Bitten off more than I can chew..

Foxy1972

OK so for my third ever model I decided I was compitent enough to up my game.... How wrong was I.. So after weeks of patience and more patience I managed to get to this point... But have now realised I'm punching way above my weight and have no hope of being able to paint the colour scheme on the body work or indeed fit the large decals.. 

Has anyone ever scraped a build due ro them being out of their depth... Or is it a case of shelving it and coming back to it at another time?... If any one has built the vfr750r and has any advice on the body work I'd appreciate it... Don't like half finished projects but don't want to mess up the whole thing by bodging the body work.

IMG-20200908-173351.jpg

IMG-20200908-173122.jpg

IMG-20200908-173013.jpg

IMG-20200908-173013.jpg

IMG-20200908-172946-BURST002.jpg

IMG-20200908-165623.jpg

Edited by Foxy1972
  • Like 2

It looks like you've done a good job on the rest of the build, so don't scrap the kit.  I must admit I've not done a bike yet (I've got a CB750 waiting for me and have my eye on the Honda RC166).  If you're worried about painting, get some plastic spoons from the pound shop and practice on those first; Tamiya decals for the car kits are pretty forgiving, just take your time, follow the instructions and put a drop of washing up liquid in some warm water to soften the decal and slide it easily from the paper.

You could always get another kit that's a bit simpler, and use that for practice.  If all else fails with the decals you can always invent a custom paint scheme.

58 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

It looks like you've done a good job on the rest of the build, so don't scrap the kit.  I must admit I've not done a bike yet (I've got a CB750 waiting for me and have my eye on the Honda RC166).  If you're worried about painting, get some plastic spoons from the pound shop and practice on those first; Tamiya decals for the car kits are pretty forgiving, just take your time, follow the instructions and put a drop of washing up liquid in some warm water to soften the decal and slide it easily from the paper.

You could always get another kit that's a bit simpler, and use that for practice.  If all else fails with the decals you can always invent a custom paint scheme.

Not to worried about the spraying aspect my airbrush is quiet forgiving for me... It just seems the instructions on the various colours needed.. And which is actually paint and which is decals seems very vague its more a case of I can't get to grips with where to start.. 

IMG-20200908-194624.jpg

IMG-20200908-194648.jpg

IMG-20200908-194819.jpg

I've just had a look at the instructions & it seems that all the red areas are decals & you have to paint the 2 shades of blue & the white .  The lighter blue is Tamiya X-4 & the darker is X-3 .  They seem to give you pinstripe decals to go between the colours which will help tidy up any slightly wobbly masking .    Of course , if you don't fancy all that masking , just paint it all any colour you like & apply a few of the decals .  What would look pretty cool is to spray all the bodywork white & apply the red decals .

I built 4 Tamiya bikes during lockdown & didn't paint any of them according to the instructions .

Edited by rs2man
additional comments

3 hours ago, rs2man said:

I've just had a look at the instructions & it seems that all the red areas are decals & you have to paint the 2 shades of blue & the white .  The lighter blue is Tamiya X-4 & the darker is X-3 .  They seem to give you pinstripe decals to go between the colours which will help tidy up any slightly wobbly masking .    Of course , if you don't fancy all that masking , just paint it all any colour you like & apply a few of the decals .  What would look pretty cool is to spray all the bodywork white & apply the red decals .

I built 4 Tamiya bikes during lockdown & didn't paint any of them according to the instructions .

Thank you all for the advice and words of encouragement... I think I'll set it aside for a few days and then come back at it with a fresh mind set... And I will see where I'm at then... Just applying the decals to the white base sounds like a good idea if all else fails.... Thanks again.. Will post pics of what the outcome is once I've tackled it.. 

• Like 1

OK so I've started the masking if anyone could cast their over it and see if I'm on the right line.. Especially the rear piece as I couldn't figure out where to mask I'm hoping that when I've sprayed this blue the decals will cover the parts it should and just leave the white along the bottom edge... Thanks.. Oh I know the yellow tape around the tank isn't straight but there is a piece of white curve tape underneath... 

IMG-20200909-164432.jpg

IMG-20200909-164443.jpg

• Like 1

Can’t offer any advise on masking

but looks like sterling work on the model

and it’s not the end of the world even if you mess up look at some of my junk it’s all fun and learning

what I will say is if you can paint rather than decal that would be my preference the decals I did on the old nsr500 were not forgiving at all but it was my 1st model

and looking at your previous efforts You will nail this no problem

You are rocking this build!   Keep it up and keep posting. 

https://www.amazon.com/TESTORS-8869-Masking-Assortment-TESR8869/dp/B007KMW5NQ 

This is a link for Testors masking tape.  It's a pack of 3 different widths.  I'm sure you can find it locally.  Makes turns and curves MUCH easier with a crisp clean edge.  Use this on the line and then use larger width tape for the reminder.  

Every build is a learning experience.  I've done something new or tried new techniques on all my builds.  Your work is excellent!  Keep it up.

