Bitten off more than I can chew..

Foxy1972

22 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

Yes, I would imagine that would be okay. What paints are you using and what clear coat? Usually if they are all the same brand you should have no issues over painting.

I'm actually using vallejo paints but tamiya clear coat mixed with Mr colour levelling thinner.... Did try vellejo clear coats but had nothing but issues with them... 

Just now, Foxy1972 said:

I'm actually using vallejo paints but tamiya clear coat mixed with Mr colour levelling thinner.... Did try vellejo clear coats but had nothing but issues with them... 

Vallejo paint over Tamiya clear shouldn't be a problem, they're very gentle paints.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally plucked up the courage to attempt the decals... Went better than expected but not as well as I would have liked....especially the tail piece it's way out and the top piece is lop sided.. Never realised until it was to late was trying to lay down the sides and by the time I noticed it had adhered in parts so as I tried to got my brush and micro sol behind it, it started to rip... Learnt a lot from this tho from both doing it and from the invaluable advice I got... Some of which it may seem that I ignored but I didn't... I was just worried about making further mistakes by trying to correct previous ones if that makes sense?..coat of clear coat to follow and then the ultimate test to see how far out my lines are... Thanks again to everyone... 

IMG-20200930-145641.jpg

Edited by Foxy1972
  • Like 3

Well it's finally finished... And I have to say i won't be attempting anything like this again until I have ma little more than 5 months modelling experience under my belt.... Everything was going well until the body work then everything that could go wrong did go wrong... Bad decal lay down finger prints glue spills broken parts etc... Anyway it's all done now and all in all I'm not to displeased with it... At least the lines match close enough :) thank you again for the help and words of encouragement... 

image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg

image-4.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Foxy1972 said:

Well it's finally finished... And I have to say i won't be attempting anything like this again until I have ma little more than 5 months modelling experience under my belt.... Everything was going well until the body work then everything that could go wrong did go wrong... Bad decal lay down finger prints glue spills broken parts etc... Anyway it's all done now and all in all I'm not to displeased with it... At least the lines match close enough :) thank you again for the help and words of encouragement... 

Either you've done an excellent job of hiding all those issues you've mentioned in the photos (a trick in itself!) or that is a superb job for someone with just 5 months of experience - the only issue I can see is with that Honda decal on the front. You should be pleased with this, hopefully it gets a good display position.

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys really appreciate the comments... Luckily the broken parts aren't to noticeable.. It was mainly the front indicators if you look you'll see they don't sit straight after regluing.. And most if the other mess I was able to buff and polish out to a point where you need to look for them but they are still there.. 

And tbh I never actually noticed the Honda decal damage myself lol... I don't know when that happened as it didn't happen when I applied it and it has a coat of clear over it... Strange I'll have to take another look at it... No this is the same pic... Don't know why its like that on the other one... Very strange lol

IMG-20201007-150743.jpg

It's turned out to be a superb effort, please never give up! I have so many kits especially of rally cars where I was terrified of the paint and decals, but have mastered them over the years!

One thing I am impressed with though is your work using an airbrush of all things! Something I am still terrified by, mixing this and a percentage of that and the air pressure must be so and so and all the cleaning of the brush and the cups!

No I still stick to Tamiya, Humbrol and Plasti-Kote (now called Valspar as it was years ago) rattle cans!

I do a bit of casting and lot of decal printing, hydro-dip painting and customising all manner of cars and bikes. Showing that after 60 years or so and still only 72 we can all learn something new! 

• Thanks 1