Hobbyboss 1/48th Tornado GR.1

Peter W

It's been too long since I took part in a group build but couldn't resist this one, so time to pitch my entry. I was debating either the Hobbyboss or the Revell kit for this one but thought that I'd get this one out of the pile and have a go. The problems with this kit are well documented but I'm only going to deal with a few of the bad points and gloss over the rest. The aim is to build it as 'Foxy Killer' from the Gulf War era but that may change if the mood takes me that way.

The kit

5KhfqQ2.jpg?1

The first extras - there will no doubt be more

u3iWsxt.jpg?1

0WqhEzw.jpg?1

And, hopefully, how it will look once done - apologies for the bad photo's of already bad photo's taken at RIAT many years ago.

401RRDX.jpg?1

LR34kEZ.jpg?1

Back soon

Pete

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

It will be interesting to see how you tackle the Hobbyboss version Pete.

Hi Mike,

I built the ADV version some years ago and quite enjoyed it. I think that the GR.1 has a few different problems but hopefully still going to be fun.

This was the last one:

XWkYQm1.jpg?1

Pete

• Like 4

Hi Pete, that's a striking livery😀

Whilst waiting for paint to dry on my F-4 intakes I've been playing around dry fitting some Tornado parts.  Wondering if it is easier (or better) to fit the two top and two bottom fuselage halves together first, rather than follow the sequence in the instructions. 

Mike

I have both the same decals albeit in 72nd. At Dstorm.eu, there's some mentioning of a triple load of paveways, with the airframes confirmed. During my research I noted Foxy Killer was confirmed (photo wise) that it carried such configuration operationaly.

Thought you'd like to know 😉

11 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Hi Pete, that's a striking livery😀

Whilst waiting for paint to dry on my F-4 intakes I've been playing around dry fitting some Tornado parts.  Wondering if it is easier (or better) to fit the two top and two bottom fuselage halves together first, rather than follow the sequence in the instructions. 

Mike

Mike - I've been looking at that too and I think that I did it that way last time. It's so much easier to clean up the joint without the intakes in place and allows you to align it all a bit easier. It's easier to paint the area behind the intakes too before you glue them on.

9 hours ago, 128fiddler said:

I have both the same decals albeit in 72nd. At Dstorm.eu, there's some mentioning of a triple load of paveways, with the airframes confirmed. During my research I noted Foxy Killer was confirmed (photo wise) that it carried such configuration operationaly.

Thought you'd like to know 😉

Thank for this, I was already beginning to wonder what to load it up with when the time comes so this site is a good source of information

Pete

Good luck with the Hobby Boss kit. I've never seen one but it certainly had some bad reviews. Mind you so have most of the other kits!

The F3 looks great, one of my favourite schemes.

Colin 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Peter W said:

Mike - I've been looking at that too and I think that I did it that way last time. It's so much easier to clean up the joint without the intakes in place and allows you to align it all a bit easier. It's easier to paint the area behind the intakes too before you glue them on.

Good that we appear to be on the same wavelength Pete - it would make painting the rear end much easier.  I've also noted your comment re painting the fuselage side behind the intakes before fixing them - the same applies to Phantoms.

By the way the instructions differentiate between the two cans - looking at the four "bulges" around the edge they are mirror images BUT all photos online show both to be oriented the same (with the large bulge in the SE corner), which I guess makes sense as then presumably they can be fitted on either side of the aircraft.

Mike

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Time for a small catch up after a break for a holiday. I spent a few fiddly hours on the cockpit and, apart from a bit of dirtying up, it's ready to get glued into place. I've never been a great fan of Eduard printed etch but it does make an improvement over the kit parts.

mgZQdfv.jpg?1

uswqtdS.jpg?1

0K7n6Yq.jpg?1

kgueLXv.jpg?1

Back soon

Pete

• Like 10

14 hours ago, alhenderson said:

Are you sure those seats aren't the real thing?? 😲

Hi AIhenderson - I think that the real ones would be whole lot less stressful to get the belts on 😀

1 hour ago, Marlin said:

WOW :analintruder:

Those office chairs came out nicely. :thumbsup:

/Bosse

Thanks Marlin, I'm pretty pleased with them and think that they'll look ok once in place.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spent a night gluing things together and cleaning up some of the bad bits on the kit.

There's a horrible little step on the nose parts that's awkward to clean up but patience and a good file and sanding stick does the job.

TO6rf4n.jpg?1

Next I ignored the instructions, which is a common theme for this kit, and glued the air brakes in place on the top fuselage half. It makes it so much easier to control the gap which you invariably get if you leave them until the fuselage is glued together. At least I did when I built the ADV version of this kit and didn't want the same problem again.

z5zWlta.jpg?1

Lastly, an easy win on this kit is to correct the profile of the horizontal tail ends. A few minutes with a file and sanding stick removes the wrong curve on the ends. A quick re-scribe on the ends then tidies them up and job done.

