F4U Corsair - are gun muzzles easily visible?

JackG

In the wartime photo, the sun is a little bit off the right side of the fuselage so the muzzle area of the guns are in shadows, which would help to explain not being able to see them.  Of course there is always the possibility that the muzzles have been airbrushed out by a censor for whatever reason.

Later,

Dave

55 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Due to the staggered installation only the innermost gun muzzle on each side is visible from outside.

I know what you mean but does that mean that the museum restoration that we can see in the first post is wrong?  They certainly aren’t staggered in those photos.

Cheers,

Nigel

19 minutes ago, warhawk said:

Maybe those in the museum bird are dummy gun barrels

Exactly! See port wing. Even the slightest change in aspect angle makes the muzzle disappear (starboard):

50318375983_e121139bf4_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Red Bull F4U appears to have a bit more of an accurate installation of the guns. Personally I wouldn't bother add them unless it's 1/32 scale or larger as you are just not going to see them unless you shine a flash light down there. Note this picture maybe have been taken with a longish FL so the barrels maybe appear a bit closer to the leading edge that they are.

F4U-Corsair_OE-EAS_OTT_2013_03_Browning_

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Not sure if this drawing is correct. See photo in post #8.

They look the same to me, I think the gun in post 8 is just as far in. It's just the direct light is picking up the metal on the end of the barrel and this drawing seems the same.

6d97bde29301c05fedce3dcde6a4c4b3--constr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the depth from leading edge are around 11" (inboard gun), 18" (mid) and 24" (outboard)

I don't think that Vought had wrong factory drawings of each part

blast tube. lenght are 11"3/4 ; 18"11/64 & 24"9/16

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1