David Brown tractor + Bomb trolleys in 1/32nd

Thought I would show some progress photos of this kit which I recently acquired to join my same scale Lancaster and scratch built OIL bowser.

The usual box and parts photos . . . . I would just like to say that this is the FIRST resin model I have attempted.

David-Brown-tractor.jpg

DB-tractor-instructions.jpg

The parts are very crisp and I am liking the detail . . . 

DB-tractor-parts-1.jpg

DB-tractor-parts-2.jpg

DB-tractor-parts-3.jpg

DB-tractor-parts.jpg

I will be wanting to make a few alterations to the kit that I have observed from numerous photo of tractors, primarily the front nudge bar and the positioning of the lights and decals.

Talking of decals, there are numbers that represent No's 2, 4 and 5 bomber groups but not my particular group, No. 1. Not a big issue 

More to come 

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 10

This looks interesting. I've never heard of that company before but their mouldings do look crisp, as you say. Good luck with the build. Having barely touched resin myself it would be good to see how well it goes together.👍

• Like 1

The gearbox on them took some practice, and if you messed up the change, you had to stop and start again from first gear!

We used to use one for moving Wessex and Puma Helicopters. Ours was a 1944 build according to the makers plate.

There is one at Newark Aircraft museum. I don't know if they have any pictures on line.

• Like 3

Pete, I couldn't see any of the tractor close up but there are pics on the Yorkshire Air Museum site but I suspect that their tractor is a post-war version . . .

Instructions for the initial build 

DB-Tractor-1-2-3-4.jpg

I will not be using the front nudge bar as I haven't seen any on wartime photos of tractors pulling bomb trolleys or even the Oil bowser.

A good reference is the film on DVD entitled 'Night Bombers'

I also cut around the front semi-circle shape  on the square base . . . seen in illustration number 2,  to allow the front grill then to hide the alteration, I added a piece to extend it slightly . . . 

DB-Tractor.jpg

Looking through the instructions I think it will be easier to paint selected parts before glueing them together

More to come 

Ian

• Like 8

On 9/10/2020 at 6:22 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

The gearbox on them took some practice, and if you messed up the change, you had to stop and start again from first gear!

We used to use one for moving Wessex and Puma Helicopters. Ours was a 1944 build according to the makers plate.

There is one at Newark Aircraft museum. I don't know if they have any pictures on line.

Yes, been there done that! We mainly used ours for moving ground equipment as they were a bit of a liability with an aircraft in tow

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Night Bombers was filmed here at Hemswell!

I popped over a few weeks back but there is no access to the station, the gates are locked up with notices restricting opening to those with a business on the site  . . .

I wanted to photograph a particular building thats all . . .

A little bit done, the centre piece is just four parts . . .

David-Brown-tractor-chassis.jpg

They are just sat together and there is a firm fit/location of the parts.

The wheels and tyres have been painted and weathered with five colours . . . so far

Ian

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

I popped over a few weeks back but there is no access to the station, the gates are locked up with notices restricting opening to those with a business on the site  . . .

Most odd. The antique centres have been open for weeks, and it's open house on Sundays when the market is on.

The guardroom has been modernised and now bears no relation to the original. 

For a first resin kit I am finding it quite easy to build. The instructions are clear enough and there aren't alot of parts 

As mentioned previously, selective painting of parts before the actual constructed starts with epoxy adhesive . . .

David-Brown-tractor-with-paint.jpg

DB-Tractor-paint.jpg

DB-tracor-parts.jpg

I have painted other such items as the steering wheel and gear levers etc so actual construction isnt that far away  . . .

thanks for looking in 

Ian

• Like 8

The instructions are clear and the steps straight forward  . . .

DB-tractor-5-6-7-8.jpg

and the parts glued in place as per instructions . . .

I have added small 'sidelights' on the front wheel arches based on reference photos.

The rear wheel inserts seen in place while I had the epoxy glue out . . .

