looks more appealing than its Brazilian counterpart EMB-312. It is a pity that RAF retired them.

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 1

On 10/09/2020 at 03:08, ZHOU Kun said:

Here comes the first difficulty: the hinges on wings and flaps does not align perfectly. Does anyone have any good advices for correcting this ?

Not really. Thats the problem with such large long resin pieces and the potential for shrinkage. You can be sure the masters would have lined up. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Having been busy for quite some time. I am working on the cockpit, here is how it looks now. Normally I stick to my instagram page since it is more convenient to upload photos on my iPhone, so the WIP photos comes to britmodeller with some delays. 

The control panels were masked and sprayed matt black (Mr. Color), the switches on the panels are freehanded with Tamiya acrylic paints

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

I had the good fortune to attend an air show at Pratt & Whitney’s airfield in 1990 and we had a display by a pair of tomcats which was unbelievably impressive. As it was a P&W do I think they were giving it their all. At one point I’m pretty sure they went supersonic over the airfield and at another they did a vertical climb on afterburners. Stunning stuff.

will enjoy watching the build and a few fond memories. 

• Like 2

A big day for my Tamiya F-14D Tomcat. The cockpit finally comes together as I painted and weathered the aircrew figures. as for the visors, I painted semi gloss black and then polished them with Tamiya Polishing Compound. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 10/15/2020 at 02:47, SaminCam said:

Is anyone else having problems with the photos 😭 i just see spacer.png...

Sometimes it also happens to me. Trying refreshing the page may help!😝

On 10/15/2020 at 09:19, Bell209 said:

I didn't realise there was a resin flap set available. I might've gone down the Tamiya path instead of the Hasegawa route, had I known. 🤔

The resin wings are really expensive(2/3 of the price of the kit) , but they do fix the problem that Tamiya did not mould wings with high lift devices

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2020 at 11:47 AM, SaminCam said:

Is anyone else having problems with the photos 😭 i just see spacer.png...

@ SaminCam I'm seeing the same 'spacer.png' text when using Chrome.   In Internet Explorer I see blank spaces.   In Microsoft Edge, I CAN see the images.  

@ ZHOU Kun - Thank you posting your images comparing the Tamiya and AMK cockpits.

Edited by John B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little update. Added some bundles of wires to the nose gear bay since they are so obvious. I referred to the AMK instruction when placing the copper and tin wires.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tamiya preferred to simplfy the detail to achieve a pleasurable build, while AMK chose to pursuit abundant details. The former even molded the hydraulic accumulator together with nose gear retraction/extension actuator, I don't think it right and divded it back into two components.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Nose gear bay assembled. I am wondering if the wires are supplying electric power to the AN/APG-71 radar and its processing units. Since power lines are vulnerable to hydraulic fluid that leaks, are they put in bundles and covered with yellowish tapes for protection? I freehanded the wires and clips with Tamiya acrylic paints, also freehanded are the piston of the hydraulic actuators for gear and doors retraction/extension

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope this aircraft-in-flight fleet would expand soon

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I have talked about the mis-align of wing rails and the slots, which was somehow tricky when you attach the slats and trailing edge flaps to the wing. I considered moving the rails (slats) and hinges (flaps), but it was difficult to do a clean cut with modeling knives.  I decided to widen the slots instead after halting for a few days, so an acceptable alignment is achieved.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

i am going to prepare the holding tubes and main gear legs for an in-flight configuration on the following weeks, just as what I had done to the AMK F-14D several months ago (shown below)

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 1

As for the KASL resin exhausts, they are way too small when compared to original parts or spare AMK exhaust cones. Thus I ordered RESKIT 1/48 480068 ‘’F-14D Tomcat closed nozzles for Tamiya kit‘, hopefully the RESKIT package may come in a few days

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And this is a try with the AMK closed cone, the exterior worked out OK but it lacks detail

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2