Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hunter F.50 (F.4)

Bjorn

Here is my next summer build. Airfix's new Hunter boxing, a great kit apart from one thing...

spacer.png

...and the only shortcoming is of course Airfix's somewhat lazy solution not to include a new wing. As many of you know, you have to cut away the dogtooth and replace it with new parts (incluced in the kit). To get a seam-free wing, took about the same time as the rest of the build.

spacer.png

50263537752_cdf7da9695_c.jpg

Another problem with this solution, is that the small air intakes and outlets on the body (all on the wing part), are perfect for a F.6, but not for a F.4 that had another engine. Differences are small, and I didn't bother to fix it, but it is a bit annoying - especially when you know that a new wing would have solved both these problems.

spacer.png

But apart from that, this is a brilliant kit. Fit is perfect and even the Swedish decals are great and useful - for the first time ever in an Airfix kit! I only replaced the letter on the fin, but that is only because I thougt that a red letter was more attractive than the yellow one on the decal sheet,

spacer.png

My only addition was Eduard seatbelts:

spacer.png

I wanted to do an early SwAF Hunter, so I avoided too much weathering this time.

spacer.png

A really nice model of one of the most beautiful aircraft ever! Well done, Airfix! Apart from... you know...

spacer.png

• Like 60
  • Thanks 2

Bjorn, a beautiful build, but . Whilst I appreciate the little things can be a bit of a niggle the thing that really stands out to me is that you have painted the rear edge of the canopy. This should be left clear 

Keith

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Another problem with this solution, is that the small air intakes and outlets on the body (all on the wing part), are perfect for a F.6, but not for a F.4 that had another engine. Differences are small, and I didn't bother to fix it, but it is a bit annoying - especially when you know that a new wing would have solved both these problems

I bought the Alley Cat conversions for both F. Mk. 4 and 5 and found that they're not the easiest of parts to get to fit.  For future builds I think I'll use then as patterns or templates to do my own mods to the kit parts.

With regard to the leading edge modifications I think I've come up with a less demanding method of doing the job but I need to clear some space before I can start on it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Britman said:

Bjorn, a beautiful build, but . Whilst I appreciate the little things can be a bit of a niggle the thing that really stands out to me is that you have painted the rear edge of the canopy. This should be left clear 

Keith

Thanks! What is annoying with this is that I knew it... I hav built two Hunters before, leaving this part clear. But this time I completely forgot it. But I have a plan to fix this by using the one-part canopy in the box, cutting it in two if it is possible.

• Like 1

The Hawker Hunter is, without doubt, one of my favourite aircraft of all time. I was never really sure about the Swedish Air Force scheme until I saw this particular example perform during the Sola-Stavanger Airshow in 2012.

fullsizeoutput_1b9c

Operated by the Swedish Air Force Historic Flight it is, of course, a ex-Swiss Air Force Mk.58 but the pilot produced, without doubt, the best Hunter display I have ever seen.......and I have seen plenty over the years. The weather on the day certainly helped and since I was actually working at the show, I was able to congratulate him after the routine which was good.

Now having seen your excellent rendition of an accurate Flygvapnet F.50 I'm totally sold on adding one of these to my ever increasing list of Hunter projects !.

Truly superb model. Well Done, Sir !  

• Like 2

Hi Bjorn,

A lovely piece of modelling of a classic British aircraft. I'm not a lover of heavy weathering and staining but you have made it "just right". 

What brand of paints did you use as I believe aircraft in the early delivery batches were initially finished in British colours. I recently built an old 1/72 Airfix kit into a J34 ably assisted by my razor saw and a spare Hunter F4 tail pipe. Filler was sparingly used ha ha. I used spray can Humbrol 163 ( RAF Dark Green) for the upper surface and the grey blue undersurfaces were a Tamiya mix. I plan to build another J34 but have a Freightdog Models Hunter Conversion Kit with the suitable tail pipe, centre fuselage and wing modifications using the Revell F6 kit. Skal! 

albamac😀

Footnote : A Swedish Hunter pilot once commented that the Hunter flying "was a pilots dream but a mechanics nightmare" 

• Like 1