Winch also partially constructed

DB-tractor-build.jpg

It wont be long before this is finished 🤗

Ian

• Like 8

I have made a start on the bomb trolleys that I will use to display the bombs. 

The load will be one 4000Ib 'cookie' bomb and two trolleys with 6 x 500Ibs o each.

I took the HK Lancaster kit 'cookie' off its sprue to check for the size  . . .

Bomb-trolleys-x-2.jpg

More to come  . . . 

Ian

• Like 7

You will note in the photo above that the tyres are not the same width ?

Both sets are the correct diameter but the width needs to be wider so I split the narrow set and place some plasti-card in there to get them the same. 

(I had done the first set before posting the original photo). All three trolleys now have the correct wheels/tyres.

]Bomb-trolley-wheels-2.jpg

In order to have all the trolleys the same width during construction I knocked up this simple gauge . . . 

Bomb-trolley-gauge.jpg

. . . and this is the stage I am at with the 4000Ib trolley, I saw a photo with four cross-bearers on the trolley so I have done the same  . . .

Bomb-trolley-4000.jpg

The bomb comes from the kit  . . . .

• Like 3

I wonder if anybody can give me a definitive answer to the question . . . 

Are they 1000Ib or 500Ibs bombs that come with the HK Lancaster kit ?

They look in my opinion, to big to be 500Ibs but with so many they couldn't be 1000Ibs surely ??

You get twenty of the smaller bombs as well as 1 x 4000Ib bomb

Thanks in anticipation

Ian

I have been making up the smaller bombs to be carried on the trolleys x2

Bombs-500-Ib.jpg

I have also removed the two fixing lugs that attach them into the bomb bay of the aircraft. I believe at some point during the war that some British bombs carried an American tail unit. These were square as you have probably seen as issued in the HK B17 aircraft model. The fact that you could attach tails unit that were available presents the opportunity to paint those units a different color . . . .

The 4000Ib bomb I have altered slightly as well. There was a 'lip' on the front section that can be seen in reference photos therefore to replicate this I have wrapped a sheet of plasti-card around the front 2/3rd section of the bomb . . . 

Bombs-on-trolley.jpg

I am progressing on with the second of the 500Ib trolley . . . 

Bomb-trolley-500-Ib.jpg

Thanks for looking in  . . . 

Ian

• Like 3

On the HK Lancaster boxing it states that the wingspan is 972 mm

I have also built a 1/35th scale Bedford QL, in the process of converting the AEC from AFV club to a six-wheeler.

Mojo prevents me from finishing a Ford WOT crew bus that I am also scratch building. I finished a large scale OIL bowser as well.

I modified the 35th Austin Tilly from Tamiya to a Morris Tilly.  Plus, I scratch built a Compressor trailer, two engine trestles and a 32nd scale Nissen hut.

I intend to display it for photographic purposes . . . .

Equipment-amp-vehicles-001.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Longbow said:

You have a bomb trolly gauge ?

It's looking all good ;) 

It just two lines, with 40 thou strips,  that determines the width of the trolley . . . taken from the plan I have in 32nd scale . . .

Thank you for the kind remarks

Ian

• Like 1

On 05/10/2020 at 14:24, Mancunian airman said:

I wonder if anybody can give me a definitive answer to the question . . . 

Are they 1000Ib or 500Ibs bombs that come with the HK Lancaster kit ?

They look in my opinion, to big to be 500Ibs but with so many they couldn't be 1000Ibs surely ??

You get twenty of the smaller bombs as well as 1 x 4000Ib bomb

Thanks in anticipation

Ian

50432854811_d2e0fdc282_o.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

Thanks for that Chris.

It reminded me that I have the Lancaster manual and I have checked it, thanks for the prompt . . .

I have measured the kit bombs and according to the actual bomb spec. the length and the diameter of the body indicates that these are 500Ib bombs.

IMG-1843.jpg

Spec. details added