1/72 - Saab TF-35 Draken by Skale Wings - released

Homebee

22 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Thanks! :)I am not quite sure, but I would say:

-Early: 1970-1975
-Semi: 1975-1982
-Late: 1982-1993

I will also correct myself about the painting: Danish Drakens were re-painted in the late 70s, before the WDNS modification (corrected above).

Thank you!

Jay

On 9/14/2020 at 11:39 AM, Bjorn said:

Well, it is correct that the tanks are the same as on Gripen. But in fact, Sweden bought these from Denmark when they scrapped their Drakens. So Gripen has Draken tanks, not the other way. :) 

I am pretty certain the fuel tank length is not the same on the Draken and the Gripen, the former being the longer version.

HTH,

Jens

On 16/09/2020 at 06:05, Andrevell said:

Yes, I like this one ... with experimental weapons 49-1.jpgWho can share the pattern on the tail?

Interesting! I am really looking forward to this!

I think that you are aware of that this is the prototype? SK 35C never carried weapons in service, not even underwing pylons, this was - as you wrote - only for missile experiments (missile RB 05, later used on AJ 37 Viggen).

A few notes about this individual:
-The pattern on the tail was for experimental use, more and more symbols were added. I have a picture, but am not allowed to publish it for copyright reasons (see below).
- It also carried a thin yellow nose ring, just behind the radome. The thickness was somewhat thinner than the width of one of the crowns in the roundel. This was later removed, so it is optional.
- It had a different periscope on top of the rear part of the canopy.

The prototype differed in some aspects from all other SK 35C:
- The underwing fins are missing (as on all early SK 35C, they were added later in service).
- Main wheels had spokes instead of all other Draken versions that had holes (early SK had these, but they were re-placed later.)

The rest of the markings are the same as on early Drakens: 
- "Trampa ej här" (No step) old style on the top of the air intakes. Yellow text and curved line.
- "Hugg här" (Cut here), old style on body and wings, red text with red circle. 
-  "Fara - Se upp för luftintaget när motorn är igång" (Danger - beware of air intake when engine is running), red text on yellow background, red outline and arrow, behind the air intakes.
The same style of these markings can be seen on Two Bobs J 35B Draken sheet: https://www.ultracast.ca/Twobobs-48-181-J35B-Demo-Drakens-p/twob48181.htm

Other things to note with SK 35C compared to other Drakens, apart from the short tail cone.
- Early fin tip.
- Only one pylon under the belly
- Nose on A, B and C Drakens is a little more pointed than on later Draken versions,

However, I think that a SK 35C in service would be of more interest than this special individual, at least for most Swedish builders. At least for another boxing. There were a number of colourful markings on these at the end of the service, like this one. There were also examples with anti-spin-parachute for anti-stall training with red/yellow checkered markings. But feel free to contact me for pictures and more information.

418SK35_3968.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Thank you very much for the explanation and for the help offered. This is very important for the job. Until my models not professional and I just try different technologies. The next model will be done differently ... I want to release the SK-35 and the box will contain a prototype and a combat aircraft. But we do everything slowly and quarantine helps with this. 😷 Decal-TF-35-curv-pant-X3.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Andrevell said:

Thank you very much for the explanation and for the help offered. This is very important for the job. Until my models not professional and I just try different technologies. The next model will be done differently ... I want to release the SK-35 and the box will contain a prototype and a combat aircraft. But we do everything slowly and quarantine helps with this. 😷 Decal-TF-35-curv-pant-X3.jpg

Those Danish markings do not look quite right. It appears as if there is slightly too much red in the roundels (the radius should be divided 50/50 between red and white). The wing roundels were 350 mm in diameter, while the fuselage roundels were 250 mm in diameter.

Also, the cross in the tail flag is too heavy, and the white part should not have a cut-out anywhere (square ends like a real cross).

HTH,

Jens

15 hours ago, Bjorn said:

I think that you are aware of that this is the prototype? SK 35C never carried weapons in service, not even underwing pylons, this was - as you wrote - only for robot experiments (robot later used on AJ 37 Viggen).

Hi!

Maybe worth to mention that a "robot" means in this case same as a missile. If I'm correct it was a term used in Sweden to get funding from the parlament for "robots" than weapon systems...

Skål!

AaCee

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

Hi!

Maybe worth to mention that a "robot" means in this case same as a missile. If I'm correct it was a term used in Sweden to get funding from the parlament for "robots" than weapon systems...

Skål!

AaCee

:D Of course! As you know, "Bad English" is the most common language in the world... That's correct, "robot" is Swedish for missile. However, I am not sure of the history of the term, so you might be right. BTW, there is a little Missile Museum in the city of Arboga in Sweden, home of Swedish missile industry. Apart from a number of missiles, the exhibition also show a real German V1 and an Austrian J 35Ö Draken. Recommended if you plan a visit to Sweden. 

https://www.robotmuseum.se/ROBOT/ARM_robotmateriel.htm

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 3

Hi,

Story of the term was told during a visit at Linköping. I don't remember who said it or if it was just a joke... Don't spoil a good story with facts!

Anyway back to the original subject: I'm too eagerly waiting for the "Cesar" kit!

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2020 at 4:54 AM, haroldk said:

Here is my recent early Danish TF-35 Draken using the Heller kit and plenty of scratch building.

Lovely! What paint did you use for the olive green?

Cheers,

Andre

16 hours ago, Hook said:

Lovely! What paint did you use for the olive green?

Cheers,

Andre

Hi Andre,

Thanks. I used Model Master 34079 Dark Green lightened with a bit of yellow.

The panel line outlines were straight 34079 Dark Green.

Harold

Edited by haroldk

14 hours ago, haroldk said:

Hi Andre,

Thanks. I used Model Master 34079 Dark Green lightened with a bit of yellow.

The panel line outlines were straight 34079 Dark Green.

Harold

Thanks!, must try that for my future Danish builds.

Cheers,

Andre

First, I am happy to see my favourite Draken version in 1/72! I will surely buy and build this. However, there are some minor errors. First, the nose is not correct, it looks more like the non-modified recce RF-35 nose. The original TF-35 had the same pointed nose as the Swedish ones, and this was later replaced with the WDNS-modified nose:

83860_1403518005.jpg

The front pylons on the model are Swedish/Finnish Sidewinder pylons. However, Danish Drakens had six wing pylons, all of the same type, see picture above. And finally, it is hard to see on the pictures, but it seems as if the flare dispensers on the exhaust cone are missing as seen on this semi-modified TF-35 with old nose, but chaff/flare dispensers:

1846832.jpg?v=v40

But this said - I will look forward to this one - and of course also the Swedish SK 35C!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Saab TF-35 Draken by Skale Wings - box art+test build - release in 2021
  • 5 weeks later...

At least a couple of ukrainian sellers on eBay already have this model kit available for purchase. Although we're not able to see much, it's possible nonetheless to notice that the decals and nose remained the same, and that AIM-4 Falcons are also in the box. 

I was hoping it wasn't a mistake selling my Heller Draken, now I honestly don't know... 😐

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-72-SAAB-TF-35-Draken-Skale-Wings-SS-72001/274635196947?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D3a403ecfd0cd459c87caba1dea05ad88%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D193779886536%26itm%3D274635196947%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A5e8176a4-5015-11eb-805e-6a797302c5a0|parentrq%3Ad788ad8c1760a16eaa3c2b77ffea5056|iid%3A1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Saab TF-35 Draken by Skale Wings - released