Special Hobby 1/48 Grunau Baby IIB

Special Hobby Grunau Baby IIB 'Over Western Europe':

This kit has 28 parts and is a quick build, but it is a recent production and appears very accurate and detailed. It has separate ailerons and rudder, while the elevators can easily be cut away so as to deflect them to the normal position seen when the glider is resting on the ground.

The cockpit cover is a single transparent part incorporating both the windscreen and the little circular windows for illuminating the instrument panel; much easier than trying to fold a tiny piece of acetate.

There are decals in the kit for French, Spanish and British gliders, including one belonging to No. 123 Gliding School at White Waltham. The instructions call for all three options to be painted in RLM 05 Elfenbein (ivory), however the only references appear to be black-and-white photos, and as far as I am aware the Air Cadets were never a branch of the Luftwaffe, so it is instead in standard RAF training colours for the late-1940s. The roundels above the wings were replaced by some slightly bigger ones. Meanwhile, one of the fuselage roundels dissolved under a misdirected spurt of glue and had to be substituted by one meant for an Airfix Bulldog. . .

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 17

Nice choice, a subject which is not seen everyday. I really like the tire on the wing, nice little detail :goodjob: Do I see that correct and you varied the yellow between the wooden and fabric areas?

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84

1 hour ago, Shorty84 said:

Nice choice, a subject which is not seen everyday. I really like the tire on the wing, nice little detail :goodjob: Do I see that correct and you varied the yellow between the wooden and fabric areas?

Thanks. The tyre is actually from a 1/35 BMW motorcycle and so is slightly larger than it ought to be. The wooden areas were primed in brown and fabric areas in cream, and then thin coats of yellow added until it looked about right. . .

• Thanks 1

Really excellent model. Got meanwhile 3 in the stash, one from Fly, one from Spin and this wonderful from Special Hobby. Once built the resin kit from Ardpol. But I think this one is the best choice. The price is unbeaten, for this quality. 
A good fellow has an original that was built in 1939 and is still flying with it with the registration D-5457.  So the annual Grunau Baby Meetings are amazing and you feel like you are in a time capsle. 
very nice! We need more gliders in 1/48. Why not?

all the best

Andy 

Edited by Andy Dyck
  • Like 1