3 historical camo that Lufwaffe's tornado had in the 80s/90s

Davide Calzolari

Luftwaffe german Tornados for what i recall had 3 major camo(included marineflieger,obviously,another air arm )

-first one,seen around in first half of 80's: very very light grey undersides -upper surfaces 3 colors: black, medium grey and a rotbraun (a redish brown) kinda that one of WWII:a camo probably proper for the condition of terrain at the border between RFt and ddr(i'm not sure because i went in germany decades ago when i was children but seems to me not so "woodland" as others areas-see below)

-2nd camo, 2nd part of 80's:probably on the long wave of the u.s europe one,a more modern camo wrap around of a dark grey,a medium green  and a dark green

3rd camo,first 90's -until end 90s: 3 tone: black,dark green and medium green (no one medium/dark grey anymore)

(2000s years a strange camo with wave line of dividing,recallign the old gull gray and white of the navy but with more faded shades)

am i wrong,ive forgotten some or in substanc i got them :)?

https://www.tornadosig.com/luftwaffe-camouflage-schemes.html#

I have never seen the first camo you mentioned. 

The only official camos are the ones listed above on the Tornadosig page.

And the two schemes used by the Marine

https://www.tornadosig.com/marineflieger-camouflage-schemes.html

Alex

• Like 1

thnx ,the one i said above appear in your  first link.top of the page-let say that with the cold german weather more than a "yellow olive" really it appeared like a rotbraun ,i'll search for the pix on google and i will post about-the old italeri 72sc box in first 80's featured this camo and decals for on the rear of the box 

If I'm not mistaken, there were a few "one off" test schemes also worn by Luftwaffe and Marineflieger Tornados that used similar patterns and in some cases colors to the Norm 83 and Norm 87 schemes.  In particular I recall a lighter variant of Norm 87 as depicted on the box art of the Italeri 1/72 IDS (I don't believe this was just a color error on Italeri's part as I've seen the same colors in photos):

Italeri Tornado IDS

Tornado Norm 76 Scheme Luftwaffe:

norm-76-lwygkuv.png

Experimentalscheme Luftwaffe:

tornado-eps9nj5j.png

Norm 83 Luftwaffe:

tornado-zeichnung-us-h9kkf.jpg

During the Yugoslav War and before Norm 95 was introduced, a temporary Single Grey Scheme was applied on some of the ECR Tornados. You can read more about that here

Norm 95 Early

norm-95--v-1-1024kqjag.jpg

Norm 95 Late:

tornado-zeichnung-linark0c.jpg

Luftwaffe Actual Single Grey Scheme:

tornado-sgt4jmp.jpg

Norm 76 Marineflieger:

tornado-norm-76-marinlak5k.png

Experimentalscheme Marineflieger:

4385-esm2jw6.png

Marine WA Version A:

tornado-mf--a9rkhp.png

Marine WA Version D

tornado-mfd8ok5c.jpg

Edited by JayBee
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, coneheadff said:

https://www.tornadosig.com/luftwaffe-camouflage-schemes.html#

I have never seen the first camo you mentioned. 

The only official camos are the ones listed above on the Tornadosig page.

And the two schemes used by the Marine

https://www.tornadosig.com/marineflieger-camouflage-schemes.html

Alex

The Mongram kit of the Tornado that came out in the early 80s had decals for both RAF and Luftwaffe aircraft at the TTTE.  Sorry can't remember what the acronym stands for although Tornado Training Establishment seems to be part of it.  The Luftwaffe aircraft was in the first scheme that he described.

Later,

Dave

• 3 weeks later...