Hobbyboss 1/48th Tornado GR.1

Peter W

On 10/27/2020 at 8:11 AM, Col. said:

Hope you get the time and conditions conducive to firing up the airbrush Pete as this one looks to be coming together well for you :) 

6 hours ago, Colin W said:

Im sharing your airbrushing pain. I think its part of the "Bitmodeller experience."

Colin😆

I really enjoy this part of modelling but sometimes it’s hard to leave the confines of the hobby room and head outside. It will be done though without too much delay 😀

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

You're making a great job of this so far, and that's from someone who is having fit issues with the ADV version.

Mike

Hi Mike, sorry to hear that your one is fighting you. I guess that I have the advantage of having already built that one and learnt something from it. This one has had it’s share of finessing with a big file too but it’s getting there.

Pete

• Like 1

Time for a small update, just to show that something is happening.

One of the hardest parts to mask on a Tornado is the intakes where the demarcation begins. With the memory of the difficulty that it caused on my last Tornado build still front and centre, I thought that I'd do it, and paint them, before I glued them on.

Painted:

5JKOW7x.jpg?1

And all ready to glue in place:

eRIrc2U.jpg?1

After gluing them on I then got it all prepped for the next stage.

Zs5wYEo.jpg?1

If Gene Hunt made models then now would be the time to say "Fire up the airbrush"

Back soon

Pete 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not replying to comments guys but have had my head down in the spray barn for the last week or so.

It's not until you get the little bits that you realise how many awkward areas a Tornado has to mask and paint a different colour. As well as that I can't believe how many bits I've got that still have to glued on in time. I always find the worst thing with modelling jets is the amount of tanks, missiles, pylons etc that go with the job. Now I know why I have been doing so many WW2 builds of late. I think that I've got them all though and it's now ready for a gloss coat or two.

oiOy78q.jpg?1

7n0Pl2f.jpg?1

LFhwmUf.jpg?1

DZlieXT.jpg?1

Definitely in the fun zone now.

Pete

• Like 6

Great!

What color did you load your fired up airbrush? 

And yes, the Tornado is king in stores... wonder if the airframe design was a bit too small for the task... range was also not great...

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Great!

What color did you load your fired up airbrush? 

And yes, the Tornado is king in stores... wonder if the airframe design was a bit too small for the task... range was also not great...

Hi exdraken - the main colour was xtracrylix Gulf War Desert Pink, which sprayed really well. Then lightened it with a few drops of white to break up the colour. It’s one of those colours that you get tired of looking at after a while though, so glad to have it done and ready for decals. 

Pete

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Colin W said:

Glad to see you sorted out the airbrush issues. Looks great as the basic airframe.

Colin

Thanks Colin - took a while to get my butt in gear and get it painted but we're there now. Still can't believe how long it took though, especially as I've worked on it most, if not all, evenings.

On to the fun, and sometimes headache inducing, bit now though.

Pete

Edited by Peter W

A bit of  leap forward on this one and getting closer to the finish line.

I got it all glossed up and the decals one without too many headaches, definitely some but not as many as I was expecting.

dyfKcvM.jpg?1

Then another gloss coat to seal it all in and then a first pass at dirtying it up. A bit more to go yet but not going too heavy as it just never looks right to me, even though it obviously is 😉

AKmYerC.jpg?1

And lastly, a lot of bits ready to go on.

tp1m3tk.jpg?1

f6ZDpX2.jpg?1

Back soon

Pete

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Jabba said:

Looks very good with the decals on. One good thing about a pink Gulf aircraft very few if any stencils.

Thanks Jabba - Very happy that they didn't have the walkway lines anyway, always dread putting those on a Tornado model.

So close now, just a few navigation lights to paint and a bit of clean up of the canopy before it gets glued in place.

Should be done in time for some proper photos at the weekend and then I'll be off to the next group build.

7ipnLIT.jpg?1

iVvOcjJ.jpg?1

So glad that I entered this group build, it really has been fun.

Pete

• Like 7