A change in pace. Tamiya M10 GMC.

Longbow

Well, I’m hoping everyone is doing well, and staying safe. 
I’ve been thinking of completing (starting) this one, now I’ve scratched the itch. 

With a few things on hand....

spacer.png

And some motivational material...

spacer.png

spacer.png

We can make a dart ;)

spacer.png

While taking a long look at the exhaust shroud... Which remains detached....

spacer.png

Looking at these....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

Looking at the photo's and plans of the deep water wading trunk, it looks as though it would be best to scratch in two or three separate parts, using the exhaust deflector as a start point. 

Most of the ones sen in action have only the lower portions still attached. They also seem to come in a couple of differing configurations. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Longbow
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, robw_uk said:

interesting... would think AM Sherman ones would fit (have seen PE versions)?

Yes, I have seen the after market ones, but I'd still have to scratch the actual hull rear attachment, as it is different. 

It seems easier to to just scratch build the whole thing, from card. 

If all else fails, keeping the deflector separate and as the start point, I can jump to plan "B" :D

spacer.png

• Like 4

Think I'll tag along on this one. Love the M10, and I do like the look of this Tamiya kit. Those Steve Zaloga books are great reference material. Have you also got "Armored Attack", which covers from D-Day to the Battle of the Bulge? Plenty of M10 photos in that!

Edited by danbuoy
  • Like 1

Great project,  nice change from German too!

I've did the Achilles version earlier this year, great kit.

I'd guess the only time the wading trunk would be applicable would be D-day, or just after, or crossing the Rhine. Do you have a specific vehicle in mind?

The Spearhead book is really good btw, particularly with the Cologne Panther video being available on YouTube. 

Good luck 

Darryl 

• Like 1

So a start has been made. 
Measurements taken, and a simple “baffle” box is produced. 
It has to fulfill 3 rolls lol. Fit, take glue, and take sanding. :D

20 thou card for the construction and heavily reinforced. 

This is Nothing compared to a scratch Sherman DD lol

spacer.png

spacer.png

1BcLgo1.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Judging from the photos it seems as though the Pacific use trunks were different to the European ones. 
I have no idea where they were produced, but I’m guessing East and West coast contractors or the European ones were maybe produced in England ??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Longbow said:

Pacific use trunks were different to the European ones. 

Probably Marine corps and not Army...just a guess....on another note i bet you get this done before i start the Jagdtiger (i need to sleep from time to time)

Looking good so far bud .....at least no complicated 3 tone paint and whitewash .....i will follow this if thats ok Lee

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

Probably Marine corps and not Army...just a guess....on another note i bet you get this done before i start the Jagdtiger (i need to sleep from time to time)

Looking good so far bud .....at least no complicated 3 tone paint and whitewash .....i will follow this if thats ok Lee

Steve

You’re always welcome here Steve ;)

I’m looking forward to plain green !! Yay !!

1 hour ago, Brandon The Tanker said:

Holy Sh*t, another one?! Wow, you are doing so many models. How do you keep track of all of them?

Amazing work so far anyways

Brandon

Hey, Brandon. Thanks for looking in !!

And thank you for the compliment !!

• Like 2

Nice to see some scratch building going on. The trunking looks good so far. I did the same on my Centaur. Scratch built the trunking rather than use the Accurate Armour etched brass offering.

John.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Proper modelling going on now!

Looks fun and quite satisfying too.

Good luck

Darryl 

Thanks for looking in Darryl !! It's a case of learning to draw, cut, and glue, a straight edge :D

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice start on the deep wading exhaust, do you have drawings to work from or are you just using pictures to get size and shape?

Roger

Hi, Roger.... No drawings available. This is all look, measure, cut, adjust to "Does it look right, and match the photos from angles ?" Then say a little prayer before adding glue. 

Rhe Mk 1 Eyeball at work ;)

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice to see some scratch building going on. The trunking looks good so far. I did the same on my Centaur. Scratch built the trunking rather than use the Accurate Armour etched brass offering.

John.

Thanks for looking in, John.... It may be a little high, coming up the rear deck, and I may have to adjust that some, prior to attaching the upper trunking. 

1 hour ago, Ron NL-S said:

Nice job so far.

An I always like to see what people use as reference and motivation or inspiration!

Thanks for taking a look, Ron !! I'm looking forward to painting this one, and already considering city/town dust options. 

15 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

Nice work, good to see something a bit different on an M10. I’ve been contemplating building a bunch of wading stacks for Brit Shermans so I’ll keep a close eye on this!

If you decide to go that route, do yourself a favor and leave off the exhaust system. It would be a lot easier with the lower hull portions in thicker card, which you can't use with the exhausts in place. There's just not enough room around the exhausts. 

• Like 3

Judging from my reference pictures, I may be a little high on the trunk.... I'm not sire if it should be level with the start of the angle, of a fraction above the start of the angle, from the photos.

See what you guys think.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SimonT said:

Looking at the images below, I'd say it needs to be an inch or two higher than the armour plating angle.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nice scratch work too :like:

Thanks, Simon !!

Looks like I’m good to go with what I have then ;)

• Like 1