Malta Spitfire Vb Trop - 1/48 Hasegawa

Think I am calling this done before I mess anything else up and have to touch it up.  This was for the Spitfire/Seafire GB that I wasn't able to finish on time.  Built the Vb non Trop version back around 2002/2003.  The only two issues I really had were the Trop lower nose section (filled and rescribed) and the wing root.  For the wing root I matched everything up, which basically meant working from the tips in.  That left a gap that was filled with plasticard and some brushable sprue goo that I made.  Had a horrible time getting the underside roundels to conform to the little bits.........lost track of how many times I sliced, pricked, coated them (can I borrow your calculator to figure it out?).  I lost the rectangular mirror so I just tossed the round one on.........field change let's call it.

Mostly out of the box with the exception of;  Ultracast wheels, Ultracast Exhausts and Print Scale decals.  Hair spray chipping for the main larger areas, pencil for the rest.

Painted with Tamiya paints, weathered with various oils, AK/Mig washes and AK Pigments.

50317903182_ffa0a16342_c.jpg

50317053218_7af3fd20eb_c.jpg

50317053158_f3cddda1ca_c.jpg

50317053098_8afd3d29fd_c.jpg

50317719061_cd898f914d_c.jpg

50317719021_b1cbc451f1_c.jpg

50317052968_9c8d102900_c.jpg

50317902902_25104d4559_c.jpg

Final picture is the 2002/2003 shelf queen version...........other than the upper antenna mast and lower pitot tube it has lasted pretty well.

50317053118_5172d46e76_c.jpg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 2

Possibly yes and no.  Beurling flew with the Takali wing, which was at the centre of repainting desert camouflaged aircraft into one or more of the blue schemes.  However we know that he flew for a while in one of the aircraft left behind when 615 Sq flew to the desert.  As this wasn't a Takali-based unit, quite possibly it had never been repainted anyway, and/or  been repainted for its potential desert use.  I would however suggest that normally Beurling would have flown an aircraft painted either with Dark Mediterranean Blue or some substitute for this.

I don't think that pilots on Malta had the luxury to use personal airplanes, but flew those that were available. The fact that they were photographed in a certain machine doesn't really mean it was their regular mount. 

15 minutes ago, Shark444 said:

Is it just me, or does the Malta area of operations not provide some of the best and off-the-wall paint schemes for Spitfires?  LOVE the blue topsides!

I'll be honest, this Malta theater is new for me.  When the Spitfire STGB came up I just started looking for something different.  I am also working on a Hawker Typhoon and didn't want to do a typical Spitfire scheme.  I try to find, but not always, unique schemes or markings and when I saw the blue Spitfires I knew I had to do one.

• Like 1