I hate my Olive Drab, I think...

On 9/8/2020 at 4:23 PM, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Ok, here’s the matt cote, port is without the khaki, starboard is with. I think without will do, but I do like the fading it has instantly added. I may do some here and there. Ratio was about 30:1, literally a drop. Great idea guys, looks great!!

Also carried on with some engine mess on the wings. Sorry about the orientation of some of the pictures, difficult to manage on the mobile!

ACED422-A-6-DD9-4-F7-D-82-E3-55095-C57-C

E9846871-E305-4-DA4-B4-FC-4394-AECE5954.

5-BCD4040-D17-D-436-C-85-E4-0-B3865-E4-F

8-C93-F5-ED-525-C-421-C-9-F42-5-A5-D19-C

3-B35-DA6-F-1389-4645-BA65-F89473-F23128

Oh, I like that !! 

Time to watch, "The Cold Blue." Again !! ;)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Oh, I like that !! 

Time to watch, "The Cold Blue." Again !! ;)

How have I missed ‘The Cold Blue’ on the documentary circuit?! I shall be finding that to watch before I complete her. 🎥

14 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Well done ViK !!

Look good, Matt varnish is our friend !!

Keep carry on that good job !!

CC

Good to hear from you CC and thank you for the ever kind comments. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Patrick Martin said:

You could always spray an inch or so of the wing tip to see how it looks....

PM

That’s the plan, I’m looking at some areas that may have succumbed to more exposure and might mask them up. The reverse where a panel may have been replaced, for example the tail fin. Oh I can’t wait 😊 

Edited by Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen

Hi everyone, hope you’re all keeping well. I’ve managed (finally) to make some progress on the Belle. I had an airbrush failure meaning I spent quiet a while troubleshooting that instead of working on the model. Anyway, flat cote is now on and what a difference it makes! Really pleased I didn’t go through the effort of repainting as it has lightened it enough for my eyes. I added some khaki to part of the cote and used this to tone down the decals to give them a warmer and somewhat faded look. Pictures below, again sorry about the orientation, uploading straight from my mobile.

202-FC40-C-5080-448-A-95-D8-3-BFD5170820
5-DF6-B209-93-C9-4-AA2-B603-08-C3394-F1-
82206-B0-D-9-B69-4514-868-E-64-D58-DAC35
8-D267744-5-C97-4-A42-B516-C726-EECCC4-C

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all, making some progress albeit slow on the Belle. I’ve now flat coted the whole model and started added some staining plus the smaller bits post the main build. Going well so far, the landing gear was a pig but not as bad as the Revell’s Lancaster which I built recently... 

553818-D0-A939-43-A2-A4-C2-55-BF5-F38-A5
BFFE2-EAB-9720-42-F6-B536-02-A8-D2949282
D4671-C37-EA74-4556-9141-21-CDB499-E134.

• Like 6

On 10/1/2020 at 12:41 AM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Those are some really impressive results!  I love the careful shading along the panel lines.  Did you pre-shade using black, against a primer coat?  I'd say the olive drab looks just right.

Thanks, appreciated! Over primer I used a darker shade of the grey as a base colour, chose a shade that had a hint of blue in it, then started building up the main colour in thin coats until got the effect I wanted. I then passed over some areas with pure white thinned down to create highlights. Same on the OD except I used OD as the base and Khaki as the highlight. I used to pre-shade with black along the panel lines but I prefer the look of this. I also black base and marble the colours if its a darker camo.

23 hours ago, amos brierley said:

Starting to come together nicely-nicely. 🙂

Cheers Amos! I hope to finish it over the next few days... losing pace now 🥱

Edited by Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Longbow said:

Looking very nice !!

The air crews had the maintenance teams overspray the yellow codes with a heavily thinned light grey to tone them down a little. 

Your khaki probably did exactly the same job. 

Cheers! I did not know that. I was thinking about how much more I should tone it down but it’s a balance between the scale and making it realistic. I think I’m going to stop here before I cock it up! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

And it's finished. Will post an RFI with some more shots. Thanks for the great suggestions that stopped me repainting the model!

IMG-1983.jpg

That's looking superb! Good call all round.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1