One done to show the difference it makes:

axyJztB.jpg?1

And then both ready for later:

oOllMVg.jpg?1

Back soon

Pete

• Like 5

Great looking cockpit there.

It seems the tips of the tailerons are a bit of an issue for most kits. It seems like the Hobbyboss ones are a bit curver but the Revell ones have too much taper / sweep on the  tips

Thanksfor highlighting

Colin

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 4:31 PM, Peter W said:

Spent a night gluing things together and cleaning up some of the bad bits on the kit.

There's a horrible little step on the nose parts that's awkward to clean up but patience and a good file and sanding stick does the job.

Next I ignored the instructions, which is a common theme for this kit, and glued the air brakes in place on the top fuselage half. It makes it so much easier to control the gap which you invariably get if you leave them until the fuselage is glued together. At least I did when I built the ADV version of this kit and didn't want the same problem again.

Lastly, an easy win on this kit is to correct the profile of the horizontal tail ends. A few minutes with a file and sanding stick removes the wrong curve on the ends. A quick re-scribe on the ends then tidies them up and job done.

One done to show the difference it makes:

And then both ready for later:

oOllMVg.jpg?1

Back soon

Pete

G'dsay Pete, such a small change but it really makes a big difference, I look forward to seeing what you do with this kit,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 8:08 PM, Colin W said:

Great looking cockpit there.

It seems the tips of the tailerons are a bit of an issue for most kits. It seems like the Hobbyboss ones are a bit curver but the Revell ones have too much taper / sweep on the  tips

Thanksfor highlighting

Colin

Hi Colin, Hobby Boss made a better job of them on the ADV kit but this one is not even close. A really simple improvement though, so worth the effort.

• Like 1

Another small but rewarding update. I remember from doing the ADV version that the tail end is a fiddly exercise when you want to close the reverse thrusters and add Aires exhausts, so thought that I'd tackle this bit before it gets harder to handle. 

Both top and bottom plates need a few protusions and webs removing before they can be glued in place. This is to give clearance on the exhausts. I've only shown the top plates but both were treated the same.

6HHwajP.jpg?1

The holes in back end need opening up as well and the reverse thrust actuator gear is removed from the middle framework.

RD1qAjP.jpg?1

Bottom plates in place

BztJarL.jpg?1

A view of it all ready for the exhausts later. The outer fuselage plates need to be thinned a bit too for the exhaust to clear it all.

hBMO0aE.jpg?1

Could resist dropping them on though to see how they look. A bit of fettling to do but no too shabby.

XALGcuw.jpg?1

j8zNReS.jpg?1

Z9ZqNyD.jpg?1

Next came the wings. As I'm not worried about them sweeping they will be fitted in the forward position and this means that I don't have to fret about not being able to paint the hidden bits. I ignored the instructions, again!!, and dry fitted the bottom glove vanes to the wings. They can then be slid in from the front and click into place quite nicely. Once the second wing is in place and the gears meshed, the top retaining plate can be carefully slid in and popped into the locating holes in the top of the glove vane.

OnQ5LUn.jpg?1

They really are a good fit and this shows the bottom without any glue, which can be run into the joint later.

vXSIBG6.jpg?1

Lastly, I put a little sprue spreader in the front to give a bit of positive outward pressure, which helps to avoid gaps when you put the front section on.

jSVVlCj.jpg?1

And then glued the front end on and left to dry.

Si46uDs.jpg?1

Beginning to look like a Tornado

Back soon 

Pete

• Like 9

As you say theres a bit of fitting to do around the nozzles but the new parts look great.

The wings seem to be an improvement on the Revell kit so with the great cockpit Im wondering why all the bad reviews?

Colin

On 10/22/2020 at 10:06 AM, Colin W said:

As you say theres a bit of fitting to do around the nozzles but the new parts look great.

The wings seem to be an improvement on the Revell kit so with the great cockpit Im wondering why all the bad reviews?

Colin

Hi Colin - I think that the problems with this kit go deeper than is first obvious. It goes together well with a bit of care but there are so many annoying little things that take time to correct, if you want to. If you build it straight OOB then you'll end up with a nice looking Tornado but if you want something more accurate then there are lots of shape issues and errors that will drive you crazy. I'm more of the kind of person that just enjoys building kits , so can live with a few flaws, which is just as well because I'm certainly not averse to adding a few of my own.

I've been slowly ploughing away at this one though and am getting to the end of gluing bits together. Just got to get some paint on the intakes rears and fuselage before they can be glued on and then the fun begins.

I borrowed some Hindenberger's from the Revell kit:

cPwLEgQ.jpg?1

And a few pictures of where we are at:

gUqJTHq.jpg?1

POo2FA7.jpg?1

Just got to work up the enthusiasm to get out in the ever darker and colder garage now to get some paint on.

Back soon

Pete

• Like 4

Hope you get the time and conditions conducive to firing up the airbrush Pete as this one looks to be coming together well for you :)