De Havilland D.H.88 Black Magic racer completed (SBS Model, 1/72nd scale, resin)

(2015 build, posted for reference purposes, since fellow BMers have their eyes and hands on some of these, text from 2015 too):

Modelers of the World:
Hear you! Hear you! No more having to totally rework the venerable but ultimately atrocious Arfix DH88!
SBS from Hungary has released this beauty of a kit of a much needed up-to-date kit of this iconic racing machine. It is a resin kit, but of very good sort with excellent technology and properties.
This is no doubt an outstanding kit, it is a new class of kit altogether, an order of magnitude above all model aircraft resin kits I have personally seen or built made by a commercial manufacturer.

It will not assemble itself, though, so it will still require patience, care, accuracy and a steady hand.

The price is fair, especially comparing it with other resin kits that are more expensive ( as much as three times more expensive) and not even nearly as good, not to mention with parts not keyed but with butt joints.  The SBS kit has slot and tongue, or peg and recess interlocking devices, as in any normal injected styrene kit. A plus for many modelers not very happy with short-run kits devoided of such features.

There are a few points that need attention, and they are described in the building article. So check that if you are interested following the link

Congratulations SBS Model from Hungary, a job beautifully done.

62.jpg

61.jpg

64.jpg

68.jpg

You can see in the following images that I have added the three small weight balances on rudder and elevators:

80.jpg

83.jpg

85.jpg

82.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, VG 33 said:

Hi

This is really fantastic build. I have a couple of KP kits to build a red and a green of them. Your build will be a guide for me.

Thank you for sharing.

Patrick

Thanks a bunch, Patrick!

For the sake of clarity (for others reading) this is the resin SBS kit, but I posted a link to the injected plastic KP build at the beginning of the SBS WiP.

Here is the link to the KP kit build again:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235047969-kp-172nd-de-havilland-dh88-comet-racer/

Looking forward to your builds, always a pleasure to see those racer models!

Thank you for posting this.
A couple months ago, when I finished my Wisconsin Central Airlines Electra, I was deciding what next to build.  It had to be relatively straight forward, because I knew I’d be moving soon & wouldn’t have a lot of time. It also had to be small, to make packing easier.

Due in large part to your glowing comments about this kit, I pulled the trigger and ordered one.  As fate would have it, I wasn’t able to start building before I had to pack up my workshop.  But, it is at the top of my stash for when I get my bench back in order 😀

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Thank you for posting this.
A couple months ago, when I finished my Wisconsin Central Airlines Electra, I was deciding what next to build.  It had to be relatively straight forward, because I knew I’d be moving soon & wouldn’t have a lot of time. It also had to be small, to make packing easier.

Due in large part to your glowing comments about this kit, I pulled the trigger and ordered one.  As fate would have it, I wasn’t able to start building before I had to pack up my workshop.  But, it is at the top of my stash for when I get my bench back in order 😀

I am sure you will enjoy it, Bill.

I built two and bought another for posterity, still in the box, as an example of what a good kit looks like.

Cheers

4 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

A magnificent beauty!

The finish conjures up the comedian Red Skelton in his classic ad parody 'Guzzler's Gin' – schmooth!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks, Joachim!

It's a very nice kit, and that's all the merit.

36 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Another beauty Moa, cracking work fella. 

Chris

Appreciate the kind words, Chris!

The kit's quality helps a lot

Cheers

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BluesModeller said:

Moa, you build kits faster than it takes me to open the box, and always to the highest of standards!!!

Cracking build and, as always, well photographed.

Thanks BM! but notice -as stated at the beginning- that this is a 5 year-old build, posted now as I thought it could be of interest for other fellow BMers that just got the kit and plan to build it.

It may be that I am fast, but not that fast!  🌩️

Cheers

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Moa said:

Thanks BM! but notice -as stated at the beginning- that this is a 5 year-old build, posted now as I thought it could be of interest for other fellow BMers that just got the kit and plan to build it.

It may be that I am fast, but not that fast!  🌩️

Cheers

Ha, how did I miss that!!! 🥴

That’s what I get for browsing Britmodeller when I should be asleep!

• Haha 1