MRCA P02 XX946 Revell 1/48

Colin W

That's looking good and not far off finished. Glad my old decal artwork was of use, I had to find which hard drive it was on otherwise I'd have offered it earlier and I didn't want to promise it and then not be able to deliver!

Steve

Edited by BritJet
typo
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2020 at 8:06 AM, BritJet said:

Lovely finish, hope you're pleased with it.

Very pleased with the final result. I am quite used to making my own decals but they are very time consuming so you certainly helped me hit the deadline.

Thanks again

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Well just as I thought it was all over I found another Tornado book in the pile in the corner. This has an excellent picture of XX946 on long finals showing the 'square section fairings attached to the tailplane tips'! It goes on to note these were for flutter testing and were only fitted for the first few flights.  Since my model is supposed to be representative of the first flight I've gone back and added these. Simple square section rod added to the tail planes tips.

White rod added to the tail plane tips.

20201213_173604

Now painted red before the build finished.

20201213_200701

I'm glad I got over my OCD earlier in the year!   🙂

Colin

• Like 4

• 3 years later...

@Colin W that looks beautiful.

I have an on-line-auction-win Airfix MRCA that I want to finish in this colour scheme but the decals are beyond help: I certainly don't want to do '946 in her current weapons loading trainer colours though.  I think you've at least inspired me to dig the kit out and get all of the big bits together.  Please could you tell me how wide the red areas of the tailerons are?  That way I can work out the masking for the outer wing panels, thank you.

19 minutes ago, stever219 said:

how wide the red areas of the tailerons are?

Hi @stever219, The red is 16mm from the original tip, 17mm with the anti flutter bars added. This is 1/48 of course. You could also just work off the panel lines using my last picture as a guide. The red goes out from the panel line on the leading edge strip. 

Glad to help

Colin

• Thanks 1