To try and help and I’m really not very good at this painting but what colour are you painting next just looking at the tail I can’t work out where your going  if it’s blue why is it all the way back there if it’s blue surround on the red no plates is that the correct angle I might be talking out my @%#£ here 

I personally don’t follow any schemes but if your trying to get it right 

Just now, Ottopv said:

To try and help and I’m really not very good at this painting but what colour are you painting next just looking at the tail I can’t work out where your going  if it’s blue why is it all the way back there if it’s blue surround on the red no plates is that the correct angle I might be talking out my @%#£ here 

I personally don’t follow any schemes but if your trying to get it right 

The only colour on the tail is dark blue.. The rest is decals other than I white strip along the bottom edge.. There's more area exposed than needs to be for the blue.... But I'm working on the assumption that as long as the parts the decals don't cover are blue then the excess blue will be covered by the decals... If that makes sense? 

Like I said talking out my @#£& yes I see what your doing 

looking forward to progress on this I keep looking at these models  

i have the baby version in 1:1 scale

You keep on     I’ll sit down in the corner  and be quiet😳

1 minute ago, Ottopv said:

Like I said talking out my @#£& yes I see what your doing 

looking forward to progress on this I keep looking at these models  

i have the baby version in 1:1 scale

You keep on     I’ll sit down in the corner  and be quiet😳

No it was a valid question... Like I say I'm here for help because I'm out my depth and just winging it... But if what I've said makes sense to you now then I know I'm on the right track and not made a grave error :)

• Like 1

Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but in one of the posts above you asked how you know whether something is a decal or paint. It varies between the manufacturers, but for Tamiya the numbers in circles such as on the piece of the instruction you've pictured reference the number of the decal to be applied. Paint is usually a black hexagon with stalky thing, and the paint reference next to them - with Tamiya this will start X- or XF- for paints, TS or occasionally AS (plane colours) for spray paints.

Chances are when you're decalling, you'll find decal solutions such as Microsol/set will be useful.

As for the masking, it looks as though you've done a decent job with that. I've only really done edges with Tamiya 2mm plastic (curvy) tape, but I've read that if you're painting up to an edge with paper tape (like the yellow), you can reduce bleed by first painting the tape with clear paint to seal it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Funnily enough, I've just picked another one of the Tamiya RC30 (most beautiful bike ever made, ever!) kits up, complete with another set of spare decals and body work.

I too got to the same point in the build when the kit first came out. I shelved mine until recently, because I believed I too may not have been up to the job of finishing it well without an airbrush..

Which is a stupid thought really, as you're now proving!

I've built many kits since then and know I'll be quite capable of doing it justice, especially with the last 14 years experience with an Iwata.

Thanks for posting this Foxy, it's given me the idea to finish mine off.

Rick.

EDIT

Just a quick note on the decals on the seat hump. No matter what I tried back then I just couldn't get them to settle well. I suggest a good setting solution and warm air from a hairdryer.

Well final pieces painted and clear coated... Just need to wait for them to dry add the decals(which I'm really not looking forward too and believe will be far the hardest part) and then put them on the bike to see how well or indeed unwell everything lines up... 

IMG-20200917-151620.jpg

Edited by Foxy1972
  • Like 1

@Rick Brown thank you for the advice on the decals.. Its one part I'm pretty sure will go terribly wrong... I have micro set and micro sol on hand.. As I've found them to work just fine for me.. All be it on far smaller and simpler decals.. Well I guess time will tell... 

Good luck with your build :)

• Thanks 1

Hope I'm not too late but the tail section needs very precise masking because the red decals do not cover any blue areas as they are very thin and slightly translucent. So you will see blue through the decals if the masking is not perfect. Also not a criticism, just an observation, but to my eye the light blue colour looks miles off the shade it should be? Maybe it's the lighting or the picture, but it looks too pale to me.

Just looking again at the box art and you've painted the blue too far, it will show through the red decals. You need to have white where the red decals will go and mask precisely the edge or you'll end up with two shades of red, darker where the blue paint is underneath.

Edited by Steve Noble

25 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

Hope I'm not too late but the tail section needs very precise masking because the red decals do not cover any blue areas as they are very thin and slightly translucent. So you will see blue through the decals if the masking is not perfect. Also not a criticism, just an observation, but to my eye the light blue colour looks miles off the shade it should be? Maybe it's the lighting or the picture, but it looks too pale to me.

No to be fair you are completely right about the shade of blue... I don't use tamiya paints and according to a conversion chart this was the closest match... I'm far to early in the hobby(2 and a half models in) to try mixing my own colours/shades.... It didn't look to far out until the darker blue went up against it... But no i totally respect what you are saying and you are right it's way off the shade it should be.... And again you are right about the blue on the tail section... But to be honest it was intentional as my line of thinking was I'd rather cover blue with decals than have white showing... I didn't realise it would show through the decals tbh.... Another lesson learnt in my journey :) thank you again for the comments they are appreciated as are all comments no matter the content I asked for advice etc so will take no comments as criticism just people trying to help me along my way :)

You can still fix the tail section, it's not too late. Photocopy the red decals and trim them out, lay the photocopy onto the tail section and you will have a guide where to mask and stop the blue. Over paint the blue areas with a little white and problem solved..

16 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

You can still fix the tail section, it's not too late. Photocopy the red decals and trim them out, lay the photocopy onto the tail section and you will have a guide where to mask and stop the blue. Over paint the blue areas with a little white and problem solved..

Thank you very much... I will try and correct it.... I'm assuming I can spray over the clear coat without any trouble?