C-29A Combat Flight Inspection Aircraft from U125A

Well this is my attempt to make a USAF C-29 from the Sword U125A.

First step is to make the fuselage as in the instructions, leaving out the extra 4 seat section, having first removed the stengthening from around the observation windows (the two big ones).

Then add the wings and once thoughly dry. cut away the extended fairing and underside radome.

The gaps are then filled with plastic card, that for the fuselage gap rolled until it is the same diameter as the fuselage. Tedious but worth it.

Once glued in place, let it dry thoruoughly and then fair in with filler.

resized_ad30bd71-2294-4156-9ae5-340ee1fd

resized_a5f1a750-92e7-4653-98ac-440ee33a

Next step will be to biuld the new fairing. I'll return when I've worked out how to do it.

• Like 2

Well one advantage of being retired is you have plenty of time during the day. After a hunt through my spares I came up with half of a droptank from the Revell/Italeri 1/32 Mirage III.

THe end was cut off and fettled to length. The part was too high and not wide enough so I squashed it with some pliers until it was the right height and width, then the internal edges were chafered so ot would sit on the plasticard fuselage insert which it was then glued to. A little filler was used to blend it in, though this may need reworking once the model is primed.

resized_64a8276f-d2d2-4f9a-ace0-a397d5c3

resized_970ee9ea-1d51-4d36-9f48-b4f910b5

That's it for now. more information as the job progresses.

Edited by Nigel Bunker
Wrong picture
  • Like 2

Well more progress made. Engines reduced in length to 38mm and thrust reverser mechanism cover removed. Then a piece of plastiv tube added to represent the part visible at the rear of the engines, which I presume is usually hidden by the thrust reversers on the U125A.  Reinforcing around observation windows on both sides sanded off.

Starboard side front two windows faired in with putty.

resized_426d01d7-9a9c-4f0f-940c-fdbca71b

Port side has theobservation window reduced to regular cabin window size.

resized_f735610f-6322-4dfd-9e45-19ac3465

Now just undercarriage and aerials to be added, To be followed by priming, filling, sanding, priming, filling, sanding, priming, filling, sanding, etc.

• Like 5