Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hunter F.50 (F.4)

Bjorn

7 hours ago, albamac said:

Hi Bjorn,

A lovely piece of modelling of a classic British aircraft. I'm not a lover of heavy weathering and staining but you have made it "just right". 

What brand of paints did you use as I believe aircraft in the early delivery batches were initially finished in British colours. I recently built an old 1/72 Airfix kit into a J34 ably assisted by my razor saw and a spare Hunter F4 tail pipe. Filler was sparingly used ha ha. I used spray can Humbrol 163 ( RAF Dark Green) for the upper surface and the grey blue undersurfaces were a Tamiya mix. I plan to build another J34 but have a Freightdog Models Hunter Conversion Kit with the suitable tail pipe, centre fuselage and wing modifications using the Revell F6 kit. Skal! 

albamac😀

Footnote : A Swedish Hunter pilot once commented that the Hunter flying "was a pilots dream but a mechanics nightmare" 

Thanks! Yes, that's right, they were all delivered in British Colours, bur later re-painted in similar Swedish standard colours. I used Mr. Paint, they are nice to spray, but not always spot on compared to the real thing.

The green is based om MRP-110 RAF WWII Dark Green, mixed with MRP-101 FS34079 Dark Green making it a little more olive green than standard Swedish green. The blue-grey is MRP-112 Medium Sea Grey with a little MRP-175 blue-grey 058M, which is a little less blue than standard Swedish blue-grey. It looked quite correct compared to photos of early J 34.

Edited by Bjorn

• 1 year later...