Tamiya 1/20 Benneton Ford B192

Woohoo - I am finally calling my first kit after 30 years done. Actually now all the decals are on, it's been clear coated etc I am pretty happy. I was going to display it engine cowling off but I may keep it on (note I have taken it's good side, the other side doesn't fit quite as well but the cowling was pretty warped so had to work it into shape).

There are some errors and a few bits with hindsight I could have done better however it is certainly the best model I have ever produced and have plenty of new skills to take forward with my next builds.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 13

Great build :) 

Only thing I would do is get some 400 grit emery and sand the seam lines off the tyres to make them look scrubbed in, but that's just my opinion :) 

Looking forward to seeing your next one, keep up the good work

Ian :) 

• Like 1

Nice work, an excellent build after a 30 year hiatus.

I hope you don't mind me making a suggestion for next time, but you can sand the tyres (this is a bit of annoying and boring job) which would get rid of those mould seams. Note that as I write this I can see a Ferrari F189 from the same range which I build about 30 years ago and has the same seams strill present (!) so a bit of pot and kettle here :)

EDIT: It appears there's been some simultaneous ragging on the tyres here, which should indicate how good a job you're done on the rest of the kit!

• Like 1

Thanks both for your kind comments. Re the tyres - I have thought of doing this but I had to fight this kit a little bit (and myself to push past a certain point) so for now just wanted to call it done. I may well tidy it up a little in a few weeks. 

Don’t know what’s next. I have the ICM Chernobyl Radiation Station/Truck and the Revell Shackleton AEW.2 in the stash. Was going to do the truck but the Shack is tempting me hugely plus I have a idea for it that I’d quite like to see through. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Spiny said:

but you can sand the tyres (this is a bit of annoying and boring job) which would get rid of those mould seams.

I agree with Spiny and Redstaff.

However, sometimes tedious little jobs like this can be therapeutic. The mindless tedium of the job allows me to think  about other tings, like; "What is the meaning of life?" or "What's for tea?"

And you get a sense of satisfaction when the job is done. In my experience, for some materials (Vinyl, for example - Monogram/Revell seem to love this material for tyres!), you may need a coarser grit.

Anyway, other than that great build. I love the Tamiya F1 cars, though I don't have many in my stash.

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

Very impressive results after a 30 yr hiatus! Not sure if your previous modeling efforts were done during your childhood but I picked up this hobby again in my late 50’s after a +45 yr break and found my skills, patience and, most importantly, my budget we’re/ are vastly improved from my youth. It’s also a wonderful diversion from the stresses and anxieties of these crazy days.

Two-tone paint schemes can be challenging and you’ve pulled it off very nicely. Lots of great classic 1/20 F1 kits out there (Tamiya, Hasegawa, Fujimi, Ebbro), hope you able to build and post more of them. Welcome back to our fun hobby!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nearsightedjohn said:

Very impressive results after a 30 yr hiatus! Not sure if your previous modeling efforts were done during your childhood but I picked up this hobby again in my late 50’s after a +45 yr break and found my skills, patience and, most importantly, my budget we’re/ are vastly improved from my youth. It’s also a wonderful diversion from the stresses and anxieties of these crazy days.

Two-tone paint schemes can be challenging and you’ve pulled it off very nicely. Lots of great classic 1/20 F1 kits out there (Tamiya, Hasegawa, Fujimi, Ebbro), hope you able to build and post more of them. Welcome back to our fun hobby!

Yep - last built a model in my teens and yes, I have much more money to spend on such things so, for example, I can buy every colour on the paint chart even if it is only used for one tiny part of the model.  And yes, I am more than happy to take weeks to build and try and get it right.  Must say I am very pleased to be back in it :)