1/48 Lockheed RF-104G Starfighter, 306 Sqn. KLu

Hi all,

Here's my just finished Kinetic 1/48 Starfighter, which I have done as a Dutch RF-104G, using the boxing released for the Dutch market, and a Daco Orpheus pod. The markings come from a Dutch Decal sheet, and some from the kit. It's a very nice kit, and I thoroughly enjoyed building it. One small thing that needs to be fixed in the kit, is the missing centreline pylon, though. The kit comes only with the twin AIM-9 launchers for the belly, but all the options in the first release, and this boxing are for strike squadrons, which do need the centreline pylon for weapons. I got mine from a Hasegawa TF-104 kit, which doesn't need it anyway.

The real D-8143 was built by Fokker, and served with 306 Squadron at Volkel, until it was sold to Turkey in the early 1980's, where it was eventually scrapped.

Painted with MRP on top, and Humbrol on the underside.

RUcqtPl.jpg

4YjbiKZ.jpg

Db44etO.jpg

5MzkfFF.jpg

I may need to fix that pitot tube. I don't like the way it looks now.

Thanks for looking, I hope you like it.

• Like 56
  • Thanks 2

Great looking 104! These guys were based near my home town. How I miss that howl of the J79..

9 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Nice!  Weren't two or three of these used to provide shock effect during an anti-terrorist/hostage rescue operation back in the 70's?

They were indeed used during the action at De Punt involving a hijacked train in 1977. Those 104's were based at Leeuwarden though.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 1:08 AM, Creepy Pete said:

Painted with MRP on top, and Humbrol on the underside.

I may need to fix that pitot tube. I don't like the way it looks now.

Thanks for looking, I hope you like it.

Hot damn!! That looks very, very realistic! I was a spotter during the last three years of the F-104 at Volkel, and this is exactly what they looked like. Down to the bare-metal tips of the tanks 🙂

Which MRP colours did you use? They look spot-on to me.

Gorgeous!

Rob

Thanks for the kind word, everyone!

On 9/10/2020 at 1:54 AM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Nice!  Weren't two or three of these used to provide shock effect during an anti-terrorist/hostage rescue operation back in the 70's?

Yes, but not from this unit. Although this unit did do some photo recce before the operation.

On 9/10/2020 at 5:54 AM, Harry Callahan said:

Superb 104, it looks awesome. Yes i think the dutch scheme was the same as the germans, if im not wrong.

There are some subtle differences, The German ones had that silvery underside that turned dull over time. The Dutch ones had a grey paint on the underside instead.

8 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

Hot damn!! That looks very, very realistic! I was a spotter during the last three years of the F-104 at Volkel, and this is exactly what they looked like. Down to the bare-metal tips of the tanks 🙂

Which MRP colours did you use? They look spot-on to me.

Gorgeous!

Rob

Thanks! I'm not old enough to remember seeing and recognizing operational F-104's, sadly. I used MRP-209 Basalt Grey and MRP-208 Yellow Olive over a black primer coat.

7 minutes ago, Creepy Pete said:

There are some subtle differences, The German ones had that silvery underside that turned dull over time. The Dutch ones had a grey paint on the underside instead.

Thanks! I'm not old enough to remember seeing and recognizing operational F-104's, sadly. I used MRP-209 Basalt Grey and MRP-208 Yellow Olive over a black primer coat.

Thanks! I've got those, so I'll paint samples tomorrow. Here are my previous attempts at matching the colour. But I have to add: to my eye, in natural light, the matching looks vastly different. Lesson learned: the digital camera does strange things to colours! Or my eyes are very badly calibrated.

rf104-25.jpg

And one comment on the use of grey instead of silvery paint for the lower side. The RNLAF did have two RF-104s with a silver lower side: D-8013 and D-8103. The latter crashed in 1983, and a few days after the crash we went to the crash site. The crash crew had just finished their work, and we jumped into the three pits that the aircraft had made in a cow meadow. I dug up a shoebox full of parts, including a small part of fuselage skin. The top photo shows the silvery colour, the second photo shows part of the large serial number.

d-8103-09.jpg

d-8103-10.jpg

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie
  • Like 2