Tornado colour questions

Pappy

G'day people,

Possibly asked and answered previously but for an RAF Tornado GR.1/4 what colours are the wheel wells, undercarriage legs and  intake interiors?

I have looked at pictures and the wheel wells are a very light grey. I have read that FS36622 is a close match however, in some pictures there appears to be a difference in colour between the undercarriage  and the wheel wells proper and I don't think that this is just grubby paint.

The intake trunking is also a mystery to me. I don't think this is white but also a light grey. I realise that there is a black area inside the intakes with the exterior colour continuing inside the intake, but further back the intake reverts to a lighter colour?

cheers,

Pappy

4 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I was of the understanding that they were BS381C-627 Light Aircraft Grey

Yes no FS colours on a Tornado.

ZA452%252019.JPG&key=57419e7ab56c1fd0be2

ZA452%252020.JPG&key=4330bab8a77817a91f8

ZA452%252021.jpg&key=3a0693770149899765f

ZA612%25202.JPG&key=df42fcb31be402944900

Intakes outer colours down to a point

ZD811%25205.JPG&key=c2eb389d543d2d67f54f

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

G'day,

Thank you all for your replies. I understand the difference ebtween FS colors being essentially a uS standard and BSC colours a British standard and hence not 'correct' in the case of a Tornado.

The suggestion of FS.36622 is typically put forward as it is readily availabe in several different brands of paint and looks to be a close match. I agree that when viewed against other, darker colours 36622 will looke lighter so probably not a bad option but I wasa after the ófficial' colour which Jamie has suggest3d as 627. I can now have a trawl through the paint rack and see what matches that,

thanks very much everyone,

Papppy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm by no means a subject matter expert, but I was under the impression the color used in the wheel wells was actually Light Admiralty Grey (BS381 697).  This is similar to but lighter than Light Aircraft Grey, and a darker/cooler ("more blue") hue than FS36622.