I hate my Olive Drab, I think...

Hi Everyone, I'm quite far through my Memphis Belle build in 1/72 and I'm having a dilemma. I'm not sure I like (I might hate) my OD. It's worse when I think about it to when I go back to and see it again, but thought I'd get some honest advice from you lot before I continue... I know there are lots of variations and I know that sun bleaching and fading took its toll overtime but I think it looks too dark. Considering the work I will have to do, to re-spray a lighter colour, with decal masking (oh god) and repainting the medium green camo, I'm verging on not! I've taken the pictures in various light, so, what are your thoughts please?

IMG-8104.jpg

IMG-8099.jpg
IMG-8100.jpg
IMG-8101.jpg
IMG-8102.jpg
IMG-8103.jpg

Edited by Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen
  • Like 7

It does look a bit dark to me ☹️ as I understand it US olive drab was a brownish green. Yours looks a bit too green.

I wouldn't panic yet as said above given some Matt varnish it might take the tone down a notch. Then you could weather it with light greys and light browns. Another couple of coats of Matt and it should go another tone lighter.

Or leave it in bright sunlight for a year it will soon tone down 😜

• Haha 2

Thanks everyone! Consensus is to get the Matt varnish out and maybe add some grey or Khaki to it... genius, never thought of that!

May get out into the man cave tonight and try that on one of the wings to see. My only nervousness is that I use Vallejo Matt which I water down, my only khaki is Tamika Acrylic. My bet is they’ll get upset when mixed together...

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

What all the above have said.

Chris

Plus ☝️ one ...gloss always tend to darken the whole thing untill you Matt cote..

I would not try to do more with it ...I think it will come out very nicely 😎

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Maybe someone else's wing if you aren't sure about the paints mixing! Have you got a hulk that you can try it on?

I decided to just go for it! Foolish or brave, I’ll let you decide 😂

It worked well, but tried one wing without the colour in the matt cote. Will post some pictures shortly to see what you all think. For now, it’s back on with the oil/exhaust stains! Mojo coming back...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Matt varnish (possibly with a touch of light grey in it?) will bring it down a shade or two. I wouldn't repaint from where you are, looks far too good!

Regards,

Adrian

I agree, or perhaps a very diluted khaki. I had a similar dilemma on my Fort build so did over spray it. Perhaps try on a small area first. It will look lighter after a matt coat.

• Thanks 1

Looks splendid to me, and as the others have, a coat of matt lacquer should make a world of difference.

Have you thought about oil-dot fading to add some bleaching effects before lacquer? It's not a technique I've tried, but I've seen some very effective use of it.

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 2

Ok, here’s the matt cote, port is without the khaki, starboard is with. I think without will do, but I do like the fading it has instantly added. I may do some here and there. Ratio was about 30:1, literally a drop. Great idea guys, looks great!!

Also carried on with some engine mess on the wings. Sorry about the orientation of some of the pictures, difficult to manage on the mobile!

ACED422-A-6-DD9-4-F7-D-82-E3-55095-C57-C

E9846871-E305-4-DA4-B4-FC-4394-AECE5954.

5-BCD4040-D17-D-436-C-85-E4-0-B3865-E4-F

8-C93-F5-ED-525-C-421-C-9-F42-5-A5-D19-C

3-B35-DA6-F-1389-4645-BA65-F89473-F23128

Edited by Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen
  • Like 14

Funny, the starboard tailplane without the khaki looks lighter to me in the photos! I don’t know what the raw colours look like - is the khaki significantly lighter than the green you are trying to lighten? I guess there’s no substitute for your own eyes and judgement here, looking forward to seeing what you get to.

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Funny, the starboard tailplane without the khaki looks lighter to me in the photos! I don’t know what the raw colours look like - is the khaki significantly lighter than the green you are trying to lighten? I guess there’s no substitute for your own eyes and judgement here, looking forward to seeing what you get to.

Regards,

Adrian

You’re right Adrian! It helps if you get your port and starboard round the right way! The port tail plane is without paint, the starboard is with khaki. Sorry, I’ll edit the post. I think overall there’s not going to be a need for khaki in the matt but I will use it here and there with some masking for effect. Great suggestion, thank you!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

I think overall there’s not going to be a need for khaki in the matt but I will use it here and there with some masking for effect. Great suggestion, thank you!

Seems like a great idea. Really like the look of it right now!

• Thanks 1

Adding a lighter tone color to clear matte varnish: this is a tried-and-true method that our local "Experten" here in Northern VA/DC use to good effect, particularly on WWII desert pink schemes, but it can be applied more universally to other camo colors.  I think your B-17 looks really great!  The matte coat will bring out the scale effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1