Westland Whirlwind HAS Mk.7 and Torpedo?

armada68

I’m in search of any reference material (images) showing how a torpedo was mounted to this helicopter.  My understanding is they operated in hunter/killer pairs - one dedicated to sonar and detection, the other to deliver the torpedo.  Any information is greatly appreciated!  

6 hours ago, armada68 said:

Thanks James!  Any help is greatly appreciated.   So I'm assuming that somehow a Mk.44 torpedo was carried in this underside recess.  

Correct, but I don't have any details of the suspension system, or indeed the SONAR fit on the 'hunter' Whirlwind unfortunately.

Only the HAS.7 and 9 had this feature, but I think the Wessex came into use before the HAS.9 was required and it was used for HAR shore rescue duties.

The first Whirlwind HAS 7 squadron reached operational service in the AS role in Aug 1957 and lasted until mid-1963 in that role when 824 squadron disbanded after a tour on Centaur. The airframes lasted longer in the commando role. And you are correct that the operated as hunters with dipping sonar or killers with a single torpedo.

The Mark 44 torpedo entered service with the USN in 1960 but did not reach the RN for some time after that. I haven’t been able to tell exactly when, but it was before the introduction of the Wasp to trials in mid-1963.

The main weapon prior to the Mark 44 was the Mark 30 (Dealer-B) which remained in service until the late 1960s, at least with the RAF. Details here. http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WTBR_PostWWII.php

The Wessex HAS 1 began to replace the Whirlwind HAS 7 in the front line AS role from 1961.

Edited by EwenS
  • Like 2

The Whirlwind mk9 didn't carrier torpedo it was solely used in the SAR role . You are correct some HAS7 were fitted with light weight sonar  others carried the torpedo to attack the target submarine. The equipment was transferred into the Wessex HAS1 which could carry both sonar & two torpedoes at the same time. 

10 hours ago, armada68 said:

Thanks Ewen!  This is the closest I've come to a photo... looks like a Mk.44 to me (print is too small to read)... and I have no idea of these are operational colors that align with what it would have looked like in operation at the time.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/S312ZbcbxJGiN1sV8

I agree it looks like a Mk44/46. The Mk30 was about the same length but fatter - 18” v 12.75”.  But the colour doesn’t look right for operational weapons though.

• 2 weeks later...