A change in pace. Tamiya M10 GMC.

Longbow

Dealing with the issue of my stowage tarps being too rough. 
I hit them with a few coats of Vellejo grey primer, brushed on. Then two heavy brushed coats of Vellejo gloss varnish. 

Straps are just cut Tamiya masking tape and then varnished. 

spacer.png

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Longbow said:

Dealing with the issue of my stowage tarps being too rough. 
I hit them with a few coats of Vellejo grey primer, brushed on. Then two heavy brushed coats of Vellejo gloss varnish. 

I have always used two part putty....... roll it nice and thin coat in talcum powder so it doesn't stick to everything and drape over the vehicle or stowage ....its has weight so tends to want to lay naturally also has the benefit of being able to sculpt in things like stitching, seams, eyes for rope and such.

It has the benefit of also making other stowage look natural because you can push said stowage into the soft putty, and when it sets you can just lift it off paint and refit later.

On the Sherman i made the sheet under the stowage as the main tarp and the one on top the ground sheet. 

spacer.png

Edited by M3talpig
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Longbow said:

Firefly Ic, somewhere wet and muddy.

spacer.png

Might be a well known photo but .....still a good-un! 

Don't often see a Firefly with the duck bill tracks.

Its exactly the same issue that's making me hesitant with a Sherman kit at present. I do  enjoy the perusal stage, select a kit from the stash have look inside, look out for potential pitfalls get the imagination going to see its potential......

The George Dring story I always find fascinating, stalking the enemy on foot as he would as a game keeper in civvy street with his Firefly following on behind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

I have always used two part putty....... roll it nice and thin coat in talcum powder so it doesn't stick to everything and drape over the vehicle or stowage ....its has weight so tends to want to lay naturally also has the benefit of being able to sculpt in things like stitching, seams, eyes for rope and such.

It has the benefit of also making other stowage look natural because you can push said stowage into the soft putty, and when it sets you can just lift it off paint and refit later.

On the Sherman i made the sheet under the stowage as the main tarp and the one on top the ground sheet. 

spacer.png

Looks excellent !!

I’m working on the air recognition panel now. 

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Caught Submit by accident before finished my reply!

Stowage looking good under primer, as is the M10!

Prematurity posting will not be tolerated here !! :D

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Caught Submit by accident before finished my reply!

17 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Prematurity posting will not be tolerated here !! :D

I think he got over excited.........:frantic::D

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Longbow said:

AL-140 air recognition panel under construction.

Has somebody been watching youtube....that looks like a very similar method i saw on my recommended list the other night ..only he used silver foil......

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Has somebody been watching youtube....that looks like a very similar method i saw on my recommended list the other night ..only he used silver foil......

Silver foil didn’t work for me lol

There was no way that white glue and acrylic paint were working with tin foil. 

;)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brandon The Tanker said:

Man i have missed a lot, but that's what happens when you're in your last few weeks of school. Amazing work! Cannot wait to see this done!

Have a good day

Brandon

Thanks for the Like Strike, Brandon !! ;)

• Like 1

First paint....

Whoopie-do, what ever......

5 hours ago, M3talpig said:

I think he got over excited.........:frantic::D

If leaving a positive comment gets nothing but abuse then, humph!

I wonder why I bother, bring a pair of reprobates up from nowhere, encourage them and they turn on you!

Under normal circumstances I might have said great work on the panel, looks really good as does the faded OD.

Might have....

Then again I'm not the sort of person to shoehorn a photo of his own work in just to bask in its glory....

This is how to make tarps out of two part putty, blah blah blah...

Fiddle sticks!

Laters!

Edited by Jasper dog
  • Like 2

very nice additional kits, and thanks for tracing paper... may try grease proof BUT don't think that the glue (or varnish) will soak in? Have seen others use aircraft paper (for remote control planes) as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robw_uk said:

very nice additional kits, and thanks for tracing paper... may try grease proof BUT don't think that the glue (or varnish) will soak in? Have seen others use aircraft paper (for remote control planes) as well

Grease proof will take the varnish. 
Personally, I’m going to stay away from the white glue, in the future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SimonT said:

The paint looks really good, are you just going to weather straight on top?  Excellent work on the scratch built items, who needs aftermarket eh!?

Hi Simon....

It’s going to get a gloss coat. The Matt surface would hold too much of the oil washes and wouldn’t allow blending. 

I’m actually really pleased with the wading trunk, but forgot to dent it up before painting :D

4 hours ago, Longbow said:

Grease proof will take the varnish. 
Personally, I’m going to stay away from the white glue, in the future. 

lets try it on the old Tamiya Easy 8 - grease proof paper and Galleria matt varnish - it may be that you need some sort of stronger acryllic medium to get it to "set"

50344304693_aa49058a76_b.jpg

Edited by robw_uk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, robw_uk said:

lets try it on the old Tamiya Easy 8 - grease proof paper and Galleria matt varnish - it may be that you need some sort of stronger acryllic medium to get it to "set"

50344304693_aa49058a76_b.jpg

I’m just using Vellejo gloss now. 
A couple of brushed coats and it sets rock hard. 

Edited by Longbow