Noob question

Foxy1972

Hope someone can help... Once I finish my current motorcycle build I'd like to try something different.. So as a star wars fan I thought why not... So my question what is the standard scale size of a alstar wars model or if that's too diverse what's a good size to build? Thanks in advance

To add to the comments it sometimes depends on the model too, if your building one of the bigger ships 1/144 scale would be best other wise you will need somewhere big to put it! 

i found this vid interesting as it shows the size difference between models so might help making a decision.

There are several different scales and manufacturers when it comes to Star Wars kits.

In the UK, the main one that's fairly easily available is Revell.  They do easykits, which are pre-painted snap-together stuff, or they have a few of those kits in proper model kit form that needs glue and paint instead. They come in different scales to each other and aren't all one scale, they're box-scale so just sized to fit in the box they come in. These are pretty cheap kits go for under £10 usually, but they are quite small and have a limited number of parts (like 10 - 20) but they aren't too bad. Quite a while back Revell also did some slightly larger easyKits for the Clone Wars animated series too, but those aren't really available in shops anymore so you'd have to get those second-hand.

The other option that has more variety is Bandai. They have 2 different things - 1/72 scale, or their vehicle collection, or they do figure kits. Their 1/72 ships are things like the X-wing, TIE Fighter, AT-ST (1/48), Snowspeeder etc but there's only a few of their 1/72 kits that are officially sold here, re-packaged and distributed by Revell and tend to sell for around £20 - 30 (unfortunately things like the 1/72 A-Wing aren't available here at all). Unfortunately their figure kits and vehicle collection would have to be imported, hopefully they eventually make more available here properly. 

There are some far, far older kits (80s or 90s) made by ERTL too but don't know too much about those myself and you'd have to get them second-hand.

So really it's down to Revell's box-scale stuff that's a random assortment of scales, or Revell's re-packaging of a few of those 1/72 Bandai kits. The Bandai kits are definitely far better but also more expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Foxy1972 said:

Thanks guys... And I presume they are generally 1/72 scale? The likes of the x wing and y wing.. I may invest in one and give it a shot.. 

Yes, the Bandai Star Wars kits that have been released here are mostly 1/72 scale. While Bandai does have kits of lots of different star wars models, many of them like the A-Wing and Y-wing aren't officially sold here unfortunately, Revell have the distribution license for the Bandai kits here and so far there's only a few of the ships available, which are the 1/72 X-Wing, 1/72 TIE Fighter, 1/72 B-Wing, 1/48 Snowspeeder, 1/48 AT-ST, 1/144 AT-AT and 1/144 KSE Firespray (Slave One).

Edited by TheVoidDragon

7 hours ago, TheVoidDragon said:

Yes, the Bandai Star Wars kits that have been released here are mostly 1/72 scale. While Bandai does have kits of lots of different star wars models, many of them like the A-Wing and Y-wing aren't officially sold here unfortunately, Revell have the distribution license for the Bandai kits here and so far there's only a few of the ships available, which are the 1/72 X-Wing, 1/72 TIE Fighter, 1/48 Snowspeeder, 1/48 AT-ST, 1/144 AT-AT, 1/144 B-Wing and 1/144 KSE Firespray (Slave One).

The Bandai/Revell B-Wing is 1/72nd scale.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 12:33 AM, Foxy1972 said:

Hope someone can help... Once I finish my current motorcycle build I'd like to try something different.. So as a star wars fan I thought why not... So my question what is the standard scale size of a alstar wars model or if that's too diverse what's a good size to build? Thanks in advance

We're all modellers (or fans of model kits), we're all in this together...

Nobody should judge you on what scale you chose, you are free to be creative, you are free to chose your scale.

As we're all fellow modellers, all we care about is looking at each other's models (regardless of scale) and say...

"Whoa! Cool!"

And I have to agree with @Pete in Lincs that it would just depends on your display space. See how much space you got in wherever you're planning on displaying your build, and figure on a scale that goes well with how much space you got.

Best of luck.

• Like 1