Hawker Siddeley Dominie T.1 (A03009V) 1:72 Airfix "Vintage Classics"

Julien

Hawker Siddeley Dominie T.1 (A03009V)

1:72 Airfix "Vintage Classics"

spacer.png

This is one of those aircraft you see and you are not sure straight away about its linage? The aircraft was originally designed by de Havilland as the DH.125 Jet Dragon, and entered service as the Hawker Siddeley HS.125, and later the British Aerospace 125. It has been said this was the UK's most successful business jet with many civilian, and military operators throughout the world. The Royal Air Force purchased 20 to be used as navigational trainers under the designation Dominie T.1  This aircraft would continue on in RAF service until 2011. 

The Kit

This is the Airfix tool which was new back in 1968.  Now it is a product of that time however this does not make it a bad kit, just different to what we see now. There is not a great amount of surface detail, and whats there is raised. Their is an interior for the cockpit  but nothing at all for the rear. Construction starts here with a decal being provided for the instrument panel and two generic figures if you want to use them. A solid bulkhead separates the cockpit from the rest of the aircraft.  There is a one piece lower main wing to which the left and right uppers are added. Separate ailerons are provided. At the rear the tailplanes and control surfaces go on. This e full span part split upper/lower with separate flight surfaces. The top of the tail then goes on after this. The Rolls Royce Vipers then go on, one each side of the tail. Flipping the model over to finish it off the landing gear and gear doors go on. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Markings

Decals are from Cartograf so that guarantees no issues with them Decals are provided for XS712, 713 and 714 from No.1 Air Navigation School, RAF Stradishall, UK 1968.

spacer.png

Conclusion

Not all old tool kits should be consigned to history and its good to see this one being re-released. It is good to see Airfix releasing this under the Vintage Classics" label thus assuring people know what they are getting in the box. Recommended. 

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of logo.gif

• Like 14

The kit appeared in the mid late 1990s/early 2000s with markings showing one of the (then) current black Dominies. However, by the time the RAF's Dominies received these black schemes, the nose of the aircraft had been enlarged to take a bigger radar - so the kit as it comes in the box is not really accurate for a later black schemed version. 

17 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

The kit appeared in the mid late 1990s/early 2000s with markings showing one of the (then) current black Dominies. However, by the time the RAF's Dominies received these black schemes, the nose of the aircraft had been enlarged to take a bigger radar - so the kit as it comes in the box is not really accurate for a later black schemed version. 

Thank you Eric  for the answer, although it's  sad new. The Dominies look smart in black. And white is my nightmare...

Edited by manuel

You might want to have a look at the earliest schemes worn by the Dominies when they were first delivered. It consisted mainly of a silver finish with orange/dayglo panels. If I get around to building mine that's the scheme I'd go for.

36 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

You might want to have a look at the earliest schemes worn by the Dominies when they were first delivered. It consisted mainly of a silver finish with orange/dayglo panels. If I get around to building mine that's the scheme I'd go for.

Seen here; https://www.airteamimages.com/hawker-siddeley-dominie_XS709_united-kingdom---royal-air-force_167841_large.html

And in this build here; 

• Like 1

Because the "Vintage Classics" format reverts to the original construction guide, it means there are no instructions re the colours for cockpit, cabin, pilot, engine faces and wheel wells. This is somewhat ironic, since the new decal sheet includes an instrument panel for the first time in the kit's history that I know of. Another minor issue with the original construction guide is that there is no clear placement for parts 63 thru 66 on top of the rear fuselage, although this is easy to figure out. Nor does any version of the instructions that I know of specify the amount of nose weight required. I would estimate at least 10 grammes.

BTW, the cockpit and cabin are Hu 166 light grey according to the 2005 instructions (download here: https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/9/2/3/163923-46-instructions.pdf)

Oh, and the wingspan of the model given on the side of the box is woefully short: 166mm instead of 199mm.

Edited by klr

Thank's for the review Julien,it's had me go and buy one as oddly despite my advancing years I've never even seen one in the flesh,It's a beauty

and no flash at all can't wait to start it!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's for the review Julien,it's had me go and buy one as oddly despite my advancing years I've never even seen one in the flesh,It's a beauty

and no flash at all can't wait to start it!

There's a very tidy example at Newark Air Museum. A place well worth a visit.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dalea said:

Replacing the Airfix nose with one by Air-Graphics should not be too difficult but I seem to recall that the black ones had a different window arrangement as well. Can anyone set me straight?

Yes looks to be different on